your top 3 piano roll requests

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sisarii wrote:I hated midi in Ableton and I hate it in Bitwig since it just copied Ableton. It takes a century and a half in order to get an idea down in both DAWs, god forbid you want to mess around with it later.. Whoever said Ableton was an exemplary specimen of how a piano roll should work so the Bitwig devs should copy it I would love to meet him and introduce him to fl studio.
Just copy paste fl's piano roll, I have yet to meet a person that doesn't put it heaps above any other DAW in terms of the piano roll. I can't take working on 3 DAWs anymore like its rocket science to have track comping and a decent piano roll in the same DAW lol
FL Studio piano roll = so fast and fun to get ideas down, everything else feels like a chore unfortunately :?
Last edited by toby on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

DELETE
Black Octopus Sound | Samples & Presets | VST Plugins & Software (Diva, Harmor, Spire, FL Studio, IK Multimedia & more)

This video (sorry it's in polish, but there are key commands at the bottom of the screen) shows why FL Studio's piano roll is so powerful. Note that this guy all the time uses only paint tool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4l3Xti1y1E

My ideas of improvements! Please watch :D I want to share it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxdG4W ... e=youtu.be
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

You know what? I just bump myself again... :D
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=412645

takaii wrote:My ideas of improvements! Please watch :D I want to share it...

Sry takai, I can't follow this feature request.
I mean when do I need something like this note ramping? What kind of music needs a lot of chromatic sequences? It's the same as a note roll with equal length and note value for each note (and maybe velocity ramp). Maybe nice for trance snare build-ups but what if I need more interesting rhytmic patterns?
These tools are really only special cases I think. Yes, some quick note drawing gestures or note processing macros are welcome but only those who enable me to do great stuff too, not only simple ramps.
Maybe there should be something like a note processing API, that would let us make own buttons for the note inspector and process a bunch of notes quickly how we want :)
What I could rather think of is something like a brush tool where I can select some notes I edited myself and then paint those in with one stroke.
Or something more customizable where these note ramps are only one possible setting of many.
Really, keep some options open. I don't mean it as bashing your ideas, they're good but I wish to push them further :) Everything cool although it's always emotional around tools, mechanics know what I mean ;)

EDIT: just a little addition: an API probably isn't the best solution - and in most cases a combination of a few clever balanced tools will the job best. But make sure that they cover all possible cases.

u-u-u wrote:

I mean when do I need something like this note ramping? What kind of music needs a lot of chromatic sequences? It's the same as a note roll with equal length and note value for each note (and maybe velocity ramp). Maybe nice for trance snare build-ups but what if I need more interesting rhytmic patterns?
These tools are really only special cases I think. Yes, some quick note drawing gestures or note processing macros are welcome but only those who enable me to do great stuff too, not only simple ramps.
Maybe there should be something like a note processing API, that would let us make own buttons for the note inspector and process a bunch of notes quickly how we want :)
What I could rather think of is something like a brush tool where I can select some notes I edited myself and then paint those in with one stroke.
Or something more customizable where these note ramps are only one possible setting of many.
Really, keep some options open. I don't mean it as bashing your ideas, they're good but I wish to push them further :) Everything cool although it's always emotional around tools, mechanics know what I mean ;)

EDIT: just a little addition: an API probably isn't the best solution - and in most cases a combination of a few clever balanced tools will the job best. But make sure that they cover all possible cases.

Im rather with takaii here sry :tu: :hug:
cdgfshgfhd

u-u-u wrote:

note ramping was one of many things i wanted, no need making it like whole video was about it :tu:
Anyway you can use pencil as a brush by holding alt and it turns to the set setting in quantize. It is possible to ramp also by draging up and down, but not something you have to do anyway what i liked was that it turned them to 8ths, 16ths or whatever setting you had p[reset by pressing alt button while still holding down the mouse button. Ramping is more as a bonus there. you dont have to like it or any other idea. it is what i like and dont give a shit about what you dislike about that, honest truth.
:tu: But writting so much about ramping made my vpost look like it was all about it. It was just a small thing off every thing i showed
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

takaii wrote:you dont have to like it or any other idea. it is what i like and dont give a shit about what you dislike about that, honest truth.
Djeez. Why that adolescent tone???
Come on man... Take a beer or 2...

codec17 wrote:
takaii wrote:you dont have to like it or any other idea. it is what i like and dont give a shit about what you dislike about that, honest truth.
Well it was a post about "your three pianoroll imrpovements", not a post to argue against what people prefer (y) my ideas are likely not going to happen anyway but im not here ro argue against peoples ideas or having a fight that my ideas ideas are good or bad. Im only sharing what i want, not searching for arguments for or against it.

takaii wrote:
codec17 wrote:
Well it was a post about "your three pianoroll imrpovements", not a post to argue against what people prefer (y) my ideas are likely not going to happen anyway but im not here ro argue against peoples ideas or having a fight that my ideas ideas are good or bad. Im only sharing what i want, not searching for arguments for or against it.
Hey takai,
really my post wasn't there to bother you. I just see this forum also as a place for friendly competition of ideas. So you brought yours and I brought mine. Never said your idea is bad. I just said I see it (the ramps - i know it's only one aspect of your ideas) as a special case. I really didn't want to make it look bad. I wanted to express that there can be even more. :hug: (unfortunately maybe even more unrealistic :) ) Also don't think that they will implement it like this but who know maybe they read something here and it inspires them? ;)

And BTW, I also thought that quite some time ago, I read something from a Bitwig dev that they wanted to implement something like this note-repeat-dragging (including ramp). Don't know where that was (forum, support mail?) and whether it's still on their list...

u-u-u wrote:
takaii wrote:
codec17 wrote:
Hey takai,
really my post wasn't there to bother you. I just see this forum also as a place for friendly competition of ideas. So you brought yours and I brought mine. Never said your idea is bad. I just said I see it (the ramps - i know it's only one aspect of your ideas) as a special case. I really didn't want to make it look bad. I wanted to express that there can be even more. :hug: (unfortunately maybe even more unrealistic :) ) Also don't think that they will implement it like this but who know maybe they read something here and it inspires them? ;)

And BTW, I also thought that quite some time ago, I read something from a Bitwig dev that they wanted to implement something like this note-repeat-dragging (including ramp). Don't know where that was (forum, support mail?) and whether it's still on their list...
Im sorry btw saying like i did i didnt mean to come out like im angry. it was bad said from me. :hug: I really need to learn to write polite haha :) Im looking forward to see whats happening (Y)

takaiI wrote:I really need to learn to write polite haha :)
Me too. :) Sometimes have the feeling people see me as kinda rude although it's probably just that I'm not a native speaker...
or as arrogant although it's just some friendly smart assing combined with bad English:D

No, I didn't get you wrong and am completely relaxed about things ;) You're a cool guy.

u-u-u wrote:
takaiI wrote:I really need to learn to write polite haha :)
Me too. :) Sometimes have the feeling people see me as kinda rude although it's probably just that I'm not a native speaker...
or as arrogant although it's just some friendly smart assing combined with bad English:D

No, I didn't get you wrong and am completely relaxed about things ;) You're a cool guy.
Thank you =) Same! (Y) :party: :phones:

Here's another thing I would like to see, darker piano roll with more thick separators at each beat, and an even thicker one (as it currently has) to separate the bars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bitwig”