A lot of UI problems with Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I changed from Ableton to Bitwig and I like it BUT I have a lot of problems with my third party vsts. For example when using Massive it happens after a some time that the UI doesnt work anymore. The UI is like frozen. I can hear that I "move" a knob but in the UI the knob doesnt move. I have also a lot of UI problems with Fabfilter plugins. Is there a fix?

Fabfilters UI issues were caused by Fabfilter and were fixed by them long time ago. Massive works just fine here. So your problems can be you machine-specific. Try contacting either Bitwig or plugins vendor support.

Contact NI and Fabfilter. Or buy the plugins if you haven't. Massive works fine, I've not heard of problems with Fabfilter's stuff.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

@ antic604: I have bought all of my Plugins!

Maybe I have all this issues because I am using a 4k monitor. Are you guys using a 4k monitor too? When using a 4k monitor you have to scale windows to for example 250 % to be able to read anything. I think that this will cause issues with Bitwig and the third party plugins.

Novaliz wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 pm @ antic604: I have bought all of my Plugins!

Maybe I have all this issues because I am using a 4k monitor. Are you guys using a 4k monitor too? When using a 4k monitor you have to scale windows to for example 250 % to be able to read anything. I think that this will cause issues with Bitwig and the third party plugins.
I'm running Bitwig on Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824, so not full 4K) with 175% or 200% Windows scaling and it's been fine. Never had any GUI problems with VSTs in Bitwig. Massive works Ok, I've no experience with Fabfilter but some ideas to try - does it have any graphics options, like eg OpenGL support? If yes, then try on/off? When Bitwig is running, is it rendering the screen using embedded GPU or dGPU? Depending on your graphics card you should be able to set it up per application. Also obviously make sure you're using the latest versions of the plugins and GPU drivers.
Music tech enthusiast

I've had some issues with certain NI plugins being very slow to update their UI. Replika, the VC series comps, etc do it, especially when loading any presets from those plugins. The UI will freeze and be unresponsive but still output sound in Bitwig for about 10 or so then it starts working fine. That doesn't;t happen in other DAWs so not sure why Bitwig is the outlier.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 pm I've had some issues with certain NI plugins being very slow to update their UI. Replika, the VC series comps, etc do it, especially when loading any presets from those plugins. The UI will freeze and be unresponsive but still output sound in Bitwig for about 10 or so then it starts working fine. That doesn't;t happen in other DAWs so not sure why Bitwig is the outlier.
That describes exactly my problem I have with Massive. The UI freezes and it is unresponsive but still outputs sound. The only difference is that I have never experienced that the UI unfreezes after some time but maybe because I havent tried waiting.

My problems with all of my FabFilter plugins look like this example:

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm
Novaliz wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 pm @ antic604: I have bought all of my Plugins!

I'm running Bitwig on Surface Pro 4 (2736x1824, so not full 4K) with 175% or 200% Windows scaling and it's been fine. Never had any GUI problems with VSTs in Bitwig. Massive works Ok, I've no experience with Fabfilter but some ideas to try - does it have any graphics options, like eg OpenGL support? If yes, then try on/off? When Bitwig is running, is it rendering the screen using embedded GPU or dGPU? Depending on your graphics card you should be able to set it up per application. Also obviously make sure you're using the latest versions of the plugins and GPU drivers.
My graphics card is a nvdia 1080 GTX TI and the only graphic options I have is a manual scaling option, a auto option and the menue with the different display profiles. I have changed my Windows scaling to 200% now and first it worked fine but after reloading my project the FabFilter windlows looks like the example in my reply above :/

Novaliz wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:32 amMy problems with all of my FabFilter plugins look like this example:

Do you have any other DAW? This looks like a situation where - in other DAW - you've disabled high-DPI support in the plugin and resized it and it is being remembered by the plugin, but Bitwig's way of handling high-dpi screens is it'll simply stretch the GUI anyway. I have the same with e.g. Spire or Repro-1 where in Live I can disable high-DPI support and resize them up to 200% so that they're super sharp and correct size, but when I then open them in Bitwig they blow out of the screen.

I'll also have to test Massive more thoroughly I guess. It was working OK, but I only ever toyed with it, haven't made any full project I think.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 am Do you have any other DAW? This looks like a situation where - in other DAW - you've disabled high-DPI support in the plugin and resized it and it is being remembered by the plugin, but Bitwig's way of handling high-dpi screens is it'll simply stretch the GUI anyway.
That is a good idea! I have Ableton 10 installed so I will scale them back to normal in Ableton and maybe it will work now!

Thats a point

If you use notebook, problem can be cover by integrated video card.
Find Nvidia Control Panel
Choose program (Bitwig)
And select high performance video processor

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm

I've had the same problem with NI vsts as OP when running Windows scaling at 125% zoom. At 100% and using Bitwig's own scaling there are no problems, however

loungepanda wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:10 amI've had the same problem with NI vsts as OP when running Windows scaling at 125% zoom. At 100% and using Bitwig's own scaling there are no problems, however
Which clearly suggests that NI's issue, not Bitwig's.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”