Chord auditioning

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

newtobitwig wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 am
Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:15 am Not sure if I'm missing something here, but can't you just play the chord on a keyboard using the same notes as the piano roll? Isn't that the same thing?
yes but
1: it takes a lot of time to do that
2: how would would you play chords like C1 C3 E3 G3 B4 C5 G5 E6 B7 C8 E8 with 2 hands lol
Sustain pedal

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:41 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:15 am Not sure if I'm missing something here, but can't you just play the chord on a keyboard using the same notes as the piano roll? Isn't that the same thing?
yes but
2: how would would you play chords like C1 C3 E3 G3 B4 C5 G5 E6 B7 C8 E8 with 2 hands lol
Sustain pedal
Lmao we all can save a lot of energy and mental effort with the feature

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:41 pm
yes but
Sustain pedal
+1

Select the chord then drag downwards from the top edge of one of the notes, not enough to move them but enough to audition them.. this work-around is working here for me -->
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

^^^ IMO changing the velocity values to the max and selecting/changing the note expression values are the comfiest currently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdkLh50oqeM

at least the most user error proof one
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:44 pm ^^^ IMO changing the velocity values to the max and selecting/changing the note expression values are the comfiest currently

Still way slower than FL.

FL has,in 2019,hands down the best chord auditioning.It's so quick and responsive,and people who don't own a sustain pedal can use it as well. :P

^^^ sure, I'm also an FL Studio user by default :D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Auditioning a single chord is not enough, I want to hear the progression.
Reading and playing from a piano roll/note editor I find quite difficult.

Its a sequencer, there is a play button... (and a solo button...)

That takes ages if you're editing the last chord in a long progression. In Live and Logic its like 'scrubbing' the midi and super helpful.

Trancit wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:18 pm
newtobitwig wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 am yes but
1: Why??
2: Honestly it´s not a good idea to use chords out of 11!!! notes... this muddy up your mixes (doesn´t let space for other instruments to breeze) and even if you are in need of such things it´s better to spread this onto different instruments/presets/sounds than squeezing all into one ...
1. Whenever your using a situation without a keyboard e.g. laptop during commuting for example you are not able to do this.

2. If you're aiming to write massive supersaw-like wall-of-sound patches/progressions (see Anjuna artists) you really do use chords like that due to their larger than life voicing.

Another scenario would be when I do an initial full-arrangement composition with a single instrument apt at covering multiple octaves (piano); I will write across the spectrum like that to rough draft many parts that will later on be separated into instrument sections in the same note editor window.

I'd like to add that people implying that this is a ridiculous feature or workflow seem to be contradicting one of the main reasons to use Bitwig, which is the developers' goal of liberating and enabling users' creative processes in a efficient and convenient manner. Something strongly emphasized by Dave in the Bitwig creative patching video which is linked on their front page.

This is a small QOL change not a massive feature request requiring a overhaul of the code base.

xbitz wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:44 pm ^^^ IMO changing the velocity values to the max and selecting/changing the note expression values are the comfiest currently

I can't get the editor to do this in 3.0 Beta 9? Audition button is enabled and all notes are selected as I select the handle from what I can tell.

EDIT: Oh I see, you need to ceiling the velocity and click on that. Unfortunately not as convenient as I was hoping since it requires altering the note's state and multiple clicks to perform.

If Bitwig implement they will also consider touch interface. Perhaps we just need something to click on/touch at the top of the Piano Roll that plays all notes vertically below. A touch version of FL auditioning.

arrakeen wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 pm If Bitwig implement they will also consider touch interface. Perhaps we just need something to click on/touch at the top of the Piano Roll that plays all notes vertically below. A touch version of FL auditioning.
Touch with two fingers? on the vertically occupied area of notes?

Although I'm not much familiar with current touch controls

Return to “Bitwig”