Xfer Cthulhu & Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Got Xfer Cthulhu the other day.

Anyone have any tips on getting it to work with BWS ? Or do we need to wait for midi routing to be fixed.

Thanks

Cthulhu wont work in Bitwig.

For now.

macgregor_oi wrote:Cthulhu wont work in Bitwig.

For now.
Should work... just put Cthulhu on a track and follow it with whatever instrument you want to use.

What wont work is recording the midi notes from it...

pdxindy wrote:

For now.

But that should be fixed soon hopefully ?

pdxindy wrote:

For now.
Should work... just put Cthulhu on a track and follow it with whatever instrument you want to use.

^

I tried it with demo and it worked just fine

Yep it worked thanks. Now just to record the MIDI as well.

Oops,

Yes sorry it works but not in the way I have use it in the past, via midi routing.

macgregor_oi wrote:Oops,

Yes sorry it works but not in the way I have use it in the past, via midi routing.
Yeah - I hope this feature is added soon - together with VST-Multi Outs.

What doesn't work though with Cthulhu is bounce in place.. A flat wave is created.
I think this is related to the fact that hardware instrument bounce in place also doesn't work(?)

Has anyone found a work around for this by chance? I've seen posts of it being possible with Mac OSX

CryoSky wrote:Has anyone found a work around for this by chance? I've seen posts of it being possible with Mac OSX
Yep - got a workaround for you . I just have to go set it all up again and test - will let you know then !

For now - you can just add it infront of any VST to allow the Chords to work.

Hi,

As promised - I will try to explain :

If you plan on keeping Cthulhu as a VST to just generate Chords for you in the background so it is only audible, and you have NO NEED for the actual MIDI notes to be recorded from Chthulhu - then just put it in front on ANY instrument and play some notes after loading a chord preset. You will HEAR the chords play but using only a SINGLE note.

However - If you would like to RECORD your chord's MIDI notes to a separate channel, do the following:

Create 2 instrument tracks - I created a VST and MIDI track

Now follow these steps based on the following screenshot:

1. Download the loopMidi from HERE. Install and run it.

1.a Download the loopMidi script HERE - it's safe - no stress :wink:

Place the script in C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitwig Studio\resources\controllers\generic

This is so you can route MIDI out of BW into loopMIDI and back in.

Under the controllers menu - set loopMIDI up like this :

You need to create 2 ports as shown above - circled number 1, one port is for input from Bitwig, and the other is the output that will eventually become the input of your second channel/lane - see below:

2. On the first track (VST) place your instruments as shown and select your input whichever midi keyboard you are using - for this I used a Keyboard app on my Ipad. It's important to note here that you HAVE to select a particular input method - do NOT select ALL INPUTS - this will cause a feedback loop in loopMIDI !!

3. This is Cthulhu VST setup to use only the Chord function.

4. This is the native Bitwig Hardware Instrument that will intercept the Midi data and send it to loopMidi ( this is how you route Midi out of Bitwig at the moment.....). On the hardware instrument, select the Output as the first port you created on loopMidi. Keep the channel as 1. Output is set to nothing.

5. You can use any Synth you want to use - in this case I use the free U-He Zebralette.

On the SECOND Track (Green track called MIDI ), we are now going to record the MIDI played on the first track. To do this :

a) Arm track "MIDI". You will also need to ARM track "VST".

****This is a bug currently in BW because normally you would only need to audition the VST track you want to record from, but as soon as you hit GLOBAL record, it disengages the audition function ( little orange speaker ), and nothing is played back, or recorded to the MIDI track. *******

b) Hit Global record once both tracks are armed, and play away !. You will now see that the MIDI track records the full midi chord as played via Cthulhu. You can now use these MIDI notes on any other track if you like, or manipulate it as you see fit.

All the above can be avoided if BW implements proper internal Midi routing

Hope this helps !

Cheers !
Last edited by Fjorko on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Nice write up! It's even harder to do in some other popular DAWs.

I can't thank you enough. Amazingly detailed write up. Should be stickied for sure!

Right on, thanks Fjorko!

Return to “Bitwig”