your top 3 piano roll requests

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

must have ones for me:
- step recording (using keyboard, or pedal note length is based on the grid resolution)
- start playing from any position (which position can be selected inside a clip for fluid worklflow)
- playing regions using mouse/keyboard (Ableton Live can do with selecting region and ctrl + space)
or selected notes only -this is the looping time region topic-

that's all :) , so this is my current worflow in AL using Push and step recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I616mchMYkA

(velocity sensitive piano keys depends on their pressed positions also would be nice as in the other DAWs)
Last edited by xbitz on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

1) Improved adding / deleting notes - right now the current method is clumsy with both the arrow and pencil tool and takes me longer to write melodies. the arrow needs to double click to add and delete notes which is twice as many clicks, while the pencil tool becomes hard to select and move notes.
2) Using the pencil to adjust note velocities and other parameters is frustrating when the notes are overlapping. It will adjust all the parameters at once, I wish it would only adjust the closest note (or all notes if they all start at the exact same time). something with the click hotspots is weird, it will even adjust note velocities of notes that aren't overlapping but close in proximity which leads to adjusting the undesired note often.
3) bigger zoom might be nice for when working on step sequencing stuff (when using hide irrelevant notes)

toby wrote:1) 2)
this is why I've bought Push, the basic editing capabilities of both DAWs (AL,BL) is pretty poor compared to FL, but with Push they're able to working quite nicely (except the step recording etc. see above in BWS)

xbitz wrote:
toby wrote:1) 2)
this is why I've bought Push, the basic editing capabilities of both DAWs (AL,BL) is pretty poor compared to FL, but with Push they're able to working quite nicely (except the step recording etc. see above in BWS)
We don't have the API yet to adjust note lengths etc. This is why the Push can't do your workflow yet.
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

1. Make editing more intelligent. I would like combination of both, pencil and selection tool. Is pretty dumb right now. Make just one tool for input a note left clicking a empty space, moving a note when over it left clicking, delete it with right clicking, making velocity changes pressing some hot key like ctr or whatever... but I really dont like having a selection tool for moving notes and another tool for just quicky creating them. Is ...not practical!

2. Keyswitching. That midi channel per midi note thing.

3. Sometimes when selecting a clip, the piano roll area does not focus properly.

I really would like number 1 and 2 to be improved.

Grid shows swing settings. And notes quantize to the grid this way! ALA cubase.
Jared F

Scale selection, ie, you could only input notes from a given scale (with a shortcut for the odd one), where notes that arent on that scale are grayed out.

i'd like a paint tool so i can draw in drum rolls and hi hats quickly
i'd like the paint tool able to paint in notes up and down like the remix feature in geist
i'd like the tools available in a right click menu

emef wrote:i'd like a paint tool so i can draw in drum rolls and hi hats quickly
i'd like the paint tool able to paint in notes up and down like the remix feature in geist
i'd like the tools available in a right click menu
geist has midi-out, so just put a BWS drum rack after it in a track...

yeah i do use the geist midi out like that, but it'd be nice to have that feature or something similar built in to bitwig

super dim, vague reference colors on the piano roll, unacceptable

unable to turn off reference audio to the corresponding note you choose, unacceptable

and most everything everyone else mentioned.

bitwig's piano roll kinda sucks, guys

An, depends who you ask. Have been in Image Line Fl studio and Ableton Live 9. Bitwig piano roll its very good. Personally I would like a few thign I alreaqdy pointed out earlier in this thread but it is, in now way, a sucker!

1) Fix the playhead synch issue
2) Fix the playhead synch issue
3) Fix the playhead synch issue

been broken since day 1

Return to “Bitwig”