Riffer problems

Official support for: amplesound.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Riffer is for me an fantastic feature to compose realistic guitar riffs.
But there are some design flaws I would like to share with the hope the developpers will address.

1. The [PLAY] button position.
On both the left and right, there is the [previous riff] and [next riff] buttons.
At first I always got it mixed up with a [previous measure/beat] or [next measure/beat] button.
Especially since the icons themselves look like fast rewind/forward buttons.
Confusing and not expected.

2. There are no [PREVIOUS/NEXT BEAT] or [PREVIOUS/NEXT MEASURE] buttons!
To listen to what we compose with the riffer we have to start from measure one all the time!
It would be very helpful to start from the beat we need to compose a riff. The current way is a tedious process.
There should be a play position cursor to indicate the progression -- and we then could start playing and editing at the beat or measure we need.
The best would to to move the cursor position instead of a forward/next button.

3. Inserting a note.
Currently, we have to click FOUR (4) times (!!!) to insert a note at the desired fret position and at the desired length.
a) click on the desired string at the desired time position
b) click to insert the note
c) click and drag to change the fret position
d) click to drag the note at the desired length
I'm sure we could only click once then drag horizontally or vertically to change the pitch and length.

4. Clicking the [LOAD RIFF] button should not remove the riff we're currently working on.
It should just stop and allow us to listen as a preview when we click on a new one.
It makes selection easier; we could listen to what we need without having to loading a new riff.
Like Toontrack's Easy Piano or Drummer.

Thank you for considering these.
And don't get me wrong: I absolutely love your products, but these suggestions would make composing much easier.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

1. your suggestion makes sense.

2. You can select a note, then start playing on this note.

3. You can change the pitch with drag vertically, but have to put mouse on the tail of the note to change the length in current system. the current UI is small, the horizontal dragging may change the value of vertical dragging as well, it may causes mistake (or user has to drag note very carefully). we need a bigger UI for this feature.

4. We would think about it.

In the mean time, we are working on undo redo and multi select \ edit features.

EDITED:

Thank you for the reply!

2. Thank you, I didn't know that clicking on the note would trigger playback at that given time. Issue solved. That's great.

3. My initial suggestion was to speed up note entry. To insert a note, we could drag at the same time the pitch in a single click. In the current behavior, the transparent grey note positing tool needs to be clicked two times before inserting a note and then clicking a 3rd time.

Thank you again.

Could I ask how you solve the problem of trying to find your edit point again once the Riffer has wound back to the start (or last playing start). I think a "last stopped" feature would solve it. As it is, "pause" should be called "pause and rewind".

Ample Sound wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:06 am Many thanks for your suggestions.

3. You can change the pitch with drag vertically, but have to put mouse on the tail of the note to change the length in current system. the current UI is small, the horizontal dragging may change the value of vertical dragging as well, it may causes mistake (or user has to drag note very carefully). we need a bigger UI for this feature.

The other issue I find is that sometimes when I'm dragging a note to beyond one measure it doesn't let me extend it longer than a certain distance, and bounces me back (I mean the GUI jumps back to before the end of the note I am attempting to drag out). I tried extending my note length for awhile and never got it extended to my length. Is there a max length?

moonchunk wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:46 am
Ample Sound wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:06 am Many thanks for your suggestions.

The other issue I find is that sometimes when I'm dragging a note to beyond one measure it doesn't let me extend it longer than a certain distance, and bounces me back (I mean the GUI jumps back to before the end of the note I am attempting to drag out). I tried extending my note length for awhile and never got it extended to my length. Is there a max length?
Thank you for your report. Could you make a screenshort video demonstrating the problem when the problem occurs the next time?

Return to “Ample Sound”