Behringer X-Touch on BitWig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any more news? :D

@Gregg,

could you make a soundfile of the noise the moving faders make ? Or give a description of it ?

Im asking because the bcf2000 should be pretty noisy. Before i decide to take a unit, i would love to know as much as i can about it.

Thanks

I was finally able to take a look at the Behringer X32 Producer we just got at the office. I was only able to get about 20 minutes with it, so my testing was very limited. Here's what I learned:

- The desk was recognized by my Ubuntu 14.04 laptop immediately. JACK configured easily and with no issues.
- The desk defaulted to 16 in/out. I found that you could select a few different options as far as ins/outs are concerned. 32 in/out was on the list. There were a bunch more, But I can't remember what they were.
- For some reason, JACK showed channels 1-16, but the channels it connected to on the desk were 17-32.
- I was able to open an tinker with a project in Bitwig at 5.8 ms latency, with no buffer under runs.
- I was not able to get MIDI working to use it as a control surface. It has a few options for control, Mackie MCU was one of them.
- It looks like the XAir app for Linux does not handle connections over USB. There were only wireless options available.

Like I said, I only got about 20 minutes with it, so I didn't get to try recording anything yet. Also, our engineers have already set up a couple of shows- so I thought it best to tread lightly to not wipe out anyone else's work by accident. So, it's not perfect right out of the box- but it looks promising. Hopefully I can get one of the engineers to poke around it with me so I can give you some more useful information.
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

Care to share the script? I could certainly assist with features. I just ordered an x-touch..

Behringer X-Touch works out of the box with the Mackie MCU controller config. There will be a few features not implemented in that (colors for the scribble strips, maybe a few other things).. I quickly read the scripting API and discovered it's very easy to add functionality. I forked the original Mackie MCU script written by Bitwig, and when I receive my unit, I'll implement the remaining features and controller observers and put it on Github. I'll likely submit officially, since it's so easy to use the API.

I'll get it done shortly after receiving my unit in the new year (already ordered and shipped). I can only thank good design for allowing the possibility of updating your own controllers, within minutes, rather than being bound to manufacturers schedules.. It's really been a pleasant experience to discover that a lot of good decisions allowed me to quickly update and share a new script with the community as a whole quickly. When this software gains share these decisions will really allow massively fast hardware/software updates and integrations. I

Beerhunter wrote:@Gregg,

could you make a soundfile of the noise the moving faders make ? Or give a description of it ?

Im asking because the bcf2000 should be pretty noisy. Before i decide to take a unit, i would love to know as much as i can about it.

Thanks
They have numerous videos on their site, and I have never heard a fader sound. Internet reports with a quick google search confirm they are nearly silent, night and day compared to the bcf2000, which is super loud.

Hey, Greggles, how'd this work out? If you're interested in collaborating further on this, I can contribute. Would love to see the X Touch working well in Bitwig.

Greggles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:27 am A quick update. I've been testing the various connection methods usb/midi/ethernet and also the various protocols today and have discovered the following:

The midi ports are too slow for any really complex tasks involving a lot of sysex. Even a simple lamp test (all buttons, lights, scribble strips lit) can be seen swiping across the display as they are lit. Using usb you can press the lamp test button as fast as you can and it can keep up.

The ethernet port (RTP) connection to windows is not reliable using MC protocol let alone xctl/MC protocol. I think there might be a driver problem here on the x-touch end but I certainly can't rely on it. I read elsewhere that it sends lots of pings when in xctl mode and I'm wondering if this is why.

To get the scribble strips in colour (and even then only 16 it would seem) the unit will need to use either the ethernet or midi ports since the xctl protocol does not offer usb as a choice. I so no reason why they can't have a usb option but unless Behringer decide to release a firmware update we are stuck with no usb.

So the upshot of that is I'm just going to work generic scribble strips for now that are white in colour and set the unit to MC protocol over the USB port.

On a positive note I've been doing a lot of experimenting with group tracks and I am hopeful of adding special support for them. Other than that faders, rotaries, buttons etc mostly work. My next big task is to get menu integration working and then I will move onto device control which I think will be quite a sizeable task.

Greg.
What ever happened to this?
[*] sound is unfrozen geometry [*]
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon/videos

Thats about the best use of an X-Touch One I have seen in any DAW!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Bitwig”