Workflow Wishlist: 3 new Feature Request

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello @Everyone,

With Shadi's help, we submitted 3 new Feature Requests for Bitwig.
http://bitwig.shadiradio.com/
(the last 3 at the end of the page)

- Direct Edit of Waveform
- In-Place Midi-Editing
- Clip Stamping

Let us know what your thoughts & +1 if you find them mandatory / useful!

What I Like:

Comping
Time stretching workflow
Marker ranges
Piano roll improvements
Clip-based effects

Meh, don't need, or whatever:

Ears-only mode - I have eyes lids, and my eyes are even capable of looking elsewhere.
Step recording - No need for me personally. I prefer to play my instruments.
Linked clips - Don't need.
Revert bounces to MIDI- I just don't mind having some midi clips around, but whatever.
Noise removal device- Useful
LUFS Meterin-, I suppose, meh.
Default track devices- isn't this redundant?
Rewire device - Don't care for it currently.
External audio editor - prefer in DAW if possible, but I'll take it.
Export Metadata - Whatever
Surround mixing - Earbuds :clown:
Onset threshold - Useful
Pitch correction - Don't need.
Record macros - I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I'd use this, coming up blank so far.
Always-on MIDI recording - If I can turn it off I'm fine with this.
Convolution device - How CPU-efficient? I already have great ones, the aren't very CPU efficient though.
Track status indicators - no need at all, if I can turn them off, I'm fine with this.
Ripple Editing - could be useful, not dying for it.
Directly Edit Waveforms - Lets just go the whole hog, full in DAW editor that takes the best of SpectraLayers Pro, Sound Forge Pro, and Izotope RX :tu:
In-Place MIDI Editing - Isn't this redundant too? There's already several quick ways, two with keyboard shortcuts, and of course double clicking a clip.
Clip Stamping - Seemingly redundant as well. What's wrong with holding opinion, dragging the clip where you want, and duplicating (modifier d) if you need to? It's super quick already, or am I not getting something?

No, stay away :smack::
Video track

Good times. :party:
-JH

I love all of these, and your well presented list

JHernandez wrote: Ears-only mode - I have eyes lids, and my eyes are even capable of looking elsewhere.
That's not the point. How would you see where your mouse is going if you were looking away? I think that's why he suggested to hide the meters, faders and knobs. This way you can continue to mix while not being influenced by visuals.

Honestly, ears only mode is not a bad idea.

Zacchino wrote: - In-Place Midi-Editing
- Clip Stamping
No offense, but these two ideas seem redundant to me.

WXLF wrote:
JHernandez wrote: Ears-only mode - I have eyes lids, and my eyes are even capable of looking elsewhere.
That's not the point. How would you see where your mouse is going if you were looking away? I think that's why he suggested to hide the meters, faders and knobs. This way you can continue to mix while not being influenced by visuals.

Honestly, ears only mode is not a bad idea.

I didn't say it was a bad idea. I just don't need it due to said eye lids, which I use often. How would I see my mouse? Again, it's in the lids, one of their functions is to open and close. Another option, that may or may not be an option for any given person is to use a hardware fader and or knob while critically listening.

It's not like I'm fighting the devs not to implement it. These are just my opinions. I had some time to kill.
-JH

WXLF wrote:
Zacchino wrote: - In-Place Midi-Editing
- Clip Stamping
No offense, but these two ideas seem redundant to me.
WXLF,
It's 2 very different and workflow-enhancing features:

In-Place Midi Editing
inline-midi-editing.gif
Clip Volume
clip-volume.gif
Clip Stamping: Brush & Pen modes
clip-stamping--pen-vs-brush.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One last thing: Those two features would drastically speed up chopping clip's workflow:

- Clip's Content Scrolling
- Slice at Cursor point (hitting "S" key) at play indicator's position
Scroll-Slice.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How about adding a drum editor to that list.

^What is a “drum editor” exactly?

Zacchino, what soft is that?
-JH

[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]CUBASE drum editor

[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]Studio one drum editor

I don't get the drum editor. What makes it different from the collapse drum mode thing already implemented in bitwig?

Honestly, don't care about the in place midi editing. Always seems more troublesome personally. I prefer to open up a huge ass piano roll instead. Maybe it's just a personal thing or maybe cuz I work on a small ass screen. Bigger higher resolution screens might feel different.

Clip stamping is a decent idea imo. The FL cats arrange their beats in seconds with that feature. At the same time, I'm not really dying for it either. I can live with out it personally.

Personally.. There isn't really that much I want from bitwig now. It pretty much has everything I need and what it doesn't I can get from 3rd party plugins. I still do all my recording and stuff on another daw tho.. Kinda want bitwig to successfully move the graphical processing to the gpu. That's my biggest feature request personally. I end up using a rompler over and over just to save some cpu and it becomes tiredsome after awhile when you wanna use a synth or something else instead.

With the drum editors drums are displayed as hits in the editor. When sequencing drums in the piano roll you also see the length of the note which is unnecessary because drums are one-shots. There are videos on YouTube I would post here but I am not sure how to embed them.

I checked out two videos on Studio One's Drum Mode, it has a drum stick mouse pointer, hahaha. Functionally it's the same as working in the grid we have now. I see zero advantage. As far as MIDI note lengths, it doesn't really matter but you can obviously make them any length you want in BWS. Just set the first one and every other one you draw in after follows. Now patterns in Studio One has some cool features like note repeat and probability, among other stuff. You can also change loop lengths and resolution (1/4, 1/8, ect). That's pretty cool and useful imo. Personally I play all my drum parts, I'd only use a step sequencer to achieve something inhuman, like note repeats for example. Patterns > Drum mode IMO. If BWS goes there, I'd rather see a patterns like feature. Maybe they can dream up a way to make a Patterns device, with an expanded view, so we can modulate loops length, ect. 8) That would be awesome, maybe, I'm tired.

By the way, you embed YT videos by simply pasting the link, the forum does the rest.
-JH

Return to “Bitwig”