Bitwig The Grid: It is just me...

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...or does The Grid have the fastest, coolest modular user experience ever?

Ok, I have been using Reaktor Blocks for a while, and being quite happy, but now after having tried the Bitwig Grid, I am rather blown away by how easy it is to cook up some sounds.
For starters: How sweet it is to drop a filter on an osc output, and they are instantly connected. And if it was not the filter you wanted, you just drop a new one on top without missing a beat.
But the really, really awesome: The modulation system: Click on an output, and turn any knob in the whole setup.
And everything visually animated. Like Everything.

And yes, one can say many things against it. Like, not so many modules, closed system, lack of pactchcords hanging, lack of oldskool modular aesthetics. But that is not the point here. I am just thinking, when it comes to making modular synthesis in software, this seems like quite a quantum leap forward. At least when it comes to how fast it is to use. And no, speed is not always good, but speed also does something to the fun factor.

I absolutely love The Grid. It is easy to use and even as beginner when it comes to synth I picked it up fast and learned a lot along the way. What is amazing about it, is that you can just drop a sample in there, pass it through as many oscillators you want, add a filter you also created in The Grid and there you go, having an amazing and unique instrument that all based on your kitten meowing (Yes, I had to try!).

The Grid is one of the best features for me, as I am really in yo experimenting with new sounds!

I use it integrated with my Eurorack hardware, with Expert Sleepers ES-3/ES-6.

I think it could use a little more UI refinement here and there to save clicks and workarounds, but it's 95% fantastic. :D

Yes, it is simply amazing....so much innovation and such a refined workflow for a something so new.

It was also incredibly complete and bug free for a massive new feature....something almost unheard of- Coming from 'another DAW' I was used to waiting several paid updates for a new feature to actually work as advertised!

The Grid may not be for everyone, but it was a superb release. :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

And then such "small details" like: It is polyphonic if you want it to. It is stereo. Like, every single place that can be stereo is in stereo. Like every osc, lfo, filter etc looks like normal mono modules, but has stereo offset available. Pretty damn awesome. :tu:

Yep, amazing design. Just wish the oscillators didn't sound like plastic toy oscillators. A more analog sound like Reaktor blocks oscs would be cool.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:19 pm Yep, amazing design. Just wish the oscillators didn't sound like plastic toy oscillators. A more analog sound like Reaktor blocks oscs would be cool.
This!

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:19 pm Yep, amazing design. Just wish the oscillators didn't sound like plastic toy oscillators. A more analog sound like Reaktor blocks oscs would be cool.
They are saving that for the suite version with a range of filters and oscillators from UHE :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hands down best modular workflow ever... everything else is clunky by comparison.

The osc’s don’t sound bad to me... just kinda vanilla.

On the other hand, I can get 24 voice polyphony (stereo) with the Grid and sometimes a single Reaktor Blocks voice can max my CPU.

But yeah... Blocks has a more characterful and ‘analog’ sound.

The workflow is fantastic, I just have so many great synths it’s hard to find time to lose in the grid.. my problem is it’s too much fun as a time sink and I have to stay away :) also +1 on the sound. It may just be my lack of programming abilities but there are other soft synthesizers that sound absolutely cutting edge to my ears and I can’t get that out of Bitwig synths.

But even if one for some of the above reasons chooses not to use The Grid, then I think Bitwig has shown the world, that it does not have to be so clumsy to use a virtual modular. User friendliness and workflow is FAR above other modulars, so I hope that in the long run, Bitwig will have paved the way for better modulars. They are simply showing it should be done.

Not having Bitwig I am posing a question to those who do - can one route audio from hosted plugins, external audio, etc. to the Grid?

ho66it wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am Not having Bitwig I am posing a question to those who do - can one route audio from hosted plugins, external audio, etc. to the Grid?
You can't inject sound of VST or audio track INTO the middle of Grid patch (I believe, there might be some trick though), but obviously you can jus put FX Grid device after the VST / in the signal path of audio track. PolyGrid and FX Grid are just devices like any other and can be placed anywhere in the chain, nested, layered, etc.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

LarsDaniel wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:57 am...lack of pactchcords hanging, lack of oldskool modular aesthetics...
Not to take anything from The Grid - which is awesome!!! - but I think also Voltage Modular brough a lot of fresh ideas regarding the workflow.

AND it has hanging cables ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Modular Synthesis”