OK, what happened to MPE ???

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What happened to the MPE button in Bitwig 3?

dont see it? was it changed?

Click the device and it's in the left panel settings near the top.

yes i used to see that. Now, i am using 3.1 and it seems to be gone, moved or had a name change. If anyone knows, can they post a picture. It must be in my face but i am most likely not looking in right place.

thanks

MPE.png
Make sure the Inspector panel is visible (if not, click the little 'i' in the bottom left corner of Bitwig).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, it's sometimes tricky to select proper device to make MPE visible, which is bad UX decision.

bolba wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:24 am Yeah, it's sometimes tricky to select proper device to make MPE visible, which is bad UX decision.
Why bad UX design?

MPE is a 'per device' setting so it's logical to select the device first.
When the device is selected you can also set other device properties.

Well, if it's not obvious and tricky to understand - it's a bad UX decision, hence this thread.

For example, I cannot quickly select device from Mini List of Navigator panel, need to swap between tabs for that, only to find out where MPE is.

bolba wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:44 pm Well, if it's not obvious and tricky to understand - it's a bad UX decision, hence this thread.
IIt's not a bad UX design right away if something is not immediately clear. Some things you have to learn. Else whole Bitwig would be bad UX design because it wasn't all obvious and clear when I started using it.
For example, I cannot quickly select device from Mini List of Navigator panel, need to swap between tabs for that, only to find out where MPE is.
Where do you want to see the MPE button?

Obviously it should be somehow accessible when you select Track not only the Device.
And yes, it's not the best UX decision.

bolba wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:55 pm Obviously it should be somehow accessible when you select Track not only the Device.
And yes, it's not the best UX decision.
MPE settings are device specific, not track specific. You tell a device to receive mpe data, and set for example what the pitch bend range of the instrument is. This would not make sense for a track as a whole. Different instruments might have different pitch bend ranges.

There is no other UX decision that would make sense. How is it difficult to click the device and see the settings on the left?

BUT the most common user case is to have one VST/Instrument per Track which is actually requires MPE, so why not to quickly show/filter/select it somehow when track is selected?

I think it was better on the track, easier to find for idiots like me!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

bolba wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 pm BUT the most common user case is to have one VST/Instrument per Track which is actually requires MPE, so why not to quickly show/filter/select it somehow when track is selected?
Most but not all tracks have just one instrument. Think of the Instrument selector with different instruments. And audio effects with MPE...

bolba wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 pm BUT the most common user case is to have one VST/Instrument per Track which is actually requires MPE, so why not to quickly show/filter/select it somehow when track is selected?
You can't design a system for what's common. It has to actually with all possible use cases. There's lots of containers like instrument selector or layer device, plus effects. It has to be device specific. There is no other way. It makes no sense to have it as a track setting. how would they chose which instrument or effect it represents? And again, is it that hard to click the device once to turn MPE on?
Rivanni wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:11 pm
Most but not all tracks have just one instrument. Think of the Instrument selector with different instruments. And audio effects with MPE...
Exactly.

But it was a track setting wasn't it?

Is different midi recorded for different devices?

So If I have a device chain where one device is MPE and another through a different route isn't, does BW use the note based articulation midi recording for one and midi based recording for another?

How do I access these different representations for each device?

Also a controller script is "MPE enabled" but that is linked to a track, also I can't have a single "Controller script" working in "Non MPE" and "MPE" mode.

For me the whole thing is a bit of a mess, but what do I know.

Also I'm not saying that any other DAW is better at this stuff, they all have issues.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Bitwig”