Need your help for identifying a serious bug!! Solved in 2.4.2

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks...
I stumbled over a serious bug in Bitwig, which is everytime repeatable on my system:
The graphics of internal plugins change the sound of the plugins output if the plugins are visible/uncollapsed or not/collapsed... (bug report to Bitwig is done too)

I attached a test project with just a library kick playing a 4 bar loop and Bitwigs Transient control plugin...
Test.zip
Play the loop and switch between the kick track and the master track while the loop is playing...
Pay attention to the transient of the kick...
What happens here, is that as soon as the master track is selected, the transient is less pronounced and the kick sounds therefore a bit more dull...
The same happens, if you stay on the kick track and collapse/uncollapse the transient control...

I recorded the master output in IL Edison and this is what happens here:
Test.jpg
As you can see, the first 2 transient are much more pronounced as the second two...

Please make this test and tell your results here as it might be possible, that this issue could be graphics card related...
I am using my onboard Intel HD 630...

Furthermore, I think that the transient control is just one problem... I have the feeling that more plugins alter their sound depending if their graphics are visible or not, which would be a bummer and should be resolved as soon as possible...
Please post your thoughts and results here... thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Trancit on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

I bounced the kick track first(and muted it)
then bounced the master track
and:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No, this is not how it works...

You have to make the gui of the transient control visible and unvisible by either switching between the kick and the master track or by collapsing/uncollapsing the transient control...
Therefore it doesn´t work with bouncing both tracks... you have to record the output by a plugin i.e. IL Edison or the free MRecorder from MeldaProductions (there are other freeware solutions too) and while recording you have to switch between the kick track and the master track i.e. every bar

although i think i'm not getting what you're trying to say,
we have the same results?
the transient on my bounced master is quieter as well.

also do post what the devs reply to you

Did you send a bug report to support@bitwig.com ?

larsomat wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 am Did you send a bug report to support@bitwig.com ?
Quote from my posting:
Trancit wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:45 pm ...visible/uncollapsed or not/collapsed... (bug report to Bitwig is done too)...

Last edited by Trancit on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

There have definitely been a few issues with certain devices not responding properly when not visible in the GUI - there was a bug with Steps mod fixed recently where it was not running when you couldn't see it. Makes sense that the same thing could exist for other devices.

Trancit wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:30 am Made a video showing this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm0nTYvNbbw&t=
I just tried this, like in the video, and I can confirm it. The difference is, that for me, it only happens on the first clip in the arranger.

By the way, I agree completely what you said at the end. :(

Also, Bitwig always had issues with clicks randomly happening. For example when the play head reaches a clip on a muted track right after making a track solo. Maybe it is not related to this bug, but makes you wonder what's going on. Is it a timing / PDC issue, who knows...
Last edited by anoise on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As I showed with the image of my recorded kick, it cannot be only a timing issue in my eyes...

I still can not reproduce it, but I assume it´s getting worse if you are chaining multiple internals like comp + eq+ transient etc...

After some more testing, it is like in the video. Bug fix needed.

Just watched the video and this is a very interesting find, good detective work! I wonder how many of the other sporadic bugs that people come across are related to the same underlying issue (e.g. the first-play-through-clip one that a lot of people suffer from).

What buffer size are you using, out of interest?

Hez wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm Just watched the video and this is a very interesting find, good detective work! I wonder how many of the other sporadic bugs that people come across are related to the same underlying issue (e.g. the first-play-through-clip one that a lot of people suffer from).

What buffer size are you using, out of interest?
Yes I fear this is a quite deep rabbit hole...
I am at 44.1kHz with 512 samples buffer which would be more or less 10ms...

Couldn't reproduce, on Mac btw.
fixed.png
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”