Will there ever be rex file support???

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would very much like to see REX file support in Bitwig Studio, on Windows and/or any other platform for which it is possible.

If the issue is that there is not a Linux version of the REX Shared Library from Reason Studios, then that is not the fault of Bitwig. Nor, IMO, is it s good reason not to support REX files on the platforms for which the REX Shared Library *is* available.

Of course, Reason Studios could choose to make a Linux version of the REX Shared Library. Alternatively, Bitwig (as a Linux-aware shop) could volunteer to do it, with Reason Studios offering the source code as a starting point. However, even if neither of these can happen (for any reason), that is not a good argument for denying the REX file capability to users of Windows, etc.

I'll add that I believe the previously stated notion that it is too hard to manage non-perfectly-identical feature sets across multiple platforms is poorly informed. Key phrases are "modular design" and "conditional compilation" - both ideas well known to many/most coding professionals. (I can say that, because I was one!)

Regarding REX, does anything like pHATmatik still exist? I remember buying the original back around 2001, or should I say bought in during beta and can't find my purchase info. I don't believe it was sold by iZotope back then.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/phatma ... zotope-inc

arrakeen wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm Regarding REX, does anything like pHATmatik still exist? I remember buying the original back around 2001, or should I say bought in during beta and can't find my purchase info. I don't believe it was sold by iZotope back then.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/phatma ... zotope-inc
Reason 11 can now be used as a plugin inside the DAW, therefore Dr Octorex is what you are looking for. You do not need the full $399 reason as Octorex is included in "reason intro" for $99 (cheaper in cart at online resellers). The amount of synths and usability you get is amazing for that price, and will slot right into any DAW that supports VST3 or AU. That said, add me to the list of those who would love native rex support in Bitwig. Personally I need this to be able to use the thousands of rex loops I already have directly in the Bitwig timeline. Bitwig has become a very powerful and abundantly competent DAW over the last few years, and using the demo for the last week, the only things I can really see lacking are rex support & ARA. Also, I'd prefer to have clip gain handles right on the clip like the crossfades are, rather than having to do it via the lower editor or side inspector. The latency compensation and performance for a DAW without hybrid buffers is simply excellent. I suppose I'd like traditional freeze as well, or a Studio one style track transform. Reason being, bounce in place literally replaces the midi on VI tracks, so bouncing and retaining the midi in a neat organised fashion is not a one step process like other DAWs. I'm also a little turned off by the 180 Euros per year maintenance fee. All in all though, if this time next year Bitwig has all the features I require, I could easily see myself fading away from Pro Tools (which sadly also has a similar yearly fee) and moving to something without a dongle that is more geared towards composition and musicians.
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

Thanks Amelia - bought! I was looking at Reason a few weeks back and as I own far too many plugins, I thought I'd give it a miss. Completely forgot it would come with a REX player, damn I even used ReCycle back in 1998 to send to my Akai sampler!

Agree with your evaluation of Bitwig and would would be nice, especially clip gain handles, REX and ARA.

As for the "maintenance fee" don't forget it's optional, if they code new stuff you like, upgrade when you want, or stick to the version that meets your needs. Also, you can buy an upgrade when a sale is on and apply only when you think a version has something for you.

Amelia70 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 pm Reason 11 can now be used as a plugin inside the DAW, therefore Dr Octorex is what you are looking for.
That's a good tip Amelia70, thanks for posting it!

I wouldn't say that means Bitwig-native REX file support is not still much to be desired, but plugging in Reason 11, if indeed it all works as expected, is a great
"in the meantime ..." solution.

sj1 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 pm If the issue is that there is not a Linux version of the REX Shared Library from Reason Studios, then that is not the fault of Bitwig. Nor, IMO, is it s good reason not to support REX files on the platforms for which the REX Shared Library *is* available.
What would be interesting:

I.e. Reaper has a native Linux version too...
Reaper supports rex files... how does this work on Linux??

Second: This is exactly what I am criticize...
I am absolutely no fan of being restricted by any niche development...

You cannot have this... because Linux doesn´t support this
You cannot have that... because Linux doesn´t support that

I am on a platform where everything of this and that is supported and cannot use it because 5 nerds believe that Linux would be a good idea...

Why not the other way round... Support full versions for platforms which offer all of this and that and give the Linux users what is possible for them...
If they want to use Linux they should take the consequences and do not punish all others!! :tu:

Whenever I read the thread title I wonder how there could be 4 pages, as the obvious answer is “No” or more precise “Never”.
They also don’t support AU, and I don’t mind, though I run Bitwig on a Mac...
Now with Reason 11 as VST, the last argument for support vanished...
If you really need a REX plugin, you will find a way to incorporate it into your music. In the old days we could even incorporate a real Cello into a track... You needed someone to play it though... But it did help social relations as well...

I really like reason 11 rack plugin, but the lag of a scalable gui in 2019 is a no go for me. I cannot use it on a 4k monitor. Hopefully the will bring this feature in the near future.
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

+1000 for Rex support. If I'm going to use a loop rex is easily my preferred format...

Would also like to a see a sensitivity slider for onsets when dealing with non-rex...

lol I just learned that there's no native REX support, this is a sad day

A lot of silly arguments here. REX support in most DAWs is import support, the REX file does not stay a REX file, it's converted to audio or in Lives case a simpler Rack. Not having REX support has nothing to do with native OS support for REX, and everything to do with my least favorite part of Bitwig's trajectory, the lack of import support for common file types, the Sampler can't import EXS files either, which gives Bitwigs sampler no access to nice cheap libraries out there, and a sort of standard that can transfer from Ableton's Sampler, to Kontakt to Logics Sampler etc. etc.

I kind of wish Bitwig would pull their head out of their behind with this. Not supporting standards is a dumb idea. Yes REX is dead to a degree, but there's 20 years worth of libraries that could be exploited, and no access to them unless you Own Reason or use another DAW.

There are lots of 3rd party batch sample format converters, it doesn't really need to be part of Bitwig
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

FWIW, and apologies if it's already been mentioned, and ok, native support would be nice - but the free UVI workstation VSTi supports REX files. You can use this to preview your files and then drag and drop to the arranger/session.

mrcleats wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am FWIW, and apologies if it's already been mentioned, and ok, native support would be nice - but the free UVI workstation VSTi supports REX files. You can use this to preview your files and then drag and drop to the arranger/session.
If it actually does drag and drop to the arranger, it's a great solution. I would still love to see the Sampler be able to import Rex and EXS files at the very least. I get not having every library out there, but the super common ones makes sense, since no sample or loop library company I know of offers Bitwig Sampler libraries, but almost all of them offer Kontakt, Rex, and EXS files. Oh, and Ableton files as well.

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:42 am There are lots of 3rd party batch sample format converters, it doesn't really need to be part of Bitwig
Do you have a recommendation? (that is Mac capable)

Return to “Bitwig”