Bitwig The Grid: It is just me...

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ho66it wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am Not having Bitwig I am posing a question to those who do - can one route audio from hosted plugins, external audio, etc. to the Grid?
Yes, just put a grid fx after the VST in the rack. You can also put it before the VST as a sequencer/arm/modulator
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:35 amYou can also put it before the VST as a sequencer/arm/modulator
I'm pretty sure Grid still doesn't output MIDI, or have I missed some upgrade?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ho66it wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am Not having Bitwig I am posing a question to those who do - can one route audio from hosted plugins, external audio, etc. to the Grid?
I think there are currently work arounds to this. search youtube tutorials. In the future it probably will get an update Bitwig can nearly do anything you can imagine if you work at it

I've been using this and that over the last decades, and yes I agree this is the most comfortable realisation of a modular system that I have seen. I love that is natively stereo and polyphonic. I like the oscillators, but I would enjoy more quirky analog modeled filter options, I still prefer my analog filters to these. Then again, the workflow is so much fun, that I haven't touched my hw modular in ages :p

I hope they add a MIDI out for it soon.

Taika-Kim wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:30 am I've been using this and that over the last decades, and yes I agree this is the most comfortable realisation of a modular system that I have seen. I love that is natively stereo and polyphonic. I like the oscillators, but I would enjoy more quirky analog modeled filter options, I still prefer my analog filters to these. Then again, the workflow is so much fun, that I haven't touched my hw modular in ages :p

I hope they add a MIDI out for it soon.
I wouldn't call it quirky... but the new XP grid filter is a fine addition to the Grid

I so many times wish I could turn my Grid object into a VSTi and I could use it in other programs and settings. Kind of how Reason has done. I think the Grid is just the best thing too experiment and learn from.

I have recreated favorite patches in Zebra 2 in the Grid to understand how it all works. It is a great tool to break things down to just learn.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

LarsDaniel wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:57 am ...or does The Grid have the fastest, coolest modular user experience ever?
I personally could care less about all of that, but....and this is a big but... you're not the only one that I've heard say that, and it makes me happy when I hear others enjoying something that I don't, because it one of those rare things in the world where it's not them, it's me. It's usually the other way around, so these rare cases add a nice twist to life for me. Even a co-worker of mine would beat on about it, which really drove it home, so it's not just you. Lot's of people out there really dig The Grid.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:08 am it makes me happy when I hear others enjoying something that I don't, because it one of those rare things in the world where it's not them, it's me.
And that quote makes me happy. :tu:

Too many people in this world (and often on this forum) won't admit that their own dislike or disinterest in something doesn't mean it's a bad thing and that other people are stupid or wrong for liking it.

mtelesha wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 am I so many times wish I could turn my Grid object into a VSTi and I could use it in other programs and settings. Kind of how Reason has done. I think the Grid is just the best thing too experiment and learn from.
I have never tried this, but could you use jack audio (https://jackaudio.org/) as this is supposed to be the Bitwig equivalent of 'rewire' I think. You can also have Bigwig as a midi slave with another DAW so could record the midi and have it sync and out put with JACK to another DAW?

https://youtu.be/GRvAO7Z0_Jk
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I second the workflow on Voltage Modular, clean and its dope!

rmelhem wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:14 pm I second the workflow on Voltage Modular, clean and its dope!
Still an archaic hardware representation that is clumsy compared to Bitwig.

SLiC wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm
mtelesha wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 am I so many times wish I could turn my Grid object into a VSTi and I could use it in other programs and settings. Kind of how Reason has done. I think the Grid is just the best thing too experiment and learn from.
I have never tried this, but could you use jack audio (https://jackaudio.org/) as this is supposed to be the Bitwig equivalent of 'rewire' I think. You can also have Bigwig as a midi slave with another DAW so could record the midi and have it sync and out put with JACK to another DAW?

https://youtu.be/GRvAO7Z0_Jk
Jack in theory lets you create Virtual Audio Ports, and Virtual Midi Ports.
In practice, on Windows and Mac Jack only works for Audio.
If you are on Mac use IAC driver for Virtual Midi; if you are on Windows you can try LoopMidi which works like a charm https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Here you can find a more detailed explanation on how to set this up.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-66 ... highlight=

The Grid is truly awesome, superb workflow and accessible. It does need some new module types though that I want from hardware.

antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 am
SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:35 amYou can also put it before the VST as a sequencer/arm/modulator
Is this true? I was looking at switching to bitwig specifically for the grid but this would be a dealbreaker for me - I want the modular sequencing environment but soundwise I like my current VSTs.

MitchK1989 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 am
Is this true? I was looking at switching to bitwig specifically for the grid but this would be a dealbreaker for me - I want the modular sequencing environment but soundwise I like my current VSTs.
Yes, that is true. There is not yet a Midi Grid device.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”