Did you know (Tips and Tricks) NO CHAT!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Super-fine value adjustments (Shift+LMB+RMB): As we all know, you can use the Shift modifier key with the left mouse button to adjust values finely, but the same can be done by simply adding the right mouse button to your left-click as you tweak. Now to adjust values with even finer resolution, add Shift to that combination.

Tap tempo: As mentioned previously, you can Ctrl+Click the Play button to tap in the tempo. The alternate and slightly simpler way of doing this is by just using right-click instead.

Quickly open the DSP performance graph: Click the blue icon to the left of the DSP performance meter within the transport controls.

Use the legacy Audio/LFO/Note MOD devices: With the popup browser open, right-click within it and choose "Include Legacy Devices" to reveal the MOD devices. The browser panel's Devices tab does not list these legacy devices, however you can find them listed under the Device filter section of the Presets tab.

Quickly change display profile / GUI scaling: Right-click the title bar to select from a list of options.

Watching some videos on Bitwig's modulators I came up with idea of how to add warping/stretching to the Sampler. It's far from perfect: works only in range of +/- 1 octave and the quality depends on the sounds used, but it's better than not having it at all.

Basically:
- set the Sampler to not follow the note keys (the piano icon in top left),
- add a Key Tracking modulator to the Sampler, set it up as Relative with Spread of 12,
- make sure that both Sampler and Key Tracking have the same note as a base/root, e.g. C3,
- put the Pitch Shifter in Sampler's FX and modulate its Pitch knob by the output of the Key Tracking,
- adjust the Grain on Pitch Shifter to your liking, although I find the default value of 10kHz (I think?) to sound the best.

This way the Sampler will now play your sound +/- 1 octave around the root note in response to your keyboard, changing the pitch accordingly but at a constant speed :)

With some clever modulator stacking this could probably be extended to cover more octaves, but due to working only on the current sample grain (and not more past & future grains) it wouldn't really sound good anyway.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Ok, this might be obvious for some (all?), but it was a revelation for me today.

When you want to bounce a track full of MIDI clips to separate audio track, you'd think the proper way to do is to select all clips (be it either by Ctrl+A or clicking first clip and then the last one while holding Shift), right-click and select 'bounce'. What this will however do, is you'll get series of audio clips containing only the signal enclosed in those clips in the original track, so anything that bleeds in from earlier clips or bleeds outside of the clip to the empty space or to other clips - like long notes or effect tails - isn't rendered.

One way to solve it is to Ctrl+J to consolidate all the clips and extend it a bit before bouncing, but that means you loose the original clips.

The other way I've found today is that instead of selecting clips, one should make a time selection (using the time tool), going from 1st clip to the last and slightly beyond it - this will render a single audio clip in new track, including all the notes and effect tails bleeding between and outside of the clips.

This shows the difference - 2nd track is a bounce from selecting clips, while 3rd is a time-selection bounce. In the latter there's much more information, because the effect tails aren't cut off between the clips:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Sample Layering in drumrack (drummachine)

Put "instrument Layer" container device in one drumsquare
Fill the device with samplers.
Put different samples in each sampler.
Mix it.
Trigger the midi note and cook some good music with it.

Here's something I discovered today. You can add lookahead to the built in compressor by dragging a Time Shift into the SC FX slot of the Dynamics effect, and then using a negative shift amount. That way the compressor starts attenuating peaks before you actually hear them. You can go up to 500ms lookahead this way.

Loads of Tips and Tricks on this dudes Channel:
youtube.com/vaansplace

Expand multiple modulators at a time:

Holding Ctrl, you may Ctrl-click multiple modulators to have their detailed views expanded letting you work on more than one at a time.
You may also use Shift to select consecutive modulators and achieve the same.
Finally, Alt can be used to bounding-box expand multiple at once.

Once selected, actions such as duplicate or delete can be done to them all should you want to.

Gif shows Ctrl and Alt in use:

I'm still a Bitwig noob, but I'm completely flashed by this awesome DAW.
Probably you all have done this before, but nevertheless it's new for some of you

What do I want to achive:
I want to have sort of control on the tracks "energy level", i.e. the sounds of several tracks change over time be it "width", "filters","reverb times", "mix levels" etc. according to the song structure, i.e. have something like a drop where the sound must be "bigger".
I want to control this with a single automation line

How did I solve it
It's a bit more complicated than I thought, but possible. The approach is based upon Audio-Side Chain controlled by a single Audio track which is not audible in the mix but whose volume is autpmated

Ho to setup:
First - The Controle Track: Here's where I put my MOscillator plugin, which just outputs a sine wave. Then I removed the output of this track in order to make it inaudible. This one is going to be the input for the side chains.
Second - The Controlled tracks/Devices: Use a Audio Sidechain in a Modulator slot. Set it to the "Post" of the controller track. You have to use "Post" because the Volume Automation will control the Volume of the signal that will be routed into the Audio Sidechains. It will controll the "energy level". Adjust the Volume Level of the side-chain to fit your needs. And better set "RMS" to smooth things out.
Third - Routing: I have routed the Modulator output for instanbce to Blur Mix Level, to Delay Width, to a second modulators max level.
Fourth - Draw in the volume automation onto the Controle Track

That's basically it. I have used several side chains on other tracks as well, thus I can now control the "energy level". I just call it this way in terms of like a song structure where you start with an intro with a "low level" and the increase the level of several FX and set it back...you know what I mean.

Hope this was usefull!
Cheers
] Peter:H [

If you are working with the Drum Machine instrument in the drum edit view, clicking the name of the drum cell on the left of the notes will select all of the notes in the clip for that cell! Very useful to delete only one drum, or shift all the notes left or right while leaving the rest of the pattern untouched.

This actually works for any note in the regular piano roll edit view as well, just click on the keyboard to the left of the notes!

Something I noticed in the new 2.4 beta: You can drag-bounce a clip or time selection to any place in the arranger or clip launcher.

Select the pieces you want to bounce. Hold mouse button down to drag them. Press and hold Alt, Bitwig will now start bouncing. Hold Alt until it's finished. The clips you drop will be bounced to audio.

I've never spent too much time with samplers but the sound designing potential is already overwhelming. I also just learned, after spending some time digging (but this is probably old news?) but right clicking the zone parameter P1, P2 and P3 shows the parameters already adjusted by each zone. I was looking for those on the inspector screen where you see what modulation is already going on.

I've puzzled together a nice device called "SuperMacro-8". You have 8 macro controls that each controls a DC offset device:
SuperMacro-8.JPG
You can use an Audio Rate modulator (edit: with low-pass filtering turned off) on any other track to grab one of the Macro Signals to use:
SuperMacro-8_how2grabMacroSignalOnOtherTracks.JPG
Preset + demo clip are inside the .zip file! Have fun with project-wide super-macros! ;)
(Also check out the multiplicative automation in the macro clip there ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In the .zip you find a hacked-together 2D wavetable synth using the Cycles mode of the Sampler device.
The formant control of the Cycles mode even adds like a third dimension to it ;)

Try out your own wavetable samples with it. (and make sure to set root key and zone Select range correctly)

Forum user Hez contributed the consistent volume blending ;)

Holding control and pressing values allows you to type them in manually. :phones:

And to add to the above, the accuracy of (I think) all values is much more than the amount of decimals shown, and in many cases this makes a difference when making very fine adjustments. So think like 0,0045 are possible to enter by hand.

Return to “Bitwig”