vcv and voltage differences?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm comparing the two at the moment.

vcv can't be loaded as a VST in a host and they have different modules of course. But otherwise they look pretty similar and can scale well. You even need a user account for both. Is there a conceptual or big technical difference I miss (beside the open source core in vcv)?

As I only scratch the surface, which one sounds better or are they almost equal?

Conceptual:

I would say that VCV was conceived at the outset as a standalone environment whereas VM was conceived, much like Softube Modular, as supplying voices in a DAW. Of course, either can be used standalone (I use VM standalone); at the moment VM is better than VCV for DAW use (a pukka VCV VST will arrive later this year).

Technical:

VCV was released (as beta) earlier than VM but VM has beaten VCV to release on certain things such as multicore support and polyphony. VCV will have both of those with the imminent v1 release and the solutions are more elegant (controllable CPU and GPU usage; polyphony does not require additional polyphonic modules & different jacks but internal code tweaks to existing ones).

There is a shortage of CV controls on many modules in VM, especially early Cherry Audio ones and the PSP ones.

Sound:

Debatable. Arguably the highest quality DSP on either are the third party Vult modules, which are internally oversampled where necessary. They are available on both platforms (more of them on VCV).

Other:

There are vastly more modules available for VCV (and for free). If you are interested in Eurorack clones then VCV trumps VM.

One of the strongest features of VCV is the huge and very supportive user community (see the FB group and forum), and the vast number of patches (see patchstorage) and tutorials available. Modular concepts are generic though and the techniques in many VCV tutorials can be easily applied in VM.

All that said, if in doubt, use both. I do :) I really like the Super Oscillator and LFO in VM, the Octagon sequencer and the AU support in their host module. The more thriving virtual modulars there are the better IMO.

For a module developer, the biggest difference is the programming language (Java vs C++). Also, I think Voltage Modular’s development environment is more integrated (with a built-in interface designer) and out-of-the-box.

I’m glad I stumbled onto this post. I was about to buy Softube Modular because I need Mutable Clouds as a plug-in. However maybe I should hold out if a VCV VST is coming.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hi Mushy.
In VCV clouds is called texture synth... " Audible Instruments is an authorized VCV Rack port of Mutable Instruments Eurorack modules."
The thing is VCV is not VST at the moment...
However... there is this port that is a VST
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=507216

Works well for me.

toonertik wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 am Hi Mushy.
In VCV clouds is called texture synth... " Audible Instruments is an authorized VCV Rack port of Mutable Instruments Eurorack modules."

Works well for me.
Hi, thanks for this.

I am aware of the port and perhaps I’m just being lazy but it’s a bit of a faff compared to simply dropping in a VST. I was hoping the Softube one to be more CPU friendly and more straighforward to use. I’ll give it a demo and see.

The other option is to set up a new PC dedicated purely to VCV rack. Hmmmmm, that could be an option.

The words “Softube” and “CPU friendly” don’t compute where Modular is concerned :).

An IOS port of Mutable Instruments is imminent and there is a M4L port of Clouds (http://www.timorozendal.nl/?p=535).

lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am The words “Softube” and “CPU friendly” don’t compute where Modular is concerned :).

An IOS port of Mutable Instruments is imminent and there is a M4L port of Clouds (http://www.timorozendal.nl/?p=535).
I wasn’t aware. Thanks.
Need to demo it I guess.

The M4L Clouds could be a winner though :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 am The M4L Clouds could be a winner though :tu:
It's a bit flakey. YMMV. Good luck !

lnikj wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 am The M4L Clouds could be a winner though :tu:
It's a bit flakey. YMMV. Good luck !
Ok, thanks. My only other concern is that it’s no longer modular (obviously).

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 am
toonertik wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 am Hi Mushy.

Works well for me.
Hi, thanks for this.

I am aware of the port and perhaps I’m just being lazy but it’s a bit of a faff compared to simply dropping in a VST. I was hoping the Softube one to be more CPU friendly and more straighforward to use. I’ll give it a demo and see.

The other option is to set up a new PC dedicated purely to VCV rack. Hmmmmm, that could be an option.
or get a nice empty real life rack and join us on the dark side :)

^ Definitely imminent. Planning to start in July.

Clouds*, Levels, Marbles will be first.

* May cause an issue with it being discontinued and I am picky. I want the original silver edition and not the black open source remakes.

they come up for sale quite often if you're ok paying
im waiting on the new version, discontinued it while i was getting around to it.

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 pm they come up for sale quite often if you're ok paying
im waiting on the new version, discontinued it while i was getting around to it.
New version?

Need to Google it seems.

well it's not available yet.
but you dont discontinue your moneymaker without an update in the future ;)

it was mentioned somewhere, just no details yet.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”