Behringer X-Touch on BitWig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone who has any experience with using X-Touch with BitWig?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouch
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... CH/p/P0B1X

I am really wanting a controller with good transport control and motorized faders.

Same question! Anyone made a script for this? Or have plans?

It should work more or less right out of the box. This video:https://youtu.be/y4MQjdNx__o?t=55s

says that it supports Mackie (MCU) mode. I have a Presonus Faderport and that works really well- about 90% of it's functions are available in once I put it in Mackie MCU mode.

Now, if Bitwig supports one of these:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X32Compact

This will be me: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

tomsa wrote:It should work more or less right out of the box. This video:https://youtu.be/y4MQjdNx__o?t=55s

says that it supports Mackie (MCU) mode. I have a Presonus Faderport and that works really well- about 90% of it's functions are available in once I put it in Mackie MCU mode.

Now, if Bitwig supports one of these:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X32Compact

This will be me: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
its quite expensive if its */not working. But send this question in controller forum (y)
Last edited by Coockie1176ln on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coockie1176ln wrote: its quite expensive if its working. But send this question in controller forum (y)
Let me see if I can do you one better- one of my friends said we are getting one of these in at my workplace any day now. I'll just plug it up and see if it it works! :tu:
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

tomsa wrote:
Coockie1176ln wrote: its quite expensive if its working. But send this question in controller forum (y)
Let me see if I can do you one better- one of my friends said we are getting one of these in at my workplace any day now. I'll just plug it up and see if it it works! :tu:
That would be soo sweet thanks :D

tomsa wrote:Let me see if I can do you one better- one of my friends said we are getting one of these in at my workplace any day now. I'll just plug it up and see if it it works! :tu:
Please let us know when you get a chance to test it out! :hyper:

Hi there,

I'm a Bitwig studio user and have just purchased an X-Touch.

It does seem to work fine in MCU mode. All faders, transport, time display etc work as expected.

However there are a number of things not implemented. For example I don't seem to be able to get the plugins to appear or control them in any way and there a significant number of other buttons that just do nothing. So it's certainly usable and it's been great to have as is, but of course I want more :)

Anyway, I'm a programmer by profession so I'm in the process of writing a new controller script for it. It's my intention to have every button working and because of the very well done API that Bitwig has I'm expecting to be able to get quite a deep level of integration.

Greg

Greggles wrote:Hi there,

It does seem to work fine in MCU mode. All faders, transport, time display etc work as expected.

However there are a number of things not implemented. For example I don't seem to be able to get the plugins to appear or control them in any way and there a significant number of other buttons that just do nothing. So it's certainly usable and it's been great to have as is, but of course I want more :)

Anyway, I'm a programmer by profession so I'm in the process of writing a new controller script for it. It's my intention to have every button working and because of the very well done API that Bitwig has I'm expecting to be able to get quite a deep level of integration.

Greg
awesome dude :D

Greggles wrote:Hi there,

Greg
Hey Greg,
I don't have it but it just would interest me: Are you able to and if, how can you access the scribble strips at the X-Touch?

Hi u-u-u,

I do have the scribble strips working in code now. They just use basic sysex messages so that's fine.

However, the problem is I was hoping to be able to set their colour to anything. There is a document on the net now describing how to set the colours, which I've tried and it didn't work. Also, it would appear that the colour palette is limited to about 16 colours. I was hoping to be able to set them to any RGB value so that I could match the channel colours in Bitwig. Without taking the unit apart I can't tell if they are using RGB LEDS and if that colour limit is just protocol imposed or if it is actually a hard limit.

I have a XR12 on the way so I will be doing some testing with it to see how the colours are set. It looks like I may have to use the XCTL protocol rather than MCU to get the colours to work, which is fine, just there is so little documentation about that it makes it difficult.

So far I have the transport controls, faders, solo etc, enter / cancel etc, copy / cut / paste etc, time code, lamp test and various other buttons working.

One thing I do like a lot is that there are so many shift keys available that every button can have multiple uses. So for example I programmed the solo button near the transport controls to be an override solo, hold it down and press any channel select and all other channels un solo and only the selected channel goes solo. Hold the solo button down and click Cancel and it will revert to the way it was. There are just so many options.

I guess what I will do is get it going at a basic level, release it and then get feedback on board as to feature requests. However with so little documentation available it is going to be some weeks before I get it all fully going.

Regards

Greg
Last edited by Greggles on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greggles wrote:Hi u-u-u,[...]
Regards

Greg
Sound really cool. I mean, the colours are not the most crucial feature but of course would be cool ;)
When Behringer announced the x-touch like ten years ago I also had the plan to do a BwS control script for it but then it just didn't came out :D
Have fun doing it! As you said - so many possibilities and so powerful. I just try to imagine what can be done concerning device control. Arrow buttons for navigating through device chains and in/out of nested devices. All Parameters directly readable under the knobs. For the basic Bw knob colour indications the 16 colours might be enough. The faders are touch sensitive so writing automation in 'Write' mode should work cool. ... OK, so let us know when it's working :) (or maybe do a yt video :P - no, but first have much fun writing it and realizing your many ideas)

Hi u-u-u

Yes, I couldn't agree more. Really good device control is mega important. That's another thing I wanted to use colours for was when controlling devices. I'd like to be able to set the colours of the 8 scribble strips to the colours of the 8 device macros. That would have made editing super easy.

Regards

Greg

But maybe the those 8 colours are included in the 16colour palette of the x-touch?

A quick update. I've been testing the various connection methods usb/midi/ethernet and also the various protocols today and have discovered the following:

The midi ports are too slow for any really complex tasks involving a lot of sysex. Even a simple lamp test (all buttons, lights, scribble strips lit) can be seen swiping across the display as they are lit. Using usb you can press the lamp test button as fast as you can and it can keep up.

The ethernet port (RTP) connection to windows is not reliable using MC protocol let alone xctl/MC protocol. I think there might be a driver problem here on the x-touch end but I certainly can't rely on it. I read elsewhere that it sends lots of pings when in xctl mode and I'm wondering if this is why.

To get the scribble strips in colour (and even then only 16 it would seem) the unit will need to use either the ethernet or midi ports since the xctl protocol does not offer usb as a choice. I so no reason why they can't have a usb option but unless Behringer decide to release a firmware update we are stuck with no usb.

So the upshot of that is I'm just going to work generic scribble strips for now that are white in colour and set the unit to MC protocol over the USB port.

On a positive note I've been doing a lot of experimenting with group tracks and I am hopeful of adding special support for them. Other than that faders, rotaries, buttons etc mostly work. My next big task is to get menu integration working and then I will move onto device control which I think will be quite a sizeable task.

Greg.

Return to “Bitwig”