Any Plans for a Male Singer with Blue Capabilities?

Official support for: realitone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any plans for a male voice?

I would also like a female/male gospel/soul voice for solo and choir.

Keep up the great work!
Last edited by Musical Gym on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We're definitely going to release a male version with Blue capabilities. I'm hoping to release at the NAMM show in late January, although that might be tough.

R&B/Gospel/Soul is tricky. I had an R&B singer record some Realivox test sets, and the interesting thing was that when he sang long straight notes (which we need as building blocks,) he sounded like a classical singer instead of an R&B singer. Injecting soul into straight notes will be a challenge.

Glad you're working on a male.

For gospel, I wonder if you look at voice quality (speaking voice first) rather than singing technique, whether that would make any difference/sense. Say you find the next Lou Rawls or Nat King Cole or Aretha and had them sing straight notes...Couln't you inject the extra soul later with expression controls?

I have a rock male singer who has been a similar challenge. Any time a singer sings straight notes (for sampling purposes,) they lose some of the soul or rock edge or country twang. (By the way, "Patty" from the Ladies is a country singer in real life, yet once she was sampled, the "country" went away):
http://soundcloud.com/realitone/desert-wail

Anyway, with the rock singer, there's still some "rock" to his voice even when recording straight notes. That's the key, in that only some singers still maintain their style when sampled. So in his case, I got lucky. (Well, not "lucky" so much as I auditioned dozens of singers to see who still sounded good after test sampling.)

Then, as you suggested, I'm hoping the rest of the "rock" can be achieved with expression controls, which I still need to figure out how to make both effective and intuitive. And later hopefully achieve good results with soul voices.

I don't know if you've used Vocaloid but it has a bunch of expression controls that can be modified by drawing shapes, etc. in a track.

I don't know how Kontakt could achieve similar results. Zero-G has three vocaloids on sale for $50 each if you are inclined to check one out. Might spark some ideas; I imagine you may have toyed with them already...

I do have a few Vocaloids, although I haven't used them in a while. I could be wrong, but I don't think their expression controls were anything beyond what Blue can do? For example, with Vocaloid, you have to draw in vibrato, since you can't use a mod wheel with Vocaloid (since you don't play it in realtime.) Volume expression is the same, where a CC controller won't work in Vocaloid, so they have you enter expression on the screen instead. With Blue, you just ride your CC controller.

But admittedly, it's been a while since I played with Vocaloid, so if there's something Vocaloid does that Blue does not, please do let me know.

I'm pretty new to vocaloid, so at this point can't shed too much light on the expression stuff, just learning to make adjustments.
I believe vocaloid 2 has a couple of flavors of vsti which can possibly be manipulated in real-time and/or with keyboard; I don't have much experience with them, though, except for getting one or both to load in host; I think I may have had to use 32bit host to do it; I haven't heard of a vsti for V3, so maybe they decided to retire the vsti version(s).
Vielklang 2 can do an impressive amount of after-the-fact expression..

Return to “Realitone”