Bitwig CV in/out Tips and Tricks

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought it may be fun to start a thread for people already suing the CV in/out with BW to discuss how we are using it (rather than how to get it to work, which I think has its own thread!)

I set up a simple template for CV control tonight that may be useful if you haven't worked with it CV and Eurorack before. I am using an ES-8. but this simple set up needs just 2 CV outputs (so could be done with a Disting etc)

I use the CV Instrument to get pitch, but don't use the trigger (unless you really want to use a hardware ASDR) this is output 1 (1V/Octave) to the hardware oscillator (s)

I use the simple CV out device on the same track as the CV Instrument and load an ADSR, this is Output 2 and will go to the VCA of whatever oscillator you are playing. I use the expression modulator for velocity to then control the level of the ADSR (open the ADSR modulator and put velocity to depth). I take the after touch modulator (also in expression) to control the depth of an LFO (with delay start) to the pitch (just a touch!) for vibrato...Loads of other things you can do with just 2 outputs - velocity to ADSR release (notes sustain if you hit a key harder)....but if you have another output you can start to work then with modulation of the Filter, and this is where the fun starts :D (If not you can still split signal 2 (ADSR etc) and push it in a filter and then maybe invert/offset etc with hardware)

There are so many modulation options to convert to CV that I think you could do just about anything...I am now having a long hard look at my LFO and ADSR modules in my rack and seeing potential space!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Where is the thread on how to make it work? I tried the other day and I wasn’t quite able to control my DFAM

Maybe an unrelated question, but the ES-8 description says that it has CV 16 outs but only 8 ports, does that mean that you can utilize the TRS layout and then a Y-splitter to send different signals over different (L/R in this case) channels?

// Edit:
Ah, apparently those are TS outputs and the extra 8 channels are for ADAT expansion: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ex ... epers-es-8
So I suppose it can be used in combination with ES-3 and ES-6 then.
((( ~ )))

Following
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

I've been doing some work on CV tools and created a generic CV device chain with some basic utilities that I might want to use at any given time. The idea is to be able to use them without looking at a screen. I'm using a Novation Launch Control and a Midi Fighter Twister for my controls and an ES-6/ES-3 combo for interfacing with my modular.

My CV template file has 8 CV Out tracks and 6 CV In tracks. The idea is that I can have 8 different modulators sent out of Bitwig. Each of the CV Out tracks has an instance of my CV device chain (CV Template Device). Each of the CV In tracks has an instance of my CV gate in device chain (CV Gate Receiver). This will be needed for triggering LFOs, envelopes, etc. You can also just use MIDI on each of the CV Out tracks, if your MIDI device is connected, but this requires fiddling with settings and I don't want to use the mouse/keyboard if I can help it. The idea is CV In 1 can potentially be used by CV Out 1, CV In 2 by CV Out 2, and so forth.

CV Gate Receiver uses the HW CV In modulator to modulate the gain of a Test Tone device, which is used by Replacer to create a MIDI note on (doesn't matter which note you generate, since you're only using it as a gate). I use a Note Receiver device in the CV Gate Receiver chain to access this.

CV Template Device includes: an LFO, envelope, random generator, voltage utility functions, and a Pitch-12 device for all 12 pitches. Currently, I'm able to enable/modify the LFO, envelope, and voltage utility functions using only the Midi Fighter Twister. The Launch Control is used to select different CV Out tracks (with the MFT properly updating to show the values of the currently selected track). Not having to look at a screen and being able to use a controller makes this super usable. The other modulators require mouse and keyboard, but I'm still working on mapping functions to my controllers. There's also a HW CV In modulator that can be used if you're only interested in using the voltage utility functions (so you can grab a CV In voltage, enable the -5v voltage modifier, and have the result sent out). The voltage modifiers can be stacked with each other or the other modulators (LFO, ADSR, etc.)

The nice thing about the Midi Fighter Twister is that each encoder can be used as a switch, by pressing it down. Currently I'm only using it on a couple controls to double up the functionality on a single enconder, but I imagine I'll keep changing it. You also have RGB leds that you can program. I've configured my MFT as follows.

The bottom row:
1. LFO. The switch enables/disables the LFO, and the encoder is an attenuverter. Pressing the switch turns on the blue LED on this encoder as well as the encoders that control the LFO in a different row.

2. ADSR. The switch enables/disables the ADSR and the encoder is an attenuverter. Pressing the switch turns on the yellow LED on this encoder as well as the encoders that control the ADSR in a different row.

3. Master attenuverter. Every modulation goes through this. I usually keep it turned fully right, but it's nice to back off once in a while. Can also be used to invert any voltage.

4. Master offset. Every modulation goes through this. I usually keep it centered, but can be used to offset any voltage.

The next row up:
1. LFO time. Uses a macro that will adjust both the rate of the LFO in hertz and beats (since Bitwig uses a separate control for each).
2. LFO mode. Switch between Hertz, Beats, dotted, triplets.
3. LFO Phase.
4. LFO Waveform.

The next row up:
1. A
2. D
3. S
4. R

The top row:
1. +5v
2. -5v
3. *2
4. /2

Here, the LFO is enabled by pressing the encoder, and the LFO attenuverter and LFO controls are lit blue. You can see the master attenuverter and offset in the bottom right corner (the 2 green encoders)

Here the ADSR is enabled, and the ADSR attenuverter and ADSR encoders are lit yellow (looks white in this photo)

Here, the +5v and *2 switches are enabled, lighting them red.

Here are my Bitwig preset devices.

Return to “Bitwig”