How do I turn a device panel knob into a button?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great work on repro device pages,thanks

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:20 pm Yay! Thanks - now I know this works in principle it should be possible for people to share device panels.
I sure could use buttons in my device pages. How exactly can I do that with non Bitwig plugins? I need a button that is like a switch...

killmaster wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:20 pm Yay! Thanks - now I know this works in principle it should be possible for people to share device panels.
I sure could use buttons in my device pages. How exactly can I do that with non Bitwig plugins? I need a button that is like a switch...
It's pretty straightforward. Create a Button modulator device, click the Modulator assign button and in the plugin just drag that all the way up. When you click the button it will go from 0 to whatever value you've set. Then in the Remote Controls view you map those button modulators to that view. So it's a two step process.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:54 am
It's pretty straightforward. Create a Button modulator device, click the Modulator assign button and in the plugin just drag that all the way up. When you click the button it will go from 0 to whatever value you've set. Then in the Remote Controls view you map those button modulators to that view. So it's a two step process.
Woah, thank you so much for this! Going to try this tomorrow. So glad this can be done.

Thanks @apoclypse, this worked!

killmaster wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:14 pm Thanks @apoclypse, this worked!
I spoke too soon! It only works intermittently. The vast majority of the time, it simply won't map to the macro. I know it sounds weird to say just sometimes, but its true in this case. I reported it to Bitwig just is case its a bug and no user error...

The problem with this is if you have a list with say 6 entries and you add 6 buttons each modulating the list respectively 1 through 6, then if you have 2 buttons pressed - say 1 and 3 - the values will be added (compounded) and you'll select list item #4. That's why I had to do a workaround in Grid to take maximum, rather than a sum :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

killmaster wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:29 pm
I spoke too soon! It only works intermittently. The vast majority of the time, it simply won't map to the macro. I know it sounds weird to say just sometimes, but its true in this case. I reported it to Bitwig just is case its a bug and no user error...
You can only assign button macros in Remote Controls view in the Perform (Preset) page not the Device pages so make sure that's not what is going on.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:13 pm
The problem with this is if you have a list with say 6 entries and you add 6 buttons each modulating the list respectively 1 through 6, then if you have 2 buttons pressed - say 1 and 3 - the values will be added (compounded) and you'll select list item #4. That's why I had to do a workaround in Grid to take maximum, rather than a sum :(
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do. If I have multiple buttons assigned all to different parameters how are they compounded? I have the Air Kill EQ effect in my Devices section. I create a Button or for more efficiency Buttons macro to the device and map all the EQ Kills to buttons. Then in Perform (Preset page) view I map the buttons in series. When I press buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 it works as it should. Now if you are mapping buttons to the same parameter but with different values then it makes sense that it should compound the values as you combine button presses. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

apoclypse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:28 pm
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do. If I have multiple buttons assigned all to different parameters how are they compounded? I have the Air Kill EQ effect in my Devices section. I create a Button or for more efficiency Buttons macro to the device and map all the EQ Kills to buttons. Then in Perform (Preset page) view I map the buttons in series. When I press buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 it works as it should. Now if you are mapping buttons to the same parameter but with different values then it makes sense that it should compound the values as you combine button presses. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.
@killmaster posted what he wanted in other thread and only came here to say he'd like a "button to behave like a switch" without explaining what it's for :)

Here's that other thread: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=538596

Yeah, he could've named it better for sure :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

apoclypse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:18 pm
killmaster wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:29 pm
You can only assign button macros in Remote Controls view in the Perform (Preset) page not the Device pages so make sure that's not what is going on.
yes, that's where I was trying to assign them, thanks...

antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:41 pm
apoclypse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:28 pm
@killmaster posted what he wanted in other thread and only came here to say he'd like a "button to behave like a switch" without explaining what it's for :)

Here's that other thread: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=538596

Yeah, he could've named it better for sure :D
In actuality, I have 2 uses, thus the 2 thread posts. I just need and want buttons for switches and buttons to jump to a specific value. But yeah, I realize now that I know a little more, I should've posted images and explained things more concretely. For the time being, I'm just going to perform this with a mouse instead of buttons and switches which I figure out how to do that.

Return to “Bitwig”