Spire: Feature requests

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oscillator sync.

It would be nice to have a hardware midi-controller, specifically designed for the spire interface, it would add the analog human factor at a fraction of the cost of a real hardware synthesizer! That is the way of the future for live performances!

Boudha_Boy wrote:It would be nice to have a hardware midi-controller, specifically designed for the spire interface, it would add the analog human factor at a fraction of the cost of a real hardware synthesizer! That is the way of the future for live performances!
Still dream of a affordable controller, in the style of the Roland System-8, to control soft synths. Don't think i'd even look at (digital) hardware synths again then. You probably won't be able to access any parameter that way, but, if you're able to access 80% of the parameters, then that's good enough for me. Some parameters hardly get a use anyway. For now, i'm fine with my controller keyboard though.

Ability to run Spire in FX mode, so we could for example use its effects with an external audio source.

The built-in effects are really nice, especially plate reverb, which I was unable to mimick using any other plugins (I tried maybe 10 various).

+1

Let me chime in for ring mod as well. Seems like it would be one of the easier ones to implement, just use ctrlA for amount and ctrlB for modulator pitch -- not sure if it should follow the pattern of FM or HardFM though, and surely we don't need two modes for ring modulation!

It seems like this is territory that AMsync should be able to cover, and yet I just can't seems to make that happen -- pure RM really is it's own thing.

Another thing that always struck me as odd is that in classic mode, when you blend in a wavetable, the A/B controls stop doing anything significant -- they seem to just mess with the phase. What if adjusting the pulse width also applied to the wavetables, that is, you could do PWM on the wavetables? Again, this seems like a relatively easy thing to do that would unlock a lot of sounds that simply aren't possible at present.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

A few requests for the STP1 & STP2 editor to make it more usable, I found it a bit of a chore to edit it.

*1 - When in mono mode, grey out the lower row, and maybe make both change when you edit the top row.

*2 - Implement a way to quickly disable/enable one segment, for example by right clicking to instantly set it to 0, alternatively, add a row of "lights" that you can click to toggle on and off per segment, this way you can quickly get the pattern you want, and then tweak the shapes of the ones you want to keep.

*3 - Subpresets?

- Wavetables: import, edit, export
- Drag & Drop modulation
- Lower CPU usage

Hey guys, new user here.
I really like Spire - it has a great sound and it's amazing to have some of the fat crispy Virus TI sound again.
But some things about this synth is a bit puzzling...

Number one feature request is a much improved preset browser and I know that this is planned. I was just wondering how the preset system ended up being such a hassle to use? I mean, if I want to use preset banks, I'll have to save my bank each time I have added new presets or they will be lost. If only one could just add presets to an imported bank and they would stay there. But then you have to save your bank and import it again - if you don't import it again the presets are gone after switching to another bank and back again. And you even have to save the bank under a new name each time or else you cannot import it... :roll:
Really hope to see a much improved browser soon.

I think the filters and the EQ parameter values should be displayed in Hz. The Level knobs should display gain in dB and Pan should go from -100 to +100. Everything in this synth goes from 1-1000 which is just crude.

An easier way to assign parameters to a modulation source - for example by right clicking a parameter or by dragging the modulation source to a parameter like it's done in many other synths now. That would make it so much easier and fun to make patches!

The Arp does not start in sync. This surprises me and actually a number of synths doesn't do this. But if you're used to Ableton Live's Arpeggiator you will also expect other Arps to always start in sync. It's not usable for any live arp playing unless you're 100 percent tight. Even a bit off and it's painfully noticeable.

Visual feedback! The envelopes are static! Why not animate the lines so that they show the envelope as it is set like nearly every other synth does it?
Also it would be handy if there was an indicator if a parameter is being modulated.

Looking much forward to the forthcoming updates and I hope these suggestions will be included.

Soarer wrote:Hey guys, new user here.
I really like Spire - it has a great sound and it's amazing to have some of the fat crispy Virus TI sound again.
But some things about this synth is a bit puzzling...

Number one feature request is a much improved preset browser and I know that this is planned. I was just wondering how the preset system ended up being such a hassle to use? I mean, if I want to use preset banks, I'll have to save my bank each time I have added new presets or they will be lost. If only one could just add presets to an imported bank and they would stay there. But then you have to save your bank and import it again - if you don't import it again the presets are gone after switching to another bank and back again. And you even have to save the bank under a new name each time or else you cannot import it... :roll:
Really hope to see a much improved browser soon.

I think the filters and the EQ parameter values should be displayed in Hz. The Level knobs should display gain in dB and Pan should go from -100 to +100. Everything in this synth goes from 1-1000 which is just crude.

An easier way to assign parameters to a modulation source - for example by right clicking a parameter or by dragging the modulation source to a parameter like it's done in many other synths now. That would make it so much easier and fun to make patches!

The Arp does not start in sync. This surprises me and actually a number of synths doesn't do this. But if you're used to Ableton Live's Arpeggiator you will also expect other Arps to always start in sync. It's not usable for any live arp playing unless you're 100 percent tight. Even a bit off and it's painfully noticeable.

Visual feedback! The envelopes are static! Why not animate the lines so that they show the envelope as it is set like nearly every other synth does it?
Also it would be handy if there was an indicator if a parameter is being modulated.

Looking much forward to the forthcoming updates and I hope these suggestions will be included.
agree with mod indicator
but env visualisation is useless I think

re23071998 wrote:- Wavetables: import, edit, export
- Drag & Drop modulation
- Lower CPU usage
- Get rid of osc tabbing

re23071998 wrote: agree with mod indicator
but env visualisation is useless I think
How can it be useless when that's the way it's represented in almost every other synth? What is really useless are the static pictures that are taking up space in the GUI as it is now. The switching curves of the envelopes might as well be done by small buttons.
In many synths you can also shape the envelope points/line and it does shows a more true representation of the envelope.

Many other synths suck, and I particularly loathe the drawn-in sort of envelopes. I much prefer the way Spire does it. The sliders are a great way to visualize e.g. a pluck, where sustain and attack are zero and decay and release are the same value. Then I can view the segment display to see what kind of curves are used for each segment.

With drawn-in envelopes, the decay portion of the pluck just looks like a flat line running across the bottom of the envelope display. You can't even make out the curvature! Only a gibbering moron who prefers pretty toys over functionality would opt for that kind of envelope display.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Hey dude it's really childish to write insulting names.
This is the place for suggestions and these were mine. It works more than fine in other synths and in Ableton's instruments. Yes if you have a very short attack it's harder to see the curvature of the decay but usually there are knobs or sliders too. That's why there's no real need for these static envelope displays. I never said there's anything wrong with sliders but I think the display should move accordingly. Anyway it's just a synth and it's up to Reveal Sound it they prefer this.

I'd really like freely drawable envelopes. I think it is also a good idea though to visualize the envelope shapes as it is now, gives you some visual feedback over what you're doing, and that is always a good thing IMO.

Return to “Reveal Sound”