How do I turn a device panel knob into a button?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The manual is infuriating for so often stating that something that can be done but without showing how - this is one example

'Depending on the type of parameter under control, either a knob, button, or chooser (a drop-down menu, indicated with a downward- facing arrow on its far right) will be used.'

OK so how do you do that? It can't just be 'depending on type of param' because I just mapped a button in repro 1 and it came out as a knob - I want it to be a button in the device panel too but how?

Also how do I make knobs bipolar?

BWS only knows the type of the BWS devices, so through some macro control (should create a Button modulator and assign it to a slot of a "Preset Page")
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I've never seen a button in a third party plugin in the parameter list,from what I gather the remote control pages just mirror the parameter list,my guess is their talking about native devices regarding buttons or drop down menus

Where do these get saved to so I can share them? It would be useful to create a compendium of mapped devices.

In the usual preset location for me,in a folder named after the plugin

ere2learn wrote:In the usual preset location for me,in a folder named after the plugin
I'm mapping at device level not preset level, can't see anywhere these are being stored

aMUSEd wrote:I'm mapping at device level not preset level, can't see anywhere these are being stored
Device level presets are located at: "\Bitwig Studio\Library\.settings\devices\vst-xxxxxxxx\Default.bwremotecontrols" on PC.

"vst-xxxxxxx" the x represent a number (vst-id?) and will naturally change depending on the vst plugin.

Thanks - unfortunately on Mac it's one of those folders that sits inside the application. This is annoying, each plugin is referred to by a numerical string but it appears to be an arbitrary one - the VST ID for Repro 1 is 75525F31 but only the VST3 device map has that string in the folder name (although inside a much longer string) but the VST2 folders don't so I have no idea which folder corresponds to which plugin - I suppose I could try deleting some or look at the dates they were created to get some clues. Problem is this is going to make the idea of people being able to share these much more challenging, if it is an arbitrary number then there's probably no way for Bitwig on one system to know which plugin is being referenced on another. That would be dumb. Might have to make a FR for a device map export function.

Then again it can't be that folder - just made another device map to see if it got added to that folder to try and work out the logic of the naming but it didn't get added - it was 116 items before and still is. But I can't find anything else that has those types of files apart from a small folder inside Bitwig documents called automappings but that only has 5 items and also didn't get one added. Looked in all the usual places one would expect to find such settings.

aMUSEd wrote:Then again it can't be that folder - just made another device map to see if it got added to that folder to try and work out the logic of the naming but it didn't get added - it was 116 items before and still is. But I can't find anything else that has those types of files apart from a small folder inside Bitwig documents called automappings but that only has 5 items and also didn't get one added. Looked in all the usual places one would expect to find such settings.
Maybe every device automatically has a file? So when you save you are only updating?

I did wonder but I have more than 116 plugins

OK did a complete hard drive search - turns out they are in the Bitwig documents folder (which is where I thought they should be) but the folder is invisible for some reason. Path is \Users\username\Documents\Bitwig Studio\Library\.settings\devices - does the dot in front make it invisible?

So now let's test this out - can anyone with Repro 1 tell me if this creates device pages for this VST (the VST2) in Bitwig 2 if you place it in the above folder?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/564 ... 525f31.zip

Yup, on windows

Yay! Thanks - now I know this works in principle it should be possible for people to share device panels.

Return to “Bitwig”