Bitwig and Multi Output Instruments Grouping

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am I missing something here? If load up a multi output instrument and "add missing chains" I see all my outputs, and I have all my sound, no issues there.

But as far as mixing goes, I can't do anything with those chains? I can't group them. I can't send their outputs to other tracks to try to group them because they are hard wired to be output on the instrument track. I can't even use an audio track with the chain as the input (this only works when recording)?

The only way I can find around this is if I make an audio track, put an fx layer in it, put an audio receiver in the layer, and add the chain to the receiver pre fader. Then go back and put the volume of the original track to 0 and use the audio track I just created to mix the signal in. So if I want to use Falcon as a drum machine, I have to do all that just to group all the kicks together?

How is everyone else working around this?

In the mixer view, the multi-output track should resemble a group track. Click on the little folder icon to open up the "mixer group" (for lack of a proper term, perhaps on my part). You can route from there.

Also, you can choose one of the outputs as a different audio track's audio input and record there, if you wish.

You mean like the screenshot below? That allows me to mix, but I can't route any of the output chains to different tracks, they are all hardwired to the falcon master track.

And yes, I can route one of the chains to a separate audio track, but I can't mix that way. I would have to record the chain to the audio track to actually hear anything on the audio track, just setting it as the input doesn't allow me to mix without recording.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ah, I see.

Have you tried the Audio Receiver device? I often create an audio track, selecting one of the plugin's output as the track's input, and place an Audio Receiver device on it for mixing without recording. When it comes time to record it on that audio track, you'll need to mute/disable the Audio Receiver device so that the track input can record.

Oh, selecting the same plugin output as the one selected for the track's input in the Audio Receiver is necessary. :P

powermat wrote:Ah, I see.

Have you tried the Audio Receiver device? I often create an audio track, selecting one of the plugin's output as the track's input, and place an Audio Receiver device on it for mixing without recording. When it comes time to record it on that audio track, you'll need to mute/disable the Audio Receiver device so that the track input can record.
Yup that's the workaround I'm using right now. Put an fx layer on an audio track filled with audio receivers set the "pre" of the chains. Then I mix using the fx layer and the audio track and just mute the chain from falcon.

I was trying to figure out if there was an easier way, but it doesn't seem so

dplduffy wrote:
powermat wrote:Ah, I see.

Yup that's the workaround I'm using right now. Put an fx layer on an audio track filled with audio receivers set the "pre" of the chains. Then I mix using the fx layer and the audio track and just mute the chain from falcon.

I was trying to figure out if there was an easier way, but it doesn't seem so
It seems that this is the only way for now but I'm sure that this will change to a better/more streamlined way in the future.

To speed this process up, you can group those tracks (the one with falcon and the one with the FX Layer), place a blank clip on one of the tracks, then drag the Group Master's Multiclip (created when you create a blank clip on either the falcon track or the fx layer track) to the browser and save the whole thing as a preset (check to include devices). That way you can just drag the clip to any project that you wish to use this method from the clip section of the browser.

Although, you will still have to select the output in each note receiver after you drag in the preset. But that's a fraction of the process in its entirety.

Hi!

Not sure if this will achieve what you want, but one idea that came to my head for grouping channels from multiout instruments....

Use PRE fader sends.

Create a send "Kick Merge Group" etc. On your source track, right Click on the relevant send knob and make sure it's set to "pre" fader. Then use the Send knob as the new level fader. This will push the signal into the new 'Kick Merge" track. [note that the original track fader would need to be set to silent to stop any duplicate signal].

You can then repeat on as many tracks as you like , the result will be one single mixer channel that contains all the desired signals.

The only downside would be that you can't use further sends on that send track. But you can still use inserts.

In theory, because of the amazing way that BW lets you create sends *specific to groups*, you should be able to make a nice Group clip complete with its own set of these new send busses (Kick Merge , Snare Merge etc) and save that as a preset :-)

i've not tried it myself to test but in theory should work. Let me know how you get on :-)

Best!
DALE

askewd wrote:Hi!

Not sure if this will achieve what you want, but one idea that came to my head for grouping channels from multiout instruments....

Use PRE fader sends.

Create a send "Kick Merge Group" etc. On your source track, right Click on the relevant send knob and make sure it's set to "pre" fader. Then use the Send knob as the new level fader. This will push the signal into the new 'Kick Merge" track. [note that the original track fader would need to be set to silent to stop any duplicate signal].

You can then repeat on as many tracks as you like , the result will be one single mixer channel that contains all the desired signals.

The only downside would be that you can't use further sends on that send track. But you can still use inserts.

In theory, because of the amazing way that BW lets you create sends *specific to groups*, you should be able to make a nice Group clip complete with its own set of these new send busses (Kick Merge , Snare Merge etc) and save that as a preset :-)

i've not tried it myself to test but in theory should work. Let me know how you get on :-)

Best!
DALE
Nice workaround. I think this will work best. If I make effect tracks for my kicks, snares, hats, etc. I should be able to put an audio receiver on an audio track to bring them back into one track. I'll have to see when I get home!

Thanks!

dplduffy wrote:Am I missing something here? If load up a multi output instrument and "add missing chains" I see all my outputs, and I have all my sound, no issues there.

But as far as mixing goes, I can't do anything with those chains? I can't group them. I can't send their outputs to other tracks to try to group them because they are hard wired to be output on the instrument track. I can't even use an audio track with the chain as the input (this only works when recording)?

The only way I can find around this is if I make an audio track, put an fx layer in it, put an audio receiver in the layer, and add the chain to the receiver pre fader. Then go back and put the volume of the original track to 0 and use the audio track I just created to mix the signal in. So if I want to use Falcon as a drum machine, I have to do all that just to group all the kicks together?

How is everyone else working around this?
I posted about this issue over a year ago. Bitwig's implementation of VST multiout is absolute crap. As you said, you cannot route anything anywhere, it's a nightmare.

The solution offered to me was to use audio receivers, but I don't want to set this up every time, and would prefer to just be able to route tracks like I can in any other DAW since the 90s.

Bitwig, please fix this! It's a basic feature, we just want to be able to use the outputs as we would any other track.

Has this been sorted? I want to run reaktor on one track and send multiple outputs to my modular from one patch in blocks.

HW FX on the reaktor output channels?
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

I wanted to bump this too. Is the only way to record each channel from a multi out VSTi still to use an Audio Receiver plugin? I like to sequence with hardware controlling my software and synths, and I use drum racks or drum machine VSTis. I then print everything to audio in one take before mixing.

stash98 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 pm record each channel from a multi out VSTi
Just use an additional track with its input set to the VSTi's particular output? Or am I misunderstanding what you need?
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Return to “Bitwig”