ARA 2 for Bitwig- who wants it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope you are right, although it may be a bit like Cubase admitting Variaudio isn't that great!
I guess they could at they are adding Melodyne for polyphonic audio editing if it wasn't planned for V10...

Either way I think they should do it- give people a choice.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I hope you are right, although it may be a bit like Cubase admitting Variaudio isn't that great!
I guess they could at they are adding Melodyne for polyphonic audio editing if it wasn't planned for V10...

Someone that seemed knowledgeable said that Cubase and a couple of other DAW's because of the way they are developed will be very difficult to adopt ARA and for that reason they very likely will not.

Interesting
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127142

Kalamata Kid wrote:
SLiC wrote:I hope you are right, although it may be a bit like Cubase admitting Variaudio isn't that great!

Someone that seemed knowledgeable said that Cubase and a couple of other DAW's because of the way they are developed will be very difficult to adopt ARA and for that reason they very likely will not.

Interesting
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127142
It's definitely not a trivial feature to implement. I beta tested the Sonar implementation and there were quite a few problems involving Melodyne clips, especially when it came to inserting or deleting measures in the project. I had problems with Melodyne clips playing whole measures out of sync with the rest of the project, there were lots of crashes and freezes when moving large groups of clips containing Melodyne clips, and a few other bizarre ones. Like when you'd select a Melodyne clip along with a regular MIDI clip and moved them, it would create copies of the clips instead of just move them. I seem to remember another serious unexpected problem as well but I can't remember the details. It might have had something to do with Sonar not saving some synth settings properly.

since Bitwig just bought the zplane elastic stuff, i don`t have big hopes they will integrate melodyne too. somewhat redundant.

Thala wrote:since Bitwig just bought the zplane elastic stuff, i don`t have big hopes they will integrate melodyne too. somewhat redundant.
How so? The functionality of Melodyne goes way above and beyond anything that Elastique does. The two are completely different things for completely different purposes. Their functionality overlaps a little, but one cannot completely replace the other.

Yes!
Love it in Studio One

For what kind of real world tasks would you use Melodyne especially with the ARA 2 integration in Bitwig?

I want it, definitely, but first they should get MPE working correctly...

tedannemann wrote:For what kind of real world tasks would you use Melodyne especially with the ARA 2 integration in Bitwig?
Correcting pitch or timing of any live instrument (anything recorded as audio can be edited as midi even polyphonic audio)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

tedannemann wrote:For what kind of real world tasks would you use Melodyne especially with the ARA 2 integration in Bitwig?
Audio to Midi
Celemony's algorithms are able to extract pitch data from audio (even polyphonically).
It is even able to detect micro-pitch changes like vibrato (also even polyphonically).
So that data could be converted into MPE note data with per-note pitch expression.
Also I could imagine that it's theoretically possible to get per-note amplitude information from the algorithm.

u-u-u wrote:
Also I could imagine that it's theoretically possible to get per-note amplitude information from the algorithm.
Melodyne translates amplitude to MIDI velocity, if that's what you meant.

I want it.
And I would be willing to pay the update price to have it.

sharke wrote:
u-u-u wrote:
Melodyne translates amplitude to MIDI velocity, if that's what you meant.
No, I meant that maybe it could be expanded to extract a more detailed volume envelope -> to be the "pressure", "timbre" or the Bitwig-specific "gain" parameter of the note expressions.
(not only one static velocity parameter)
To speak in Melodynes language, the indiviual "blobs" already are displayed with the volume shapes -> so the information seems to be already there.
Wait, I attach a picture make it more obvious as it's hard to explain it by words...
ARA2 to pressure.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes, ARA 2 in Bitwig is on top of my personal wish list for features in Bitwig, followed by comping. Those two things would open up the market quite a more for people who use Bitwig for more organic stuff, I guess.

would definitely improve Bitwig and make it more versatile! Since Ableton ignores a lot of feature requests this would make it even more interesting for people to move to Bitwig.

Return to “Bitwig”