TTU - Guess the Synth Contest! Soundset for Serum "Holographic Universe" Released

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Holographic Universe Soundset for Serum

surreal wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 pm I feel the base principal is the same in the sense of you dont give a crap that the developer intended his synth to be used for the greater good of the community and not for the commercial gain of another induvidual. The moral thing would be to donate at least some of your proceeds to the freeware developer if possible as a token of appreciation or recognition of his hard work! Thats just my personal take on the situation...
It's actually a bit more than that. It's your implication of the developers intent. Disregarding his real motives, and, especially, the license.

Anyway, as you say, BTT.

:tu:

I'm not sure either how I feel about a paid soundset for a free synth, somehow doesn't add up :D

I have a whole bunch of T-force Alpha Plus presets (amazing free synth) that I wouldn't mind giving away at some point. If I gel equally well with surge, which is possible since its also awesome (in a different way), then something like that might be on the table, too.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

recursive one wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:46 pm It can't be Hive, this one doesn't have a vowel filter

Or can it? Vowel-ish wavetables, dual bandpass?
I want to come back to this point/observation. I personally love the dual bandpass approach to making formant sounds on synths that have layers or multiple filters. I usually take it to quad bandpass or even dual quad bandpass with variable resonances. If I want to get really nerdy, I can tune them to create certain vowels (a, e, i, o, etc). My favorite synth for this is Dune 2/3.

In this case, I'm using a vowel-ish wavetable, but the synth does have dedicated vowel filters :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am The question becomes, would the majority of people buy a soundset for a free synth? I'd LOVE to hear any market data on this.
The real question is what kind of low life would charge for patches for a freeware synth ?
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 pm Shh... not so loud... someone will jump in and claim that it is immoral to make a paid sound set for a free synth. ;)
You know it buddy. Nothing more reprehensible than trying to sell patches for a freeware synth whether it was once payware or not.

Here's an example of proper behavior....I used to have a commercial soundbank for Firebird that was a collaboration with someone else.

The very day Firebird became freeware we also released the bank for free. It's just the right thing to do no matter if someone gets that fact or not........ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Why bother getting so vehement? :D

Back on topic, the pad I posted had 2 elements that could help narrow it down.

1. A comb filter (and a good one, should help narrow it :hihi: )
2. Contains a wave/noise sample

Combine that with the clue that its a wavetable synth, should help narrow it down to a handful, I think :tu:
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

TTU Youtube

Wasn't really planning on entering "songwriter" mode, but felt inspired from the demo track from two days ago :D

https://soundcloud.com/ttu-soundset/tou ... -demo-song

TTU Youtube

Teksonik wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:06 am
Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am The question becomes, would the majority of people buy a soundset for a free synth? I'd LOVE to hear any market data on this.
The real question is what kind of low life would charge for patches for a freeware synth ?

what kind of lowlife would charge for presets full stop :lol:

but seriously, i dont see the problem. If you spend 4 weeks making 128 sounds, why not?

recursive one wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 am It's definitely sounding good, and not thin. So, a couple of synths which usually get a lot of hype around here are already out. :D
Yes, sounds good. Curious to know what synth is that actually.

Next try: Serum?
BINGO!! We have a winner! Pm me your email address :tu:

TTU Youtube

All the audio showcases has been from Serum!! :tu:

Soundset "Holographic Universe" for Serum is released :party:

http://www.touch-the-universe.com/serum ... verse.html

Cheers and thanks to everyone for participating, and congrats to recursive :tu:

TTU Youtube

Cool, i knew that listing every wavetable synth in existence must do the job :party:

Anyway, you did very good job on making Serum sound very un-serum like. None of the qualities people often associate with it like "harsh, digital" are heard here. There vere few examples where i thought "might be serum" but i can't even say what made me think so.

PMed.
Last edited by recursive one on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Teksonik wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:06 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 pm Shh... not so loud... someone will jump in and claim that it is immoral to make a paid sound set for a free synth. ;)
You know it buddy. Nothing more reprehensible than trying to sell patches for a freeware synth whether it was once payware or not.

Here's an example of proper behavior....I used to have a commercial soundbank for Firebird that was a collaboration with someone else.

The very day Firebird became freeware we also released the bank for free. It's just the right thing to do no matter if someone gets that fact or not........ :wink:
Do you really think it would be proper behavior to also give your music away for free as soon the synth you made it with and paid for goes open source? The one is not connected to the other in any way!
Creating sound sets is a creative art form of its own. In a way for those who are willing to support the creator by paying for it are interested in the sounds, not so much how the creator achieved it. That they usually only work if the sound enthusiast has a specific soft/hardware is hindering the universal availability. If you don‘t own Kontakt your out of luck often. If I would make sample based sounds, I would avoid Kontakt for that reason, and instead use either Halion or something like Hise (less complex of course). Hise is free software meant to support sound designers by enabling them to sell sound sets...
Steinberg sets Halion SE free to get something against the quasi standard Kontakt. It will help selling their own sound sets...
Now we have a very potential free synth like Surge. For those seeking good sounds independent of their expensive synth collection this is a perfect opportunity for professional sound designers to deliver sounds...
Of course they would support the development, especially if they have specific needs. Open source project often have a bounty system to implement missing features...
Free software is about freedom as in free speech, not as in free beer!!!
There is nothing wrong at all with selling sound sets for free software, quite the opposite, commercial sound sets can feed the devs indirectly. (Maybe better than all the overhead of setting up a shop could eventually do...)

Oh wow, didn't think it could be Serum. :tu:

AnX wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:18 am what kind of lowlife would charge for presets full stop :lol:
You have in the past. :wink:
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am Do you really think it would be proper behavior to also give your music away for free as soon the synth you made it with and paid for goes open source?
This is the most common response. When someone releases a freeware synth they expect people to make music with it and if they also make money from that music then fine. The EULA's I've read allow it.

But someone making money directly from the plugin when the developer did not is about as deplorable as one can get.

Comparing the minutes it takes to create a soundset with the hours of coding needed to make the synth is ridiculous.

I'm sorry the morals are beyond your upbringing. Anyway half the people who defend the practice have never and probably never will buy patches and have never contributed one second of effort to the community.

Ok I've made my point I'm out. It's easier trying to convince a Trump voter that they got suckered by a con man......... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If I make music with it and I am able to make money with the music its as direct as making sounds. I just wanted to point out, in most cases there is a donation option which should be used according to the benefit you have with whatever is given to you freely. Its about freedom!!! There is no contradiction with making money for all who are involved...
It is just not in the world of deals anymore...
Moral is something private by the way...

Return to “Soundware”