M4L device Modulat by Chaos Culture, gives ableton modular capabilities. Heres a demo of the latest module updates

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This device looks really cool in the videos but I really don't see much talk about it on any forum, even their own Facebook page. No demo available to see if it's truly worthy either.

zoidkirb wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:45 pm This device looks really cool in the videos but I really don't see much talk about it on any forum, even their own Facebook page. No demo available to see if it's truly worthy either.
Its only relatively recent that its been renamed as Modulat. It was previously called Signal.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

it's an excellent and extensive set of tools. works great. no issues here and they steadily add modules and do videos. if you're into patching stuff and like modular environments it's a big win.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:09 pm
zoidkirb wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:45 pm This device looks really cool in the videos but I really don't see much talk about it on any forum, even their own Facebook page. No demo available to see if it's truly worthy either.
Its only relatively recent that its been renamed as Modulat. It was previously called Signal.
Cool, I like that name better but I still don't see a lot of buzz for something that seems so game changing. Is this I'm definitely leaning towards picking this up eventually still. Probably I've demoed bitwig 3 and it's grid.

zoidkirb wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 pm
Cool, I like that name better but I still don't see a lot of buzz for something that seems so game changing. Is this I'm definitely leaning towards picking this up eventually still. Probably I've demoed bitwig 3 and it's grid.
man thats why i came here to post it. People need to know about it. Its the kind of thing you want to share with everyone. I was considering going bitwig after the grid. This made me want to stick with live. It was $80 and its well worth the pay. I find it much more valuable than almost any $200 synth. It makes ableton and everything else inside of it that much more .

CharlieCrizzle wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:07 am
zoidkirb wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 pm
man thats why i came here to post it. People need to know about it. Its the kind of thing you want to share with everyone. I was considering going bitwig after the grid. This made me want to stick with live. It was $80 and its well worth the pay. I find it much more valuable than almost any $200 synth. It makes ableton and everything else inside of it that much more .
Yeah I agree, personally anyway good sound design comes from powerful modulation. A rack full of operators , ,wavetables , simplers being driven by modulat modules would save the need to buy a synth ever again. That's my theory anyway. I'm already doing similar stuff over in Reason but the workflow there is starting to slow me down. I will see how I'm feeling after black Friday and if I can resist other sales then I'll be picking up Modulat.

MODULAT is now in sale; 50%, with code; BLACK50 (not all products that isotonik 'serves' have this discount... most are 25% in sale now).

Thanks @WasteLand :)

hè hè @thecontrolcentre, finally Modulat is at a price that is great, i already bought K-Devices Modular 21, but Modulat will give a lot, in a way an overlap? no not really, but i seem to have more and more need of modulation sources for ableton, automation gives also a lot, but this, well it has a truly modular nature. with all the detailed settings.

so, finally i can buy it, wasn't on my list. but o well, Plasmonic seems not to go on BF, and i acquired sonicLAB Thermo, well... in ableton, strangely, i do more experimental stuff than in bitwig, which is strange, because sounddesigners would choose bitwig..
it are the M4L possibilities, the third party, and built in stuff, especially the spectral M4L devices, and others, that give live 11 suite, that on its own is very capable, a very experimental playground.

it can also be that i more used to ableton (i have more DAW's, the most used one is Cubase Pro, but i use them all), and that bitwig, well, it has so much in it.. perhaps at a later moment, in another discussion; you can rediscover stuff you have, in new way.

and i have experimental projects in bitwig, strangely, that are also great.

well no prob, use them all...

TL;DR

Modulat, Isotonik Studios, 50%, for EU it means €51,39...

Not to shit on everyones parade, but it seems like none of you have actually opened up the Max editor and taken a good look inside. If you did, you would understand that Modulat isn't "game changing" or anything "people need to know about", and comparing Max/MSP to the Grid is just silly.

Max/MSP has it's own modular-like library built in (BEAP) if you like that kind of stuff, but even the power of all M4L devices combined, are just scratching the surface of what Max/MSP can do. Modulat is just a GUI to a sub-set of Max/MSP features, nothing more.

I do understand learning Max/MSP is not for everyone, but the power Ableton are giving users of M4L is nothing less of astonishing - if you have the time to learn how to use it.

bronlund wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:59 pm Not to shit on everyones parade, but it seems like none of you have actually opened up the Max editor and taken a good look inside. If you did, you would understand...
Dunning Kruger incarnate.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

bronlund wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:59 pm Not to shit on everyones parade, but it seems like none of you have actually opened up the Max editor and taken a good look inside. If you did, you would understand that Modulat isn't "game changing" or anything "people need to know about", and comparing Max/MSP to the Grid is just silly.
I don't think anyone here has compared Max/MSP to Bitwig's Grid. It's pretty clear, that Max/MSP is the core of all these M4L devices.

Had made several attempts to learn Max/MSP. For me it's too time consuming and frustrating. With Reaktor or VCV Rack I get much faster and more satisfying results.

Some Max patching by Ned Rush, with a good portion of trial and error....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BhH8BKY-5E

I'll offset this drive-by troll necro bump by noting that actually Modulat is very good. It's one of the few Live devices I've bought that's worth the cost.

Also, my free Live pro tip for the day is to block & ignore anyone who tells you to learn max/msp instead of using Live devices. Life's too short for that shit.

Smapti wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:42 pm I'll offset this drive-by troll necro bump by noting that actually Modulat is very good. It's one of the few Live devices I've bought that's worth the cost.

Also, my free Live pro tip for the day is to block & ignore anyone who tells you to learn max/msp instead of using Live devices. Life's too short for that shit.
it really doesn't take so long to learn a handful of things to make a few devices for specific things. not everyone is going to go all in and code in Gen and learn it inside and out while developing their own filter coefficients or whatever.. there's plenty you can do in max/msp that is really fun and useful and cool. there's a million good tutorials on youtube and musichackspace.

that being said i have a ton of M4L devices that i love and use all the time. worth mentioning you can drag and drop max for live devices into a max patch and make your own modular whatever thing w/plug ins and max things and jam and record etc. it's not that big of a deal to get somewhere doing this kind of thing.

+1 on Modulat. it's awesome and fast and really useful.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”