RELATED
PRODUCTS

ofc. can be put automation modulation curvers too into the clips too

which can morph the track automation in specific points of the timeline
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Getting custom names in the drum edit view:

1. Create a Hybrid track
2. Insert a Drum Machine
3. Double click on the cells you want as if to add an instrument but just click "Ok" in the popup browser without selecting anything
4. Rename the Cells in the Inspector
5. Add what ever instrument you want after the Drum Machine or in the FX section. The MIDI will flow through the Drum Machine and you'll have custom note names. :party:

http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiOut can send MIDI clock & song position pointer signal which can be used for controlling other DAWs etc. currently I'm using with the chord track of Cubase... working nicely, need some virtual midi cable, OUT for sending the position signal, IN to sending back the nice chord MIDI notes from Cubase
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Test release candidates without installing [ Linux .Deb files / Ubuntu ]

1. Right click on the *.deb file.
2. Choose open with Archive-Manager.
3. Extract all contents into a newly created folder. e.g ~/Desktop/Bitwig-rc5.
4. Navigate to /opt/bitwig-studio and double left click on the bitwig-studio binary to run it.

Breath Controller with Bitwig

1. Options > Preferences > Controllers > Add controller manually > Generic > MIDI Keyboard
2. Double click "MIDI Keyboard" and change to "Breath Controller" (or whatever you wish).
3. MIDI input > choose Breath Controller. MIDI output leave blank. Click OK.
4. Instrument track > Select "All Ins" on your MIDI input (I believe this is default anyway).

Have at it!

You can drag and drop FXB and FXP files (VST standard patches and patch banks) into the Bitwig window to load and play years' worth of your sound design.

Bitwig has a "Sends Only" feature that is not labeled as such!

Sends (to an effect track) will still work after the output of the track has been set to "No output."

i always assumed "no output" would completely kill the signal, but sends still work! :)

On Linux, and on every other OS aswell

you can setup effect tracks and use them for individual mixes, using the sends on i.e. Guitar and Bass-Track, to match the needs of the artits when recording live or in studio.

Make sure you have multiple outputs on your interface and your set it up correctly.

The Pics below show my current setup as an example.

I just use 6 additional outputs for artits, due to the fact that otherwise i needed another unit to connect to using ADAT or SPDIF.

PS: I used the same method to setup my speakers for a 5.1 song i wrote.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Beerhunter on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitwig's Secret Syncopated Rhythm Generator: (this may not work in future versions, it works as of now 1.3.9 and earlier)

Step 1: Create a MIDI track with Cthulhu and a synthesizer of your choice. We have selected a rate of 1/8 in cthulhu. We will rename this track as "MIDI A"
note: does not work with bitwig's arpeggiator

Step 2: Create a MIDI clip on your newly created MIDI track. We will be using one note for simplicity's sake in this tutorial.

Step 3: Create a second MIDI track. We will rename this track as "MIDI B".

-Route the output of MIDI A to:
Output > Notes to Tracks > Tracks > MIDI B

Select the input of MIDI B as:
Input > Tracks > MIDI A > MIDI A

Step 4: Arm MIDI B and hit record > play

With Bitwig's default BPM, 110, you will see the eighth notes as expected...

But! if you change the BPM to 108... (now re-record)
A tempo of 27, 54, 108 and 216 will all work

A beautiful syncopated rhythm has been created by the Bitwig Gods! :harp:

Is it bug? Or secret hidden feature?

A quick intro to collections and smart collections and how to establish them..

viewtopic.php?p=6491254#p6491254
Last edited by llze on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ever wished Note Mod´s envelope would be more flexible? How about a 'hold' stage?

Here´s the Note Mod 2:
Screenshot 2016-06-22 18.44.22.png
Device to be modulated goes directly after the audio receiver. Now you can modulate using all the sources of the sampler!
The envelopes´ length is limited to the length of the sample loaded, no sample, no envelope. You can use anything here, audio from the sampler itself gets blocked by the audio receiver.

Key follow with micro-pitch works as well now (still bugged in Note Mod)

Here´s the preset including 11s of silence:
Note Mod 2.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Its possible to analyze two tracks in Span,

First add the extra channels in Span via the multi out chain selector

Then send track 1 to span & in Span choose the sidechain input as track 2

Then in span choose the routing for 3 & 4 as E & F,then choose the underlay as 2

Just found out you can drag midi notes/data from one clip to another, by simply pulling it from the note editor window to a midi clip in the arrangment view. If you place it on an empty region, it will generate a new midi clip.

This is very useful if you wish to separate a midi file with loads of information, say a drum kit or you quickly want to layer something by using multiple tracks.

To drag and copy and not just move the notes, hold down the alt key on the mac.

Drum machine sub-mixing (bussing) is a bit painful in Bitwig with the current limitations/issues with routing, but I think I've found a way that's reasonably simple. I've tried using multiple audio track for each drum cell with audio receivers and also FX layers with audio receivers in them but it's time-consuming and error-prone if you want to then switch around what gets routed where etc.

Try this:

Create a Bitiwg drum machine device and start creating your drum pattern. All the audio will route straight through the single track as per usual. When you want to split your drum sounds for bussing/sub-mixing, just create a new track with note receiver (from master drum track) and empty drum machine for each buss that you want. You can then drag-copy (I use alt key on my Macbook) individual cells from the master drum machine and drop them in the IDENTICAL cells in the new drum machine (pull the mouse over the track header to reveal the device). This creates duplicate cells with the same devices and triggering with the same MIDI note.

At this point, the midi in the master drum track will trigger both the cell in it's own track AND the cell in the new track, so you get a doubling effect. If you just mute the original cell(s) in the master track, you now have a single track that is triggering multiple drum machines in multiple tracks, but the effect is much the same as bussing the audio out to different channels.

The reason for leaving the original cell in place is so that, when in drum editing mode in the original track, you keep the cell naming. I found that when I just moved the cell and didn't leave the original in place, I lost the cell name in the MIDI editor and just had a note name which wasn't helpful.

I totally appreciate that, on paper, this all sounds a bit cumbersome but in reality it's much quicker and cleaner than routing multiple drum cells with audio receivers etc. It's also much quicker when you want to add more "buss" channels as you can just add another drum machine "receiver" track and copy across the cells that you want.

As an added bonus you can also sequence the MIDI on each track if you so desire. You can easily duplicate the original MIDI clip and drop the notes you don't need. You can even just select the notes you want and drag them to an empty space or an existing midi clip and they will be moved/copied. However, be careful with the positioning of the notes when you drop them as you can drop them wherever you like, not just in the exact original time position they came from.

A sort of workaround to "Start 1.1.1 Here"....

Select the stretch mode tab and make sure the mode isn't set to RAW audio

Disable Absolute Snapping if there is a grid line close to where you want to insert the beat marker

Double click to insert beat marker, right click on beat marker

Start audio event here

It's not exactly the same as clicking "start at 1.1.1" of the clip because you still have to drag it to the beginning of the clip. But i'm assuming this is on purpose because of the way bitwig's clips act as containers.

But! I should add... the knife tool will snap to onsets.. So whichever works for you.. Also depends if the onsets were detected accurately or not though.

Return to “Bitwig”