Bitwig 2.4 and aggregate devices in MacOS

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I want to use the inputs of my Roland Boutique synths together with my interface as an "aggregate device" like described here:

https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/how- ... n-your-mac

I get no sound on the inputs (works fine in ableton).

Could someone here please test something for me?

Create an aggregate device that consists only of your interface (no need for Roland Boutiques here). Use that device as input source. Connect external synth. Do you get an input signal? If not: Does it work in ableton (or another DAW)?

I'm already in contact with support, but they don't acknowledge that it's a Bitwig bug.

I'd like to know if other people can reproduce this problem.

Thanks!

I am using aggregate devices pretty often without problem. Bitwig doesn't care which device it chooses, the OS is delivering it. One trap could be the order. If you add it as last device you would need to select a different input number...
Simply step through all until you get input and don't forget to switch on that little speaker icon for monitoring the input. As Bitwig sets it to automatic (switch automatic off for that purpose, only then the setting will be stored), it easily gets switched off without notice...

Hm, weird. Which MacOS version do you use?

I tried it with 10.13 and 10.14. On two computers. I get no sound from my aggregate devices in Bitwig.

Like I said: I get sound from the normal device, I know how to configure inputs and how to arm a track.

Also, my aggregated devices work without problem in ableton...

I use aggregate devices also. As mentioned earlier, the order of the devices added to the aggregate device can make a difference. To hear things, I had to choose different inputs than what I expected until I reordered the devices. (You can do this in AudioMidi setup on the screen where you select the interfaces for the device. The order you choose them determines the order in the device.)

Not sure why it’s different in Ableton without understanding more about your set up. I’m on 10.13.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

Thanks for the replies.

I tried all inputs, they are all quiet. But if they work for you, it's not a general Bitwig problem with aggregate devices. But a very specific problem with my setup.

Good to know.

I have lots of other virtual devices (soundflower, menubus etc.) in my system. Maybe they are interfering.

I digged a little deeper. The issue actually doesn't occur when I use the same aggregate device that I use for the inputs also as output device in Bitwig.

Since I use menuBus (for Sonarworks and Span on the Master) as output device this is a problem for me.

I guess I'll have to come up with a workaround until this issue is resolved.

I informed support.

Good to know. Thanks.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

larsomat wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 am I digged a little deeper. The issue actually doesn't occur when I use the same aggregate device that I use for the inputs also as output device in Bitwig.
That sounds more like a bug, are the sample rates the same for input and output devices?

I can confirm this is still a problem in V3. When I choose an aggregate input device and different output device there is no input. Only when I choose the same aggregate device for input and output do I get sound.

Posted about this too, never got it to work, gone back to Ableton...would love to see a fix.

M-Prod wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:53 am I can confirm this is still a problem in V3. When I choose an aggregate input device and different output device there is no input. Only when I choose the same aggregate device for input and output do I get sound.
This is of course the solution then. Use an aggregate device which includes all ins and outs you want to use. Its a bug but not a show stopper...

Sure and it's not a biggy. It's just that it adds unnecessary latency (up to double, depending on the config) and instability. And in some scenario's you just want another output completely. E.g I have reference 4 and want to use it as a systemwide output (instead of the plugin version) or when I record a studio movie with sound flower. The only option then is to create an aggregate device with 3 devices adding more latency and instability.
BTW a little off topic, but if you experience crackles and instability with aggregated audio interfaces, I recently started to use a word clock cable between my interfaces and the aggregate device has been super stable ever since.

I had a lot of issues with 3.x using aggregate devices. Never completely solved. From what I understand, they were longstanding. I just decided to switch input devices as necessary. Check that the devices are set to the same sample rate.

Return to “Bitwig”