the Fre(a)koscope: FEATURE REQUEST here

Official support for: smartelectronix.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few more ideas:

It would be really nice to have the option to launch both your plugin and Bram's at the same time.

It would also be very cool, if you could somehow freeze both plugin displays at the same exact time.

Maybe if both of you offered a special "freeze trigger" input which would freeze the display if a pulse was sent to this special input. Both you and Bram would need to add this feature, if we hoped to be able to synchronize the freezing of both displays.

An external trigger input, sort of like Bram's modular oscilloscope offers, would be a nice additional feature. The spectrum display would activate only when a pulse was sent to this input. You could also offer two modes, Snapshot and Continuous. Snapshot would simply grab the current spectrum and freeze the display immediately. Continuous would respond to the input trigger, by continuously updating the spectrum display as long as the trigger signal was above the required threshold.

take care,
McLilith

DarkStar wrote:mdsp, this looks good and useful.

But, why the installer?, can we please have a "plain" dll version?
sure you can have a plain dll,
I just thought an installer would please lazy people (like me), but I can provide both.

I already provide both a vst bundle and an installable package for macosx.

McLilith wrote:A few more ideas:

It would be really nice to have the option to launch both your plugin and Bram's at the same time.

It would also be very cool, if you could somehow freeze both plugin displays at the same exact time.

Maybe if both of you offered a special "freeze trigger" input which would freeze the display if a pulse was sent to this special input. Both you and Bram would need to add this feature, if we hoped to be able to synchronize the freezing of both displays.

An external trigger input, sort of like Bram's modular oscilloscope offers, would be a nice additional feature. The spectrum display would activate only when a pulse was sent to this input. You could also offer two modes, Snapshot and Continuous. Snapshot would simply grab the current spectrum and freeze the display immediately. Continuous would respond to the input trigger, by continuously updating the spectrum display as long as the trigger signal was above the required threshold.

take care,
McLilith
ok that's a lot of things you're asking for.
I'll see what I can do.

cheers

rémy

mdsp wrote:ok that's a lot of things you're asking for.
I'll see what I can do.

cheers

rémy
:oops: Sorry, I didn't mean to overwhelm you with requests. I just wanted to give you few ideas to consider. :oops:

I think this is a great plugin already. It's just the nature of a tech, to want to design more features. I've been a user of hardware test equipment for several years. The prospect of having good test equipment inside the VST environment is exciting. :)

Thank you for creating this plugin. It's already a very handy addition to my VST toolkit, as is Bram's oscilloscope plugin.

take care,
McLilith

no matter, It's just that I have to make choices because my time isn't infinite.

anyway I launched this thread to have suggestions and yours are cool and your not the only one who has asked for it. I just have to schedule them...

cheers

rémy

mdsp wrote:
DarkStar wrote:mdsp, this looks good and useful.

But, why the installer?, can we please have a "plain" dll version?
sure you can have a plain dll,
I just thought an installer would please lazy people (like me), but I can provide both.

I already provide both a vst bundle and an installable package for macosx.
many thanks, :) With installers I always like to know what is going to happen to my PC before I run them.

On the Mac version, on the button that's labeled "dynamic" in the pics, it says peak hold instead. Also, the button that is labled "window" in the pics doesn't have any label at all.

Just a few minor gripes.

Is there any hope of an AU version for those of us stuck on Logic??? :help: :help: :help:
I could really use a high resolution spectrum display for measuring distortion and harmonic content of the analog gear I design.....

This plugin rules the school. the semitone feature?!>! rawsome.

I can't figure out what the on/off button to the left of 'freeze' does. can some one tell me?

I feel totally out of my depth with all this maths going on, especially when all I'm going to ask for is to be able to change the colours.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced some display problems with this excellent plug? Soon as I load up it works but the display flickers constantly..

For amplitude (plain waveform) you should use 20log10() definition. If you have intensities (other than amplitude) somewhere you may calculate the dB value with 10log10() definition. You should get the same dB value regardless of the equation, but you should be careful with the input.

If you mean that N is the size of the vector for which the FFT is calculated, you should divide the amplitude spectrum (absolute value of FFT) by N and not sqrt(N). This is when the FFT equation is expressed as follows:

N
X(k) = sum x(n)*exp(-j*2*pi*(k-1)*(n-1)/N), 1 <= k <= N.
n=1

With these you will get absolute values for the spectrum if I understood you right..

A GREAT plugin!!! something I've looked after.

Exelent plugin, love it. The refresh latency of 10ms is awesome and the logarithmic mode is a must. The only sugestion for improvement:
Try making the peakhold more visible than the realtime spectar so that it isn't so hard on the eyes to look at that that 10ms ultra-fast (as it should be) meter, or perhaps simply do a kind of interpolation betwen images so that even at lower latency metering it still doesn't have that sluggish feeling (perhaps the meters should "slide" between locations instead of.... well... you get the idea). That and peak hold time selection should really make it the best free spectrometer on the net.
Cheers mate and thanks again for a great plugin!
My SoundCloud
DAW: Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, GTX1070TI 8GB, Scarlett 2i2
Software: Win10, Cubase 10, Bitwig - Monitoring: Kali audio IN-8

One request. Can you move the logo off the display? It's blocking the information you are trying to provide. Leave the display as just that - a display of information not a billboard.

Please? It's the only flaw in a great product.

since there are different frequencies hitting in different times, would it be possible to show all of the frequencies the waveform hit once the waveform is done playing? It would be a collective of all the freqs hit & would be great for analyzation. Also maybe someday a .txt export? :) I love it for mastering BTW. :)
--_ yup.... _--

Return to “Smart Electronix”