Did you know (Tips and Tricks) NO CHAT!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This how to Route Your Bitwig Drum Container to Individual Drum Bus Channels. for further group fx processing and group volume level adjustments. Great for creating your own drum breaks, preprocessed drum loops to use in future projects. I also use the same technique instead of bitwig drum container I use either SSD4, SSD5, AD2 or SD3 and layering it with bitwigs e-kick, e-snare then eq,compress etc each group and bounce out multiple versions of drum loops or sections.

Step 1 - Create Group Folder

Step 2 - Add Midi Track with Bitwig Drum Container + drum samples or preset, Also Disable Output on track.

Step 3 - Add FX Tracks within the Group Folder (Drag+Drop them into Folder) rename FX Tracks to Kik Bus, Snr Bus, Hh Bus etc. Output all FX Tracks to Group Folder.

Step 4 - Within the Drum Container Track click open where the individual drum Fader's are and route the corresponding tracks to the FX Send Bus at Full Volume.

To Trigger Notes add Full Midi Clips to Drum Container and FX Buses.

Also to bounce out full drum track add full midi clip to the Master and use bounce option.
Make sure you have all track ready to clip launch when you toggle space bar. You can also solo each group to bounce out individual drum parts or combination of drum parts as well.

Step 1

Step 2 to 4

Project FIle here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20iin3gotp83r ... g.zip?dl=0

Another way of doing this is with Audio Receivers Layered on Individual Tracks which is a bit of a setup.

Also in the Project file download (above) the Audio Receiver example is hidden from view, which is in the Group 2 Folder. Just drop the main midi clip in the drum sampler clip launch or arranger section.,

There Might be another way to do this in bitwig with Busing out your midi drums but I havent figured that out yet..
CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X | DDR4: 3200 64gb | MB: MSI - MAG B550M Mortar Wifi | CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D15 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold | SSD M.2: Samsung 970 Evo Plus and EVO 860 x4 | Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro | Bitwig | Reaper | Resonic Pro

Use only the drive section of the Amp device as a Distortion/Saturation unit:
  • turn off the pre eq, post eq, cabinet (mix -> 0%)
  • copy the important parameters (Clip Model, Bias, Sag, Drive, Gain, Mix) to a new remote control page.
  • set Bias to 50% and Sag to 0% (I find that to be a pretty neutral setting)
  • collaps the device so that you only see the remote controls.
  • save as a (standard) preset for the Amp device (see attached .zip file)
Et voilá: Now you only hear the drive section of the Amp device which has many similarities to a saturation device (Drive + (post) Gain parameter). You also have different clip models which can give different results.
Here is how the settings will look like:
just the amp - inner settings.JPG
Here is how it looks collapsed (very immediate to use because you only see the important controls):
just the amp.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

u-u-u wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:26 am Use only the drive section of the Amp device as a Distortion/Saturation unit:
There's already 'Soft clip' preset for this :)

voidex wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 pm
u-u-u wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:26 am Use only the drive section of the Amp device as a Distortion/Saturation unit:
There's already 'Soft clip' preset for this :)
Oh nice!

You can also simulate analog tape, vinyl and classic electronic circuit saturation by incorporating the pre and post EQ.

As an example, the pr-emphasis on analog tape, vinyl, ... causes more saturation at high the frequencies than than the lower frequencies.

To simulate say 30ips reel-to-reel tape(the classic standard), set the pre EQ mid knob to +15db at 16khz, 0.5Q and set the post EQ mid knob to -15db, 16khz, 0.5Q .

To simulate slower tape speeds experiment with widening the Q to say 0.3Q or wider.

Want actual audio frequency tracking and corresponding keytracked modulation? For free? Here's how:

1. Go download "MTuner" from Melda Productions. (It's FREE)

2. Set up a track like shown in the following screenshot. It works perfectly, and is based on MTuner detecting the fundamental pitch of the incoming audio, then generating an outgoing MIDI note closest to that fundamental pitch. From there, the Keytrack modulator (with default settings) can use that MIDI note generated by MTuner to modulate any EQ point (or anything) you like in a keytracked way with precise jumps. The trick is to enable the MIDI OUTPUT button in MTuner, and of course to set the amount of modulation performed by the Keytrack modulator to a value of exactly 64 on whatever you want to modulate with it.

For example, in the screenshot below, you can see that I played a C2 into Serum on track 1. Then down in track 2, Audio Receiver pulls in the audio from Serum on track 1, feeds it to MTuner (who sees it as 129.8 Hz and therefore spits out a C2 MIDI note value), and then the Keytracking modulator in the EQ-5 sees that incoming C2 and modulates Filter 2 from it's original 400 Hz setting to 200 Hz (exactly one octave lower), because the Keytracking modulator is rooted at C3 (MIDI Note 60). Note the modulation range value of exactly 64 over in the Inspector panel (for the Keytracking modulator assignment to Filter 2 in the EQ-5)

This simple chain should work anywhere for audio frequency-based keytrack modulation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beginner tips on saving nested device chains (I just wasted 20 minutes figuring this out, and the answer on Bitwig Answers is outdated):

When you load the nested device chain, the nested devices won't be visible unless you click on the Post-FX arrow or its equivalent. For example, for Multiband FX-2, the "Post-FX" arrow is hidden by the "Low" and "High" options, but shows up when you hover over them. Similarly, other devices like Delay have special options in place of the Post-FX arrow.

To save a nested device chain: Add nested devices by clicking on Post-FX or equivalent. Then right-click on the first device in the chain and choose "Save preset".

How to record live session in Bitwig?

Connect the mics, arm the tracks, hit record. Like in any other DAW (except Garageband)...

You can make a whole Project-Folder into Dropbox, for collaborations.
Should work with other Cloudservices also, if u can access from your Fileexplorer.

"Bitwig on Linux -- How to avoid common issues"
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=531496&p=7515097#p7515097

I made this new post for Linux users who commonly have the same issues and I am posting it to help alleviate some of these common problems. I hope this comes as helpful for those who want to get things done right and just have Bitwig working for them.

thanks

One Modulator in a NOTE FX Layer can modulate multiple Parts of multiple Note-FX, at once.

Automations:
- You can copy automations with [ctrl]+[d] or [strg]+[d]. Mark the Automation Points with the Mouse, then [ctrl]+[d].
- You can bend booth sides of automation points by hold [alt] and draw from the point up or down
- [alt]and double click resets the curvature
- You can move automation points in the arranger-grid by hold [alt] and use arrow keys [→] and [←].
- You can select more Points buy hold [shift] and use arrow keys [→] and [←].
- You can use the Chaos Editor in the Inspector Panel if you select more than one Point.

:tu:

I have 2 tips

1 Use a step sequencer from another device for drum machine. If you insert e.g. microtonic (which has an excellent x0x style step sequencer) before the drum machine can use it to trigger the drum machine cells (and just turn down the volume of microtonic). You can even group two of them in a midi note fx layer so you can sequence 16 drum cells. There are other drum plugins that can do the same. After I'm done creating a nice groove, I just drag the midi file into the track and work from there.
The downside here is you can no longer see the correct drum cell names in the folded piano roll editor (that also happens when you group the drum machine in either a chain or instrument layer). There is a workaround which is tip nr 2
Just make a copy of the drum machine before all other devices, as the first one in the chain and disable it (shift-click the on off toggle). This way it takes up no resources whatsoever but you do see the correct names in the folded piano roll view

Not a big deal but I can finally have Shaperbox 2 VolumeShaper receiving Midi directly from an audio (rather than create Midi note events in Ableton for those kicks on a separate track) by using the Audio Receiver feeding Replacer.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Return to “Bitwig”