Hanging Notes

Official support for: amplesound.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still get a lot of hanging notes within Logic. This has been happening for at least a year and none of the updates have seemed to address it. It happens ALOT.

It doesn't matter if I have the transport playing or I'm playing it by itself without other audio. It will also happen just playing back midi regions. Round Robin isn't switched on at the moment either. Sometimes I'll go a few minutes without issue, at other time it happens straight away.

It's really slowing down the workflow. It's usually just one note, and any subsequent hits won't reset it, so it doesn't appear to be a MIDI thing. One possibility is that the notes are very quick and the engine just doesn't get the off messages.

Thank you for bringing this up!

I just got AGTC II 2.5.5 with the neck extension. It sounds wonderful, but these hanging notes are really interfering with the workflow, to put it in the nicest possible way. This is in Live 10, OS 10.12.6, and no other, non-Ample instruments behave in this pesky way.

A fix is urgently needed, please!

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Sorry what does hanging notes mean? could you make an audio or video to explain it?

Ample Sound wrote:Sorry what does hanging notes mean? could you make an audio or video to explain it?
It means that completely at random, a note will not cut off when I release the keys but continues to ring as if CC #64 were applied only to that particular note.

I have the exact same experience as simon.a.billington reports above, although I get it also in Live 10. Mac OS 10.12.6, Roland A-500 Pro controller. Since Simon reports the problem in Logic, it seems we're both on Mac OS.

Most often, it's just one note that doesn't seem to receive Note Off or Note Vel = 0, whatever. If I hit that particular note again, after its release envelope has ended, the same thing happens. Then suddenly, everything plays normally. Apparently, it's not a problem with recorded MIDI, since a short noodle I played and experienced a ringing note, didn't reproduce the problem when I played back the recorded MIDI later.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of moving house and have no time to spare to make a thorough investigation. I had hoped that this was a known issue. I will revisit it once this moving house hurdle is over…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for your explanation, but even you said "did not reproduce the problem", we have to have a MIDI file which can reproduce the problem, we can not fix the problem without it and we never find this bug when we played the MIDI keyboard.

Ample Sound wrote:Thanks for your explanation, but even you said "did not reproduce the problem", we have to have a MIDI file which can reproduce the problem, we can not fix the problem without it and we never find this bug when we played the MIDI keyboard.
Thank you for responding! I understand that chasing a ghost is difficult if it doesn't leave any traces… ;-)

I'll do what I can to try to isolate it. As I said, it will not happen tomorrow, unfortunately, since I'm moving house. Hopefully in the second half of June! This year…

Kind regards,

Joachim

OK, but perhaps simon.a.billington can do it.

I think I've found the culprit, at least on my system.

By habit, in Live I usually select 'All Ins' as the default for 'MIDI From'. Figuring I'd better make a quick test (after a couple of hours, you get tired off packing stuff in boxes; I'm moving house as I mentioned), I connected Live to my Yamaha S70 XS with a MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface and set the 'MIDI From' to the 'Fastlane' only.

Lo and behold – after 20 minutes of noodling, not a single hung note!

OK, so I reconnected my Roland A-500 PRO controller and under 'MIDI From' selected only 'A-PRO (A-PRO 1)' instead of 'All ins'. Again, no problem with hung notes.

Mind you, I haven't got any similar hung notes from any other instrument using the A-500 PRO while leaving 'MIDI From' at 'All ins'. Perhaps Ample libraries are more sensitive than others to minute disturbances? Anyway, with the above focused settings, everything is now OK.

It would be interesting to know if simon.a.billington had some similar general MIDI setting in Logic.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Ample Sound wrote:OK, but perhaps simon.a.billington can do it.
All you need to do is play it logic, just jam along to a drum groove or something. Usually it manifest itself with in a few minutes.

It’s definitely not a sustain pedal thing. It’s quite possible that with the multisampling that a specific layer/round-robin sample gets triggered, but doesn’t receive the note off. Any subsequent hits on the key won’t trigger the off either.

If you play it back, the issue is there. It’s true if you save the project and reload it the issue is there. But if you remove AmpleGuitar and reinstate a new instance, it goes away, even if you playback the same MIDI region

This seems to tell me the issue isn’t in the MIDI, but in the instance of AmpleGuitar itself.

I can try and get you a logic project to demonstrate it, but there’s no guarantee it will playback the same on your machine.

Thanks for your reply, but we tried our software in Logic and can not reproduced the hanging note. that is the reason that we even didn't understand what does hanging note mean.

Ample Sound wrote:Thanks for your reply, but we tried our software in Logic and can not reproduced the hanging note. that is the reason that we even didn't understand what does hanging note mean.
Okay... I’ll try to reproduce the issue and provide a copy when I get a moment.

Hi, I have something similar going on in MainStage (3.4.2). A hanging virtual string if you will. I've read this thread a couple of times before but to no avail. I've also updated to 3.01 but alas still a hanging string. Then I read this thread again in the hope that there was an update but there was none.

Someone mentioned to make sure the midi data of only 1 instrument gets to the virtual instrument. In MainStage you have the keyboard and sustain pedal (and even an expression pedal) that are configured by default. I changed the input of the keyboard before but I didn't configure the sustain pedal ...

So I deleted the expression pedal which I never use and set the sustain pedal as well as the keyboard up so as to receive only midi input from my Roland FP-90 and I must say this helped quite a lot. The number of stuck notes were drastically reduced and when they were stuck they were easily reset by just re-pedaling the sustain. Before I had to send an all-notes-off message by clicking the MIDI In control at the top of the screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I am still running into this issue even after several updates of AGM, and it's making it quite unusable.
I've managed to record a midi file that leaves the E2 note hanging on the 4th string 100% of the time on my setup.
The note will keep being stuck (as if the sustain pedal is held) unless I manually press the fret release key.

Just load a fresh AGM leaving everything at default and play the midi. I am using Studio One running AGM version 3.1.0, x64 VST2 version
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi all
Have just come across this thread, and having bought 4 Ample Sound basses well after this conversation in March 2020, I'm wondering if it's any nearer solution. I have the same issue. It's identical across all four of my AS basses, but happens with no other libraries - including other instruments replaced on the same Logic track (so not a midi or track setting issue). Sustain pedal is not connected. The only other things I'd add: 1. it doesn't happen with detached, non-legato playing (i.e. not allowing one note to slightly overlap the next); 2. it only occurs when the auto-legato switch on the main guitar window is set to, I think it's 'Hammer-on and Pull-off mode' (the two solid triangles).
The AS help guys were very supportive and asked me to send a midi file to show the problem, which I did; but they reported that the issue didn't arise when they opened and played the file. And that's true, as I re-imported the same midi file myself and it plays back fine with the AS bass I used originally. To sum up: the problem happens in recording, it also happens on playback, but it doesn't happen when the session is exported as a midifile and re-imported into a new project.
If anyone happens to check this old conversation, I'd be keen to know if there have been further developments...
Nick

A problem report is meaningless unless you state: computer (PC/Mac), System version, DAW, DAW version, etc.

It's elementary…

Return to “Ample Sound”