Ample Sound sample quality

Official support for: amplesound.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone ever actually listened to the individual samples in any of the acoustics? Have you checked them for tuning issues, buzz, deadness and so on?

I've checked every individual sample and In the AGM2 and AGT2 I'm finding many, many horrible sounding samples. The way the VI works is really impressive but the end result is very weird sounding because of the sample quality.

I've tried making tuning corrections in the Sample Editor but some of the samples are just plain dodgy and defy any correction.

The pitch problems really stand out when you combine the guitar with other, better tuned VIs.

It's too bad you can't put your own samples in there. I'm absolutely positive I could do a better job recording them. Ample Sound should sell a "build your own" version!

I'm sure some would say I don't have the most well-tuned ear (and they'd be right), and I admit I have not done a sample-by-sample review, but all I can say is that as an overall instrument, I've personally found the AGM2 to be very usable, pleasing and musical and to have a terrific sound (as well as having a great engine, as you acknowledge).

You do realise that tuning a guitar is always a compromise - no guitar is ever completely 'in tune'? Also particularly lower strings may come up on a tuner as being sharp initially, given that it takes a short while for the vibration to die down a bit.

Never had any problems with either the tuning nor the sound of AGT2 -used it in many tracks alongside real guitars and bass, other sampled stuff, strings, sinthesiser etc.

Could you post an example?

Sure thing. I captured these quickly just now and they're not as bad as the most offending samples. These aren't really examples of bad tuning as much as weird noise...and it's different on each one.

Let me know if you hear something different than this when you play these through your DAW.

I don't see how to upload these AIF files so they're uploaded here for download:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=049 ... 6183039202

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=755 ... 8690188033

For those who don't want to listen it's examples of F3-string1-fret1-velocity1 and F#3-string1-fret2-velocity1.

kvrat wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm Sure thing. I captured these quickly just now and they're not as bad as the most offending samples. These aren't really examples of bad tuning as much as weird noise...and it's different on each one.

Let me know if you hear something different than this when you play these through your DAW.

I don't see how to upload these AIF files so they're uploaded here for download:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=049 ... 6183039202

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=755 ... 8690188033

For those who don't want to listen it's examples of F3-string1-fret1-velocity1 and F#3-string1-fret2-velocity1.
I think what you think is noise is just the vibration of the guitar and the other strings. Sounds absolutely fine to me - you'll never eliminate that if you're recording an acoustic guitar!

I'm not here to argue. Just calling it like I see it. If you're playing 5 or six strings and each of the samples include some sort of noise then the cumulative effect can be a train wreck...and it's on there every time!

I've found that the notes up the neck are the most likely to sound odd and/or out of tune.

This is all in comparison with what I hear in other VIs as well as actual recordings of an acoustic.

Like I said, the instrument's "engine" is top notch. I wish I could combine it with the samples on others that I've used. Perhaps version 3 will be an improvement.

Here's a question: Why is there so much tuning done in the Sample Editor with the default setting?

kvrat wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 pm I'm not here to argue. Just calling it like I see it. If you're playing 5 or six strings and each of the samples include some sort of noise then the cumulative effect can be a train wreck...and it's on there every time!

I've found that the notes up the neck are the most likely to sound odd and/or out of tune.

This is all in comparison with what I hear in other VIs as well as actual recordings of an acoustic.

Like I said, the instrument's "engine" is top notch. I wish I could combine it with the samples on others that I've used. Perhaps version 3 will be an improvement.

Here's a question: Why is there so much tuning done in the Sample Editor with the default setting?
I think we'll have to agree to differ on this then, as I really don't hear what you are.
Been playing for 30 odd years and record a lot of acoustic guitar in my songs, and when I've added programmed parts with AGT I've never had an issue with the tuning fitting in with them, or anything else. Each to their own!

Just on the tuning question though - no guitar, no matter how good, will have completely equal temperament all the way up the neck, so some manual tinkering is always necessary. Had to do it myself when I've made kontakt patches of my own guitars.

Hi thanks for your suggestions kvrat, we listened your audio examples, you played those 2 MIDI notes F3 and F#3 with velocity 127, this velocity value (127) triggers Pop articulation which is very hard and bright, not normal Sustain sample. Please try lower velocity - for example 100, 80, 60, 30.

Ample Sound wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:22 am Hi thanks for your suggestions kvrat, we listened your audio examples, you played those 2 MIDI notes F3 and F#3 with velocity 127, this velocity value (127) triggers Pop articulation which is very hard and bright, not normal Sustain sample. Please try lower velocity - for example 100, 80, 60, 30.
I implore you to check every sample for deadness, buzziness and tuning issues.

I have a 40 year old Yamaha and when I lightly pluck (as in low velocity) a high string on a high fret I get a pleasant, long ringing tone. Some of your samples sound like the strings are completely dead...and the AGM is supposed to be an "M" guitar?

It's great that you guys listen to suggestions. Thanks!

Return to “Ample Sound”