Sluggish/sloooow GUI Bitwig 2.23 macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It will be about the same (low) speed, since the drawing fully is done on CPU, no GPU involved. The CPU is not dependent on the quality of a driver, unlike a GPU.

feedbackmachine wrote:It will be about the same (low) speed, since the drawing fully is done on CPU, no GPU involved. The CPU is not dependent on the quality of a driver, unlike a GPU.
That's not fully accurate due to Cairo using for example XRender in Linux, which is accelerated.
Last edited by ejgallego on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

If somebody is curious about the difference between OS you can read some not so old benchs https://github.com/x42/cairo-testing :

Code: Select all

GTK Linux/XCB        0.197 msec
GTK OSX 10.10.5      7.4   msec  (37.5 times slower than Linux/XCB)
Cocoa OSX 10.10.5    7.5   msec  (38.0 times slower than Linux/XCB)
So yup, I wouldn't be surprised to hear OSX are really suffering with Cairo.

Beta 4 still has no changes regarding GUI speed inside, so I assume this will accompany us still a long period of time.

feedbackmachine wrote:Beta 4 still has no changes regarding GUI speed inside, so I assume this will accompany us still a long period of time.
I wouldn't expect that to change for 2.3...

Cairo will work well for what they want to do, I assume to use it with OpenGL. Unfortunately, its
not a simple matter, they basically have to implement their own GUI toolkit for it. In other words.
its a lot of work. Being patient and considerate of the small team and not so small task before them,
should pay off well in the end.

-Cheers

Do you think an options to disable animations globally a good idea??
and it shouldnt be applicable for expanded device view and analyzer device
or maybe add option to exclude some device

Bad idea.

I mean, there's always a way to make this butter smooth with today's technologies.

re23071998 wrote:Do you think an options to disable animations globally a good idea??
and it shouldnt be applicable for expanded device view and analyzer device
or maybe add option to exclude some device
No. You can always collapse the devices to not see the graphs and keep the remotes page open to control it.

What - I think - could help is a global cap for refresh rate of the graphs, so we could limit it to 60, 30, 20, 15fps
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

re23071998 wrote:Do you think an options to disable animations globally a good idea??
Yes! And not only for performance but to tidy things up, too.
I get seasick with all that animation and find them rather distracting. Would be nice to disable them per device, and a global option to disable animations for modulators. :pray:
Frankly one eq in the chain is enough for me in terms of visual reference. Hell, even phaser and chorus have analyzers.

Do you really (I mean really) need all this analyzers?

Useless eyecandy IMO.

Cheers!

Well that's part of what makes Bitwig so cool. All those moving things and bouncing balls :).

I've found the GC pauses to be much less frequent on the new 2.3 Beta. I was getting 1-2 second GC pauses previously on 2.2 when working with really large projects, now they're hardly noticeable.

I'd be happy to have that... sometimes I find all the moving stuff too 'noisy' and I would like visual quiet...

A black and white monitor might help you.

Return to “Bitwig”