Wavemapper 2 + Wavegenerator: Free custom wavetables

Official support for: wolfgangpalm.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

this thread is for posting your free wavetables for both Wavemapper 2 and Wavegenerator.
The format of the wavetables for both synths are identical and compatible.

It is also possible to use wavetables exported with Audio Term (in Wavegenerator format) in Wavemapper 2.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I have created a big wavetable with 231 of my own waveforms (a "Best Of") and 25 interpolated waveforms which make a full 256 waves wavetable.

Here is a link for that wavetable:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... Pt%20I.zip

The sources for my waveforms were the disconinued DNR Wave Designer (mostly using the formula editor) and others like NI FM8 or Cameleon 5000. The last waveform in the table was created with the editor in Wavegenerator.

This big wavetabkle was created by first craeting 8 smaller wavetables (up to 33 wavefoms including some interpolations) in Audio Term by loading Single Cycle WAV files.
After that the 8 wavetables were combined to a single one by using the "Append" feature in the editor of PPG Wavegenerator. With this feature new loaded wavetable do not replace the current one but will be added to the existing ones.
To get 256 waveforms the first 7 Audio Term wavetables contained 33 waveforms and the last one 25.

To get a rough overview about the waveforms in the wavetable here si a screenshot of the wavetable display in Wavemapper 2, rotated 90° clockwise (the yellow dot is waveform No. 1):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... %20I_1.png

As it is a kind of "Best Of" this wavetable is more suited for using single waveforms but there are "sub tables" of up to 20 waveforms that could be used for scanning. Of yourse you could also use the table how you like. Betwenn different "blocks" of comparbale waveforms or waveforms taht belong together i usually added at least one interpolation waveform (in some cases two).

--------------------------------------------------------------

For creating this wavetable and the included waveforms i needed some tools like:

1.) DNR Wave Designer (plugin seems to be discontinued) : using the formula editor and the node mode (= free draw) to create waveforms.

This is a screenhot of a waveform created by a mathematical formula:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... et%201.png
This kind of waveforms seem to be called "Wavelet".

2.) other sources like e.g. NI FM8 and Cameleon 5000 (additive synth) : samples exported from the host were edited to get single cycles

3.) Steinberg Wavelab Elements 7 : editing + converting waveforms + samples and adding loop points

4.) Audio term (free wavetable tool) : creatuing wavetables from multiple WAV files (or the built-in editor) with up to 33 waveforms (incldsing interpolated waveforms) and export in PPG Wavegenerator format

5.) PPG Wavegenerator : creating waveforms with the editor or combining mzltiple wavetables from Audio Term using the "Append" feature in combination with the wavetables loaded from the drop-down menu.
The "Append" feature adds the waveforms of a loaded wavetable to the existing one instead of overwriting the current wavetable.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully i will publish more free wavetables, either here or directly at the website of Mr. Palm.
I am also still working on free patches for Wavemapper 2 (i did not manage to finsih them for the official release).

Have fun,
Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I posted this in the Instruments forum but this could be also interesting for the wavetable posted here:

Another hint concerning the wavetable paths:

In other synths you got a "WT Position" knob to select interpolated waveforms even if the wavetable only includes few waveforms. Sometimes such "mixed/interpolated waveforms ae more interesting than using the original waveforms form the wavetable. I am talking about uisng single waveforms without a wavetable sweep.

This is also possible in Wavemapper 2 if you set the Wavetable envelope mode to "Const". If you set a path between waveforms the EnvL" knob will now work like a "WT position" knob in other synths and you could use an interpolated waveform instead of the "original" waveforms from the wavetable.

Here is a screenshot that shows this (the green dot represents the constant "WT position" adjusted by the "EnvL" knob):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... on%201.png

The way how "smooth" this morphing is is adjusted by the "Blend" knob (like with wavetable sweeps) where the Blend knob at 0 represents the smoothest blending/morphing.

If you like you could also set the path between two waveforms only.
The scale of the "EnvL" knob is related to the length of the path, not to the length of the wavetable.

If you do not use a path (only a single dot) there wil be a "normal" switching of the waveforms without morphing.
Ingo Weidner

Another hint concerning the wavetable posted above and also for other wavetables:

Those who got Wavegenerator could use the copy/paste feature in the Spectrum editor to copy single waveforms of one wavetable to another one.

This is done by loading a wavetable (e.g. mine at the link), slecting the desired waveform in the Wave grid display, using the "Copy" feature at the Spectrum Editor drop-down menu ("=" symbol at the upper right), load a new wavetable, select the desired location in the wavegrid and choose "Paste" from the drop-down menu at the Spectrum editor.

This way it is posible to create your own wavetable based on waveforms multiple other wavetables.

You could also use the copy/paste feature to first copy the same waveform to multiple locatioms and then add small or bigger changes with the editor.

You could also use the S-PATH feature (instead of SAVE) that saves a new wavetable that includes only the waveforms marked with a dot in a path. This is an easy way to save a certain part of a bigger wavetable as a new one.

In different words this is also explained in the Wavegenerator FAQ:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/WaveGenVst/qfaq/faq.htm#wave

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

thanks for the wavetables... and even more for the tips you are sharing (perhaps should be a separate thread?)

I have to say I'm finding creating WT a bit of a pain/slow on a Mac.
the editor is WG is very limited, and jumping between WM and WG is awkward (you have to copy files manually between directories),
and then having to use other tools doesn't really appeal much. (especially as audio term is pc only, so have to use something like Crossover), given the overlap between WG and WM, I really wish it would be a bit more complete like serum)

but perhaps I just need to get used to all these tools?

[quote="thetechnobear"
but perhaps I just need to get used to all these tools?[/quote]

I guess the answer is yes, anyway having Audio Term is a quite a "must have" if you seriously want to create wavetables for certan synths.

Anyway doing really good wavetables is no simple task. I am still working on that too.
Everyone could create a wavetable based on some waveforms but creating a wavetable tat actually sounds great and/or different when used for wavetable sweeps is a difficult task.

In that respect l really like the wavetables created by Wolfgang Palm including the huge collection included with PPG Wave 3.V.

Same about creating new and/or intersting waveforms which could be difficult too. A mathematical editor like in e.g. DNR Wave Designer (use for most waveorms in the wavetable i posted above) and also in Serum could deliver interesting results while smetimes it's like experimenting with different formulas and then checking how the waveforms actually sound....

PS:
I also got the Galbanum waveforms collection since a while but hesitäte to actually use those as for commercial use including factory content you (or the company that creates the synth for the factory content) have to pay a fee for the waveforms you use there.
The use of those in only really "safe" as long as you use them for your personal needs. Redistributing in any way could use to trouble (without paying a fee or asking for permission).
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

the human ear is basically a spectrum analyzer.
it doesn't care about the phases of the harmonics in a waveform.
so creating a wave from a spectrum is the most natural and useful way.

thats the reason i used a spectrum editor as basic input device for the wave generation and not geometric editors.

and its not only the static wave construction, but the construction of a useful wavetable, which also can be done quite comfortable in WaveGenerator when you record the changes you do by painting the spectrum or the wave itself.

origwt wrote:the human ear is basically a spectrum analyzer.
it doesn't care about the phases of the harmonics in a waveform.
so creating a wave from a spectrum is the most natural and useful way.

thats the reason i used a spectrum editor as basic input device for the wave generation and not geometric editors.

and its not only the static wave construction, but the construction of a useful wavetable, which also can be done quite comfortable in WaveGenerator when you record the changes you do by painting the spectrum or the wave itself.
Hi Wolfgang,

nice to see you posting here. You are are right, a spectrum editor seems to be the best way to create waveforms from scratch.
Anyway a mathematical formula editor like i had used with e.g. DNR Wave Designer could be interesting to experiment with waveform shapes while i admit that the results are not always useful.

While i first tried to use the waveforms i already created (a collection is in the wavetable posted above) i will try to more use the built-in editor in Wavegenerator in the future. This is also nice to check which partials are used for certain kinds of waveforms.
Some of my waveforms were created exporting a sample of sounds created with an additive synth. Those could be recreated very easily in the spectrum editor of Wavegenerator.

For example currently i checked which partials were used for some Bell like waveforms i liked and then tried to create my own waveforms based on re-combining those partials (and finally adding some new partials myself)...

I guess what you mentioned is the record feature of the editor where adding a partial adds a new waveform to the wavetable. Currently checking this myself.
Ingo Weidner

I guess what you mentioned is the record feature of the editor where adding a partial adds a new waveform to the wavetable. Currently checking this myself.
yes, the nice think here is, that you get a continuous motion of the waves and not abrupt changes.

Some time ago PietW published the Prophet VS waveforms from the Korg Wavestation as multiple wavetables for PPG Wavegenerator:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=398289

AFAIK he had crataed those from the Wavestation plugin. Around the same time (or earlier) i had cretaed those myself from samples of my Korg Wavestation EX hardware synth.

First creating 4 wavetables in Audio Term and combining those with Wavegenerator i created a single wavetable with 124 waveforms from the Wavestation EX:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0Waves.zip

The first 3 waveforms like in the VS are standard waveforms like Sine, Saw and Square.

UPDATE:
Piet just updated the link at his thread (as the link was broken):

So far this seems to include 7 smaller wavetables (from Audio Term) with 33 waveforms including additional interpolated waveforms.
While i compared some of the waveforms with mine i found that while some waveforms in the Wavestation plugin seem to look a bit differently to mine from the hardware (including an inverted phase) the resulting sound seems to be mostly similar.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:Some time ago PietW published the Prophet VS waveforms from the Korg Wavestation as multiple wavetables for PPG Wavegenerator:

AFAIK he had crataed those from the Wavestation plugin. Around the same time (or earlier) i had cretaed those myself from samples of my Korg Wavestation EX hardware synth.

First creating 4 wavetables in Audio Term and combining those with Wavegenerator i created a single wavetable with 124 waveforms from the Wavestation EX:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0Waves.zip

The first 3 waveforms like in the VS are standard waveforms like Sine, Saw and Square.

UPDATE:
Piet just updated the link at his thread (as the link was broken):

So far this seems to include 7 smaller wavetables (from Audio Term) with 33 waveforms including additional interpolated waveforms.
While i compared some of the waveforms with mine i found that while some waveforms in the Wavestation plugin seem to look a bit differently to mine from the hardware (including an inverted phase) the resulting sound seems to be mostly similar.

Ingo
Thanks, Ingo!
Ha ha suck it!

Thanks for these PietW and Ingonator.
BC

Ingonator wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:02 pm Hi,

this thread is for posting your free wavetables for both Wavemapper 2 and Wavegenerator.
The format of the wavetables for both synths are identical and compatible.

It is also possible to use wavetables exported with Audio Term (in Wavegenerator format) in Wavemapper 2.

Ingo
Any chance you can re-link the wavetables to Dropbox? Cheers

Return to “Wolfgang Palm”