New Drum Library

Official support for: realitone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saw your teaser for the new drum library - love your sense of humor.

I'm also impressed by your chutzpah, having the courage to throw your hat into such an overcrowded ring. You know the kneejerk consumer reaction is going to be "just what I need - yet another drum library".

I have to imagine you've got a strategy. If it's not too soon to talk about it, could you offer a clue as to what will make this one stand out from the crowd?

You're right, it's definitely a crowded field. I've taken a very different approach, though. Whether this approach resonates with people remains to be seen, but I made this library for how I prefer to work. Namely . . . fast.

First, it's a really big selection of drums. 42 different snares, 11 hihats, 7 kicks, loads of cymbals, etc. Note that these are actually different drums, not just different settings. (Usually developers mention some huge number of kits, but it's actually just a few different drums in different mix configurations.)

You choose these drums via knobs. (Or up/down switches, which is how I prefer to work.) So choosing is ultra fast, because you play one snare, nope, that ain't the one. Hit the up (next drum) switch, play that snare . . . nope, next, nope, next, nope, next, ahhh, that's the one! You can audition all 35 snares in under a minute. For me, I prefer this method, over trying to force one or two snare into sounding like what's in my head.

Also, for each drum, there are four "mix" settings. (Pre-mixed by us. These mixes are the samples.) There's close mic, Room, Rock, and Beast (ultra big.) So it's 42 snares times 4 mix settings. If none of these snares is what you're looking for, then . . . well, I'll give you your money back. Seriously.

The methodology and layout is kinda hard to explain, but this is also taylored pretty specifically for speed. For instance, you can choose drums via a main page, which is set up much like typical drum libraries (click a drum, then the selectors and knobs for that particular drum appear.) Or you can use the "Rack" page, which is like a rack of Alesis DMPro's (a drum module from back in the hardware days.) So all the kicks, snares, hats, etc. can all be selected easily and quickly on the same page. I come from the hardware days, so this is my preference, although I imagine most people will prefer the normal page.

The other big difference with RealiDrums is how we handle MIDI drum loops. Most libraries come with loops, and you select them by choosing from a massive list. Load a loop, listen to it, then load the next loop until you find one you like. Personally, I hate working that way because it can take forever. (To me, thousands of MIDI loops is a bad thing, not a good thing.) Even when you find a beat that's kinda sorta close (which can take a long time to find), then you have to still choose from nearby files trying to fine one with the changes you're hoping for.

Ours is different. First, it's right on the main page. You choose from a much more manageable (currently around 30) list of beat "styles." Then you modify the beat right on the interface with "Complexity" sliders and on/off switches. Beat too busy? Turn down (or up) the complexity slider either for the whole kit, or just for individual elements. Want a ride version instead of hihat? Turn off ride and turn on hat. Or toms. (A lot of rock songs, as well as other styles, sound pretty cool with the toms playing the rhythm instead of hihats.) Add crash on the downbeat, or have a more complex crash pattern by hitting a switch and a slider. Same if you want to add tambourine and/or cowbell. One "beat" is really thousands of beats, which you fine tune yourself. You can also drag and drop your results as MIDI files to your sequencer.

The emphasis is on getting results quickly. Although . . . I have to admit it can waste a lot of time, just because it's a lot of fun playing with it and you can get sidetracked turning a light pop beat into a metal beat into a funk beat. It's hard to describe without seeing it, but I think people are going to like it.

Who knows, though? This is new territory for me, so it's going to be very interesting to see people's reactions. I'm planning to release on Tuesday.

bbaggins wrote:Saw your teaser for the new drum library..
where?

great video
thanks

I'm really enjoying the new library; the intro video opened up a lot more possibilities than I realized it had under the hood.
It's probably in the manual, but is there a way to make the Groove Generator stop and start with the host? Possibly by keyswitches? Reason I ask is it's easier, more intuitive for me to tweak the drums in the context of the other tracks playing back. I also really like being able to adjust speed of the groove generator from half to normal to double the speed; just need to remember that you have to actually play the groove generator at the desired speed before dragging its midi into a track.

I hadn't thought of the idea of making an option for the beat to start with the Play start of a sequencer. It won't do that now, but I think I can add it in the update.

Mike Greene wrote:I hadn't thought of the idea of making an option for the beat to start with the Play start of a sequencer. It won't do that now, but I think I can add it in the update.
Thanks Mike. I think it would add a lot to/for the creative process.

Mike Greene wrote:I hadn't thought of the idea of making an option for the beat to start with the Play start of a sequencer. It won't do that now, but I think I can add it in the update.
I figured out how to do this.
Here are the steps I took in Studio One Professional version 2++, although one or two may or may not affect the outcome:

Right-click on transport/play button of groove generator.
Click learn midi cc.
Move mod wheel to assign Play button to mod wheel.
Create empty midi/piano roll track for RD (Realidrums).
Go to Modulation tab in piano roll.
Draw modulation line.
Experiment with values; at or above a certain value will activate Play; below will turn it off.
So far, I mostly start it with an On value.

Musical Gym wrote:
I figured out how to do this.
Here are the steps I took in Studio One Professional version 2++, although one or two may or may not affect the outcome:

Right-click on transport/play button of groove generator.
Click learn midi cc.
Move mod wheel to assign Play button to mod wheel.
Create empty midi/piano roll track for RD (Realidrums).
Go to Modulation tab in piano roll.
Draw modulation line.
Experiment with values; at or above a certain value will activate Play; below will turn it off.
So far, I mostly start it with an On value.
Yep, that should work. Thanks for posting it! 8)

my pleasure

Return to “Realitone”