Changes to soundbanks in Spire 1.1.13 not persisting?

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just purchased Spire but am having problems getting changes to my sound banks to be recognized.

If I change a patch, and then save my sound bank, the change disappears in Spire as soon as I close Spire or switch to a different bank. Spire appears to be caching the old version of the sound bank in its config, because even if I unload and reload Spire, the changes are still not reflected.

However, the saved bank does have my changes, because I can get saved changes to appear if I: 1) Switch to a different bank, 2) Remove my custom bank, 3) Re-import my custom bank, and 4) Switch back to my bank. Then my changes show up. That has to be a bug.

Also, is it normal that there is absolutely no warning when switching to a different sound bank, that any changes you made to the existing bank will be wiped out?

I sent an email to RS about it already, but am wondering if this is just the way it's supposed to work. Please tell me it's a bug because that pretty much destroys an efficient sound design workflow.

Hi!

You can load the bank from anywhere from the hard drive using the Load Bank option and save changes to it using Save Bank option.

If you want to re-save the bank, which is already imported into plug-in, please perform the following:
1. Menu / Save Bank
2. Select the folder / Documents / RevealSound / Bank
3. Replace the bank file with the same name.

vega555 wrote:If you want to re-save the bank, which is already imported into plug-in, please perform the following:
1. Menu / Save Bank
2. Select the folder / Documents / RevealSound / Bank
3. Replace the bank file with the same name.
Hello. Thank you for your response.

I am already saving as you describe. However, this only saves the changes to the bank's file. It does not update Spire's internal bank cache. As soon as Spire is restarted, the changes to my bank disappear, reverting to the version of the bank in Spire's internal cache.

Because of this, the only way to save changes to a bank, and have them persist in Spire is: Save the changes to the file in ~/Documents/RevealSound/Bank, remove the bank from Spire, and re-import the bank back into Spire.

In a nutshell, the problem is that Spire only updates its internal cache when a bank is imported, but not when a bank is saved. It also does not re-load the banks from ~/Documents/RevealSound/Bank on start. This is very cumbersome, and no other synth I own works this way.

I propose the following to help fix this, at least until the new patch browser is done:
  • Rename "Save Bank..." to "Export Bank..."
  • Add a new "Save Bank" function to the menu that refreshes the cache with the current bank's state.
This would make a sound design workflow much easier, and would also make Spire behave as a user would expect.

Thanks again for your wonderful synth.

Return to “Reveal Sound”