No "ghost" clips??? Am I missing something here?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Instead of ghost clips I'd like to see clip (and project) versioning, in the style of a VCS. That would be really awesome devs :)

it's simple multi clip editing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEr98-vMEmM
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

but then you have to select the clips first :clown: :hihi: :dog:

selecting a clip then ctrl(/cmd)+a selects all the clip in a row

xbitz wrote:selecting a clip then ctrl(/cmd)+a selects all the clip in a row
And if there are other clips between those that I want to edit?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

What if you have ghost clips through whole your track and you need to make edits only to 4 of them?
You will end with same situation, when you need to manually select clips and make them unique (or another instance)

Multi edit looks cool.

Seriously, neediness of ghost clips is over-exaggerated.

Tj Shredder wrote:
xx JPRacer xx wrote:If you have a clip that is used in a lot of places and you make some changes to one of them, searching everywhere to find all occurrences and replace them is a big workflow killer. Ghost/alias clip is a really nice feature to have.
It might be a workflow killer for strictly repetitive music, but might also force you to have more variations in your tracks and thus will result in better music... Not at all a bad thing...; - )
I worked with the original UPIC of Iannis Xenakis. In there it was almost impossible to create exact copies, you could only create copies which had some resemblance. This changed the workflow and the way of thinking. A technical limitation, which led to more interesting music...
I 100% agree with you on that, but having the option is not a bad thing either! :wink:

bolba wrote:What if you have ghost clips through whole your track and you need to make edits only to 4 of them?You will end with same situation, when you need to manually select clips and make them unique (or another instance)
It would take almost exactly the same effort to do this compared to currently, without ghost clips - you'd have to find them, select them, right-click "make unique" (<- one extra click!), edit them.

Now the other way around is a different story, if you'd want to update 30-50 clips instead of just one without using ghost clips.

No, it's not exaggerated. It's convenient.
Music tech enthusiast

Still got no any examples from power users when they need to update 30-50 clips through all the track ^_^
Usually you just copy timeline.

Again, it's okay feature but there are tons of stuff which can be done before that.

bolba wrote:Still got no any examples from power users when they need to update 30-50 clips through all the track ^_^

Again, it's okay feature but there are tons of stuff which can be done before that.
WTF do you need "power users" for? You're ridiculous with that & we probably wouldn't even be able to agree on what that means...

Copying timeline is obviously NOT the same.

"Tons of stuff" like what? Probably some things I don't care for (comping, MPE, etc.)? Yet you don't see me coming to those threads contesting the requests and demanding "power user examples", do you?

You're just pathetic.
Music tech enthusiast

seems (AFAIK) the only way is bouncing out the session MIDI clip and using the bounced version on the arrangement, in this case
they can be replaced with the replace function inside the project view
Last edited by xbitz on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

xbitz wrote:seems the only way is bouncing out the session MIDI clip and using the bounced version on the arrangement
they can be replaced if they contain pointer to the same wav file
...or actually implementing the goddamn ghost/alias/linked clips :)

We all know the workarounds. We don't want workarounds :)
Music tech enthusiast

ok then for the developers, we would like this
from Logic ... :)

antic604 wrote:
bolba wrote:Still got no any examples from power users when they need to update 30-50 clips through all the track ^_^

WTF do you need "power users" for? You're ridiculous with that & we probably wouldn't even be able to agree on what that means...

Copying timeline is obviously NOT the same.

"Tons of stuff" like what? Probably some things I don't care for (comping, MPE, etc.)? Yet you don't see me coming to those threads contesting the requests and demanding "power user examples", do you?

You're just pathetic.
Oh lol :D
So you have no examples of ghost clips usage, but need them. Cool.

Your Studio One case is easily done with multi editing.
Go learn some Bitwig first.

Tj Shredder wrote: It might be a workflow killer for strictly repetitive music, but might also force you to have more variations in your tracks and thus will result in better music... Not at all a bad thing...; - )
I worked with the original UPIC of Iannis Xenakis. In there it was almost impossible to create exact copies, you could only create copies which had some resemblance. This changed the workflow and the way of thinking. A technical limitation, which led to more interesting music...
I heard some music, very, very recently, that was not strictly repetitive, with some forced variations which didn't result in better music.
It was a bad thing.
Technical freedom, freedom per se, leads to more interesting music...

Return to “Bitwig”