VCV MI Clouds vs Softube MI Clouds vs Hardware Clouds

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lnikj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 am The road to divorce and financial ruin opens up ....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well:
a) VSTs are invisible so I'm safe so far;
b) Hardware modules are very small so I can say they're only £50 or so.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

partners are over rated.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 am
lnikj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 am The road to divorce and financial ruin opens up ....

Well:
a) VSTs are invisible so I'm safe so far;
b) Hardware modules are very small so I can say they're only £50 or so.
:lol: Are you sure you didn't slip up once in the past and say "Yeah, this bit of software cost X but it's OK, if I was into hardware then it would have cost Y (= 10 * X)." ?

Mine would not tolerate the cables. Too messy. She would unplug them and line them up in order of colour every night before she went to bed.

lnikj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 am :lol: Are you sure you didn't slip up once in the past and say "Yeah, this bit of software cost X but it's OK, if I was into hardware then it would have cost Y (= 10 * X)." ?
I did actually. A couple years back I went a bit crazy on Black Friday and super excited I turned around and mentioned "woohoo! I just bought all this software for £XX." The response was " :shock: How much is that sh!t normally then?!"
lnikj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 am Mine would not tolerate the cables. Too messy. She would unplug them and line them in order of colour every night before she went to bed.
There goes your patch storage. Maybe if you bought the cables all in the same colour there would be (slightly) less incentive.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:43 am
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am Go VCV - it has all the firmware's and its free! What's not to like?

https://vcvrack.com/AudibleInstruments.html
The lack (ATM) of VST support. Yes, there is a workaround but it is a bit of a faff. More so than simply dropping in a plugin.
It currently has supurb VST hosting support (VCV Host 1.0 will also support polyphonic CV, gate, velocity, and aftertouch, MPE etc)

Obviusly the big selling point of V1 (due any time now!) is that it can also be run as a VST plug in so this wont be an issue anymore (I cant find any need to do that myself, to me its like running a DAW in a DAW - I have 500hp or non-virtual eurorack that seems to work quite well without a DAW- thats why I love it!)

FYI- have you seen this for a paradym shift- Real Eurorack modules that control VCV Rack!

https://www.gearnews.com/midilar-modula ... -eurorack/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's starting. This ^ is what happens next :)

You've bought Clouds, then you want an ES-3 or an ES-8 so VCV or Bitwig or whatever can talk to your Clouds, then you put them in a case, then that case looks awfully empty, then .... doomed :lol: :lol:

You could get a clone, a small 4ms case with power for around $300 new actually. If the clone is accurate
it supports line level out, so you wouldn't need anything else.

pekbro wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 pm You could get a clone, a small 4ms case with power for around $300 new actually. If the clone is accurate
Where's the fun in that? :D

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am It currently has supurb VST hosting support (VCV Host 1.0 will also support polyphonic CV, gate, velocity, and aftertouch, MPE etc)
Yes, but I want it the other way around. I don't really have a use for VCV rack as the host.
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 amObviusly the big selling point of V1 (due any time now!) is that it can also be run as a VST plug in so this wont be an issue anymore (I cant find any need to do that myself, to me its like running a DAW in a DAW - I have 500hp or non-virtual eurorack that seems to work quite well without a DAW- thats why I love it!)
I am aware this is imminent but I do need a solution now for a current project. Don't get me wrong I love VCV, but in terms of ease of use (for my application) Softube is miles ahead (currently).

Re a DAW within a DAW: I don't agree. I use many synths with internal sequencers in my DAW currently so I don't see a difference. Besides my current application requires only Clouds as a reverb unit.
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am FYI- have you seen this for a paradym shift- Real Eurorack modules that control VCV Rack!

Great invention and technology but if you already have the skiff just fill it with hardware :shrug: If you want a controller just use one of the other thousand already out there. YMMV obviously.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnikj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:05 pm It's starting. This ^ is what happens next :)

You've bought Clouds, then you want an ES-3 or an ES-8 so VCV or Bitwig or whatever can talk to your Clouds, then you put them in a case, then that case looks awfully empty, then .... doomed :lol: :lol:
I am already peering into that rabbit hole yes ;)

pekbro wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 pm You could get a clone, a small 4ms case with power for around $300 new actually. If the clone is accurate
As mentioned above I already have my next units lined up so sadly I am doomed and a small case will simply be false economy.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm
As mentioned above I already have my next units lined up so sadly I am doomed and a small case will simply be false economy.
Heh, it's not so bad :) *The whole Eurorack thing...

max for live versions:
http://www.timorozendal.nl/?cat=11

dave

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:08 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am It currently has supurb VST hosting support (VCV Host 1.0 will also support polyphonic CV, gate, velocity, and aftertouch, MPE etc)
Yes, but I want it the other way around. I don't really have a use for VCV rack as the host.
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 amObviusly the big selling point of V1 (due any time now!) is that it can also be run as a VST plug in so this wont be an issue anymore (I cant find any need to do that myself, to me its like running a DAW in a DAW - I have 500hp or non-virtual eurorack that seems to work quite well without a DAW- thats why I love it!)
I am aware this is imminent but I do need a solution now for a current project. Don't get me wrong I love VCV, but in terms of ease of use (for my application) Softube is miles ahead (currently).

Re a DAW within a DAW: I don't agree. I use many synths with internal sequencers in my DAW currently so I don't see a difference. Besides my current application requires only Clouds as a reverb unit.
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:59 am FYI- have you seen this for a paradym shift- Real Eurorack modules that control VCV Rack!

Great invention and technology but if you already have the skiff just fill it with hardware :shrug: If you want a controller just use one of the other thousand already out there. YMMV obviously.
If you want clouds in a DAW you could just go for this - https://www.audiority.com/shop/grainspace/
Sounds as good as clouds to me (I have the hardware) and in many ways is better!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 pm If you want clouds in a DAW you could just go for this - https://www.audiority.com/shop/grainspace/
Sounds as good as clouds to me (I have the hardware) and in many ways is better!
Thanks for that, I'll check it out :tu:

Return to “Modular Synthesis”