Did you know (Tips and Tricks) NO CHAT!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No discussion in this thread please.

Create a new thread if you want to discuss a topic.
Everything not directly related to tips and tricks will be deleted, so that things stay as useful as possible.

If an author explains something unclear, ask him via PM (Private Message) for clarification in the original post (via edit post).

To everybody posting Tips and Tricks:
  • Put yourself in the mindset of a newb that has no clue yet how BWS works. Don't assume people know everything already.
  • After writing your post, read it again several times and ask yourself: is it as clear and helpful as it can be?
  • If language is a problem, ask somebody for help.
  • Use a spellchecker (built into every browser nowadays) and try to avoid slang and sloppy writing - international users will often have no idea what you mean otherwise.
Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Holding shift and ctrl (might be shift+ command on mac) on windows on automation will move all automation points upp or down if you hold left mousebutton over while holding shift and ctrl while dragin. So easy to change volume if you automated volume with this trick :) Dont try to drag on the automation points, drag on the line instead
automation.gif

you can between 4 automation points move up and down by holding ctrl on windows might be command on mac
automation 2.gif

using pen tool (3) and holding alt and pressing will make step automation, the selected time grid time signature decide the steps being drawn
automation 3.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Great tips!! Thanks takaii

Punch in = Armed tracks will record when playback reach loop start.
Warning, do not enable record button, it will record everything from start if so.

Punch Out = Armet tracks that have punch in or record button enabled will stop record where the loop in arranger ends. The record button do not inflict here like with punch in.

Having both enabled will work like in gif below.
SHOWING.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

just learned that

when i only want to see presets i created in new browser,
favor presets that i created (click star).
then shift + click plus button in device panel.

reduces 2~3 clicks .
still have to click "preset tab" of browser though.

If you programmed midi melody on top of chords. you can simply drag outside to arranger and it will create a new clip. Wrote about this on post earlier. but update with gif showing better what i mean. No need creating new clips, it will do it automatic.
midi.gif

related to previous post

You can also drag midi from other clips to midi clips in arranger, either copy or move, to copy hold command on mac and ctrl on windows.
reverse.gif

Automation Morphing is probably one of the coolest features.

takaii wrote:
Zetzetovitch wrote:

Could You explain how You do it?
He opens up automation panel on A., have capslock off.
He is in clip baised automation soo press on edit indivudial clips.

Then as you see in picture he change between 3 different types of automation.
The first is normal, meaning automating that will automate the entire knob.

The two other automation is called relativie automation and is possible because bitwig is modulare.
Meaning you change the value like an VCA FADER but you dont move the knob, but you actually change value,
This makes it possible to still move the knob and change "start position" of the automation. And you can even automate the knob the the first type of automation.

Additive automation , you automate from 0 percent to 100 percent of knob value or the reverse -100 percent.

last one is multiplactive automation, that works like it gives -50 percentage of knob value or plus 50 percentage of knob value. meaning if knob is in centre, it will bost to 100 percante and to 0 percante in automation.

Then you can automatie "absolut" normal automation. Because the two other types doesnt automate the knob, it is aka relative automation.
:borg:

Object selection tool , left mouse + drag will select clips when draging on clips.

Video for better explenation.
36 sec long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgMgy3i ... e=youtu.be
IAmRickyRiot wrote:Hey takaii, I'm having trouble getting this to work. Are you saying hold the "Alt" key to do this? I can't get the crosshairs to show up while hovering over a clip to select multiple clips.
pm me next time.
This is not help section but id like to help if you pm me.
Holding alt using object selection tool (1), allows you to select clip in
arranger by draging right on top of them. you can still select clip by draging left to a clip without holding anything.. however if you dont hold alt down on a clip it will just move the clip instead of selecting.

Hope this helps.

Assinging a keyboard key to a parameter assigns it to the current value. You can assign multiple keys to the same knob with different values. For instance:

Set a filter knob to 20%, assign 'a'
Set the same knob to 50%, assign key 's'
Set the same knob to 80%, assign key 'd'

Now you can record automation by pressing the a,s,d keys for sudden stepped changes in your filter.

MIDI note loop is available now. Looks like since from 1.3.8RC1

copying here too (original topic http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=457693 if u have some comment) about routing of BWS

BWS doesn's support feedback looping this is why it's working this way

- signal of a clip goes to the devices area of the given track (case 0) MIDI notes of the orange clip go to the devices of (Inst1)
- u can record the out signal of a track into clips if set the IN of any track to an other one , but the signal doesn't go to the devices in these cases(check the third point for the reason), so (Inst2) can record the out of (Inst1) to clips if the IN of (Inst2) has been set to (Inst1)
- u can send a signal to the device area of an other track(can be group track to), if u set the OUT of a track to an other one in this case it can't be recorded but post processed, this is the OUT of (Inst1) on the picture, the out signal of (Inst1) gonna go the device area of (Inst2)
- if set the IN and OUT too - as in the picture (IN of Inst2 + OUT of Inst1 ) u can record the out of (Inst1) to clips on (Inst2) and the signal gonna go to the device area of (Inst2) too but it can't send back to the device area of (Inst1) so this possibility has been removed from the out list of (Inst2) because it would cause internal feedbacking(endless loop), but the IN of (Inst1) can be set to (Inst2) > this is the case one above, recording to clips doesn't cause feedbacking because the signal doesn't go to the devices

if u put a note receiver device to (Inst1) and check its source dropdown u gonna see that (Inst2) isn't allowed (using the conf above) exactly for the same reason as above, BWS not gonna allow feedback looping,

if u remove the OUT from (Inst1) so not send signal to the device area of (Inst2) the note receive gonnal list (Inst2) because it doesn't cause feedbacking

all the other cases also can be traced back to the feedback looping (audio,note receivers/MODs, sends etc.), hope it makes sense and helped a bit :)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

OK, I admit I found that hard to grasp. So in order to finally understand routing I made a scheme and invite everyone to write me PM if there are mistakes or things to improve or add. This is how I understood the basic routing of Bitwig.
Mac OSX 10.11.2
Safire Pro 14

https://soundcloud.com/kung_vu

Nice signal flow chart! ;)

Using the Audio Mod device for sidechain:

Insert an audio mod device on the track you want to be sidechained, then select the source and then modulate for example only the high pass of an EQ. This leaves your mid and higher range frequencies intact and can be nice for rolling basslines for example.

Optional: Use the audio mod to modulate whatever parameter you can think of.

Last edited by llze on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

There is more tricks in bitwig ;) Take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mMJT_D ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Bitwig”