No "ghost" clips??? Am I missing something here?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The argument in this thread seems unnecessary. If you want the feature, lodge the feature request. If a lot of people want the feature and lodge the request, it'll get pushed up the list. If you don't care, don't bother.

The only thing I'd say is that if it happens, I'd prefer it be off by default. The FL way of managing patterns is one of the major reasons I own it and don't use it.

Yeah, it's crazy how passionate people get about stuff like this.

Coming from a tracker background, I can definitely see the appeal of "ghost clips" (which would basically be what patterns are in trackers), even though it wouldn't really fit my into my workflow.

shaboogen wrote:If you want the feature, lodge the feature request. If a lot of people want the feature and lodge the request, it'll get pushed up the list.
Well, but that's the problem with Bitwig right there - there's no official public space to log feature requests, like there are for Live or Studio One, where I can put my own requests up, see what other people want and up-vote if I support it. Bitwig's own Q&A section is more for people searching for help. Sure, I can send my feature requests to support's mail, but I've no idea what happens to them. I tried to campaign for it several times here and on FB group, but there's always someone who won't use it but doesn't want me to have it, just for the same of discusing it, like that guy on previous pages...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

^^^ never give up, the delete notes with right clicks also has been implemented ... after 3years constant requesting :hihi:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

People become convinced that their "1 hugely important missing feature" will completely change their creative life if they could just have it. Naturally, it won't. It's just another feature in a program that already has hundreds of features. Would it be nice? Sure. Would it make people happy? Sure. But what bothers me about this thread is the entitlement, the expectation, the sense of righteous disbelief on the part of the OP that this program isn't, shock, catering to his specific needs directly. Instead of recognizing that these are, indeed, his specific needs and nothing more, he wants to convince us all "it's unbelievable it's not here!" or "how after 4 years is this not a feature ??!!" like it's some kind of personal slight against him from the devs, or an affront to all BWS users. Bah. You want a thing, it's not there, relax. Stop acting like the devs are some group of jerks willfully withholding key functionality from their user base, just because you aren't getting a thing you want.

mholloway wrote:People become convinced that their "1 hugely important missing feature" will completely change their creative life if they could just have it. Naturally, it won't. It's just another feature in a program that already has hundreds of features. Would it be nice? Sure. Would it make people happy? Sure. But what bothers me about this thread is the entitlement, the expectation, the sense of righteous disbelief on the part of the OP that this program isn't, shock, catering to his specific needs directly. Instead of recognizing that these are, indeed, his specific needs and nothing more, he wants to convince us all "it's unbelievable it's not here!" or "how after 4 years is this not a feature ??!!" like it's some kind of personal slight against him from the devs, or an affront to all BWS users. Bah. You want a thing, it's not there, relax. Stop acting like the devs are some group of jerks willfully withholding key functionality from their user base, just because you aren't getting a thing you want.
1, you're exaggerating because no one said they can't write music without alias clips, just that it would be faster and easier to do so,

2, this particular feature lacking in a DAW targeting electronic, loop-based music production is baffling, especially since it is a standard in more traditional linear sequencers - the only logical explanation I have is that Live - which was clearly the inspiration for Bitwig - doesn't have it as well,

3, the only 'jerk' in this thread is the guy constantly negating any example he's provided with of how this feature is useful, because he needs to see it from a high-profile artist in a serious project,

So please, take your high horse and yourself on it someplace else :)
Music tech enthusiast

I'm not jerk and guy above you is right.
You have multi-edit. Go create next EDM banger!

OP has long since abandoned thread. All hail antic the guardian of ghost clips! :troll:
-JH

JHernandez wrote:OP has long since abandoned thread. All hail antic the guardian of ghost clips! :troll:
a.k.a Don Quijote de la Mancha ;)
Music tech enthusiast

Would be useful. But then again that's why I use FL Studio. As a production platform, this is one of the features Bitwig is missing for me. The other DAWs I use—FL, Studio One and Reaper—all have linked clips. FL and Reaper have automation clips that can also be linked, which is very useful in electronic music production.

Scoox wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:36 am Would be useful. But then again that's why I use FL Studio. As a production platform, this is one of the features Bitwig is missing for me. The other DAWs I use—FL, Studio One and Reaper—all have linked clips. FL and Reaper have automation clips that can also be linked, which is very useful in electronic music production.
I've sent the request to support last week and they've confirmed it's on their list for things considered to be implemented. I guess they can't comit to more than that.

If you - and others - care about this, send e-mails to support@bitwig.com
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 amI've sent the request to support last week and they've confirmed it's on their list for things considered to be implemented. I guess they can't comit to more than that.
That's good to know! Though it sounds like it might be a while before it happens. Did you mean automation clips or just linked clips?
antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 amIf you - and others - care about this, send e-mails to support@bitwig.com
Already did :wink:

Scoox wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:56 pmThat's good to know! Though it sounds like it might be a while before it happens. Did you mean automation clips or just linked clips?
Just linked clips. I think automation clips would be a much bigger undertaking, unless done like Live 10.1 did them (i.e. temporary automation clips, when selecting time)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm
Scoox wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:56 pmThat's good to know! Though it sounds like it might be a while before it happens. Did you mean automation clips or just linked clips?
Just linked clips. I think automation clips would be a much bigger undertaking, unless done like Live 10.1 did them (i.e. temporary automation clips, when selecting time)
What do you miss in terms of automation clips?
You know that you can place clips on a group track, do you? I use this on a regular basis. I only place "free loop" automation loops in them because it gives me better control than side-chain compression.
Nice feature is that you can use this clip automation in modes "absolute" (overiding automation lane),"additive" (adding/subtracting to automation lane) and "scaling" (scaling the value on the automation lane from 0 to 1.0). It's funny if you switch a clip into the automation view you can have a seperate and independend "lenght" bar on top of the clip, which is independend of that of the clip content view, i.e. you can have a free looping short automation loop of lenght 1 bar which loops inside a 4 bar clip...This gives tremendous flexibility.
Forgive me my weird numbering of the boxes... just sketched that very rapidly.
---
check out the depicted track: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/prev ... dj/s-Dubgg
It's bitwig, bitwig fx and only SE Poly KX asi VSTi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:59 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm
What do you miss in terms of automation clips?
You know that you can place clips on a group track, do you? I use this on a regular basis. I only place "free loop" automation loops in them because it gives me better control than side-chain compression.
Nice feature is that you can use this clip automation in modes "absolute" (overiding automation lane),"additive" (adding/subtracting to automation lane) and "scaling" (scaling the value on the automation lane from 0 to 1.0). It's funny if you switch a clip into the automation view you can have a seperate and independend "lenght" bar on top of the clip, which is independend of that of the clip content view, i.e. you can have a free looping short automation loop of lenght 1 bar which loops inside a 4 bar clip...This gives tremendous flexibility.
Forgive me my weird numbering of the boxes... just sketched that very rapidly.
---
check out the depicted track: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/prev ... dj/s-Dubgg
It's bitwig, bitwig fx and only SE Poly KX asi VSTi
What I'm missing is something like automation in FL Studio, where automation can live inside of clips that can be manipulated just like regular MIDI clips. I see in Bitwig you can have automation inside clips (?) which can be looped. I've also looked into the free-running loop thing, interesting but not what I want.

The big thing in FL is that an automation clip can be duplicated throughout the project, and then any changes to make to any one of the instances propagates to all the rest. You can also have an envelope modulate another envelopes range. There's no concept of "free-running" loop in FL but you can paint clips very quickly anyway so it's not a big deal.

Return to “Bitwig”