Workflow Wishlist: 3 new Feature Request

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was demo'ing those Feature Request on Acid Pro 7 (now Magix Acid Pro 8).

Not sure why people are starting to talk about a Drum Editor, but since we're at it: why not an in-place drum editor (just like In-Place Midi Editing)?

Ezhdproductions wrote: Honestly, don't care about the in place midi editing. Always seems more troublesome personally.

In-Place Midi Editing is not only a matter of Screen space (though nowdays many producers use 13"-15" laptops to produce).

It's a matter of editing your midi while being aware of what's happening around it.

Plus it speeds up a workflow. Hit Rec, play some Midi, make a Mistake: correct it on the spot. No more looking down, no more scrolling back to the correct part, no more wondering "is that where this other midi track starts?".

Cubase did it, Sonar did it. People who don't want to use it just don't, but people who do, have never used the dedicated midi editor ever again.

Zacchino wrote:
Ezhdproductions wrote:It's a matter of editing your midi while being aware of what's happening around it.
Well, that's why Bitwig has one of the most advanced multi-track editor, where you can edit your MIDI relative to other tracks or even (single) audio track AND it follows the playback, so it's in practice like a magnifying glass for selected tracks.

But sure, it would be good to have this as an option.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

"No more looking down, no more scrolling back to the correct part, no more wondering "is that where this other midi track starts?"

You what? Have you tried the Edit Panel Layout? In Layer mode? Looks something like: (as a bonus it doesn't pop up from the bottom so your eyes don't have to strain looking down :hihi:)
Edit Panel Layout.png
I don't know what to say about your getting lost. It all looks straight forward to me. :shrug:

Sure, it would be fantastic to have yet another way to view and edit the same data, so long as I never have to look at it :D, after some of these perhaps: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=499400

Buy hey, ultimately it's up to the devs. There's few of them and too many FR to ever satisfy everybody's particular workflow.

Good Luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JHernandez on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JH

I have no interest in in-line midi editing... I've had that available in other software and ended up not using it. Maybe there is an implementation I would use in some software I haven't tried.

I like Bitwig's approach I can keep the tracks view and have an editor below... or if I want to do some serious midi editing, I can switch (via key command) to the full screen editor.

I can see Clip or Track view and single or multiple clips all track aligned. It is basically in-line editing in terms of the reasons people express for having in-line editing. Being able to see clip relationships etc.

So I would rather Bitwig put their dev time into stuff that is needed more. By needed more I mean, stuff that simply cannot be done right now (i.e. clip legato mode) or where there would be a big workflow improvement rather than like in this case where we already have something very akin to in-line editing.

pdxindy wrote:I have no interest in in-line midi editing... I've had that available in other software and ended up not using it. Maybe there is an implementation I would use in some software I haven't tried.
^ this. Cubase has a very robust in-place editor, but fussing with something that is only track height is a major pain. I always ended up opening the main editor, and getting it done in 1/4 the time, even though I really liked the "idea" of the in-place editor.

Also +100 to the comments about Bitwig's layered editing mode - you can superimpose MIDI notes on top of audio attack transients (!) if you want. It sort of makes in-line editing a redundant operation (in my oh-so-humble opinion :ud:). I really appreciate the Bitwig R&D on that one.

I feel that a lot of the items on that list could be solved with one simple addition: allow us to kick things into an external wave editor. That would handle sample-accurate edits, offline plugin processing, envelope-based pitch/time operations, metadata, restoration / spectral repair, etc. It would prevent Bitwig from having to commit development time to things that only benefit a portion of the community (but for whom those operations are really important). WaveLab Elements is $99 USD. There are free ones out there. And then there's stuff like Izotope RX, which does anything you could possibly imagine...and doesn't overlap with the Bitwig feature set.
Bitwig 2.4 | Intel i9 7940X | Win10 | RME UCX | Focal SM9

meta-redundant wrote:I feel that a lot of the items on that list could be solved with one simple addition: allow us to kick things into an external wave editor. That would handle sample-accurate edits, offline plugin processing, envelope-based pitch/time operations, metadata, restoration / spectral repair, etc. It would prevent Bitwig from having to commit development time to things that only benefit a portion of the community (but for whom those operations are really important). WaveLab Elements is $99 USD. There are free ones out there. And then there's stuff like Izotope RX, which does anything you could possibly imagine...and doesn't overlap with the Bitwig feature set.
I totally agree. It's one of the items on my wishlist that I use all the time in Reaper:
http://bitwig.shadiradio.com/#External-audio-editor

If Bitwig had external audio editor integration, downstream ripple editing, comping, and auto crossfades when dragging overlapping clips, I wouldn't use Reaper ever again for non-music editing (podcasts, dialog, etc). I know it's not made for this purpose by the developers, but the rest of the Bitwig workflow is just so good and freeing.

JHernandez wrote: You what? Have you tried the Edit Panel Layout? In Layer mode?
Yes I have! It's very handy indeed. I can't recall which DAW came up with this first (Logic? Studio One?).
Matter of fact, I always got this answer whenever I posted this Feature Request on other DAWs forum.

But I can't stress it enough, hitting a Hotkey to edit a midi clip in-line within the sequencer itself has always been flawless and fast.

Think about it: when you record your Midi performance, editing some mistakes one the fly with just 1 hotkey (or why not, by enlarging the track's height), is blazing fast.

I recently saw Tracktion Waveform is doing it as well, and their motto is "less clicks, less windows".
Cubase came up with it and lots of Classical / Movie composers are using this feature to speed up their midi editing workflow. Sonar did it as well and everybody loved it.

It's not a big hassle to make it happen development wise, as it doesn't require much GUI work. And if some don't use it, it won't disturb their habits.

Zacchino wrote: But I can't stress it enough, hitting a Hotkey to edit a midi clip in-line within the sequencer itself has always been flawless and fast.
No it hasn't always been flawless and fast. At times it has been clunky and annoying.
Zacchino wrote:Think about it: when you record your Midi performance, editing some mistakes one the fly with just 1 hotkey (or why not, by enlarging the track's height), is blazing fast.
I do that now in Bitwig... it only takes one hotkey to open the full screen editor, make the edit I want, then hit the same hotkey to get back to arrangement view. It's just as fast...

Ears-only mode sounds superbe. Would love to have such an option. Lately I use only parametric non-graphical EQs. Forces me to focus on the sound. I must admit, i’m not so self-confident yet. Insane that you feel insecure by just using your ears.
That way I also feel whether compression does anything to my sound. Often I have 2-3 db gain reduction shown in bitwig’s dynamics device but when i’m honest to myself, i don’t hear a difference 😮

For me the most important thing that s missing it s a groove template or something to import grooves, as Live has. The way to import old machines grooves make sounds your music very different.

Sommething called GROOVER , why not?? 😇

Weird that people didn t mentioned it..

Oh they have . . . there's a few of these feature request/top #/wish list threads. Here's a couple. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=259&t=511372
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=499400
-JH

Midi Chase
Midi Chase
Midi Chase

Also as someone mentioned, A Groover would be nice.A basic effect would do,changing the position and velocity of a group of midi notes/onsets,but i hope they keep it intuitive.

I haven't come across this feature requests earlier, so I thought I'd share this here:

Countdown timer for clips

During live performances, I might not be able to easily see what clip quantization (each) clip has. I might launch a clip but that clip might launch earlier or later than I've planned for, depending on where it "snaps" and quantization setting of individual clips.
I would very much appreciate some kind of indicator that provides me with a countdown timer (either in seconds, or better yet in bars:beats). The placement of such a countdown timer can be located semi-transparently at (the lower right / left) corner of a clip.

API for Bitwig's GUI

I'm not sure whether it's possible to hack together such a functionality using Bitwig Studio's controller API, so this brings me to the following feature request: An API for modifying / augmenting Bitwig Studio's UI. Similar to a controller API but for Bitwig Studio's UI elements. That would potentially make it possible to hack something like the above together by sufficiently motivated 3rd parties.

Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.
((( ~ )))

Implement a voting system, otherwise this is useless. Let the community decide whats most important, not you.

Personally, id like a midi editor / piano roll with similar features to FL Studio (or rewire capabilities).

Return to “Bitwig”