Issues with Newscool (NI) within Komplete Control/Bitwig [SOLVED]

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to use the `newscool.ens` Reaktor ensemble within Komplete Kontrol running as a VST within Bitwig 3.0. The problem is that with this setup, there seems to be no way of getting the sequence to run other than feeding it a series of MIDI A2 notes (and MIDI E1 to reset). This is how the device looks in this setup...

If, however, I run the `newscool.ens` ensemble within the full Reaktor 6 app, I can play the sequence by pressing the > button, and without faffing around with MIDI. This is how it looks in standalone more...

As I explained bere, I can at least get output within Bitwig, but there surely must be an easier way to achieve this. Any clues, anyone?
Last edited by carlca on Sun May 12, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

I guess the trick would be, in the first case, to switch it out of MIDI control mode, but so far, I haven't found a way to do this.

Have you tried going into the full edit mode of reaktor within komplete kontrol? You will have all the same controls then.

Thanks for the reply. I've managed to get it into edit mode but I still don't have the same ► button that I do in stand-alone mode.

I just opened Newscool both standalone and in KK and actually the behavior and look was exactly the same. It played automatically in sync when I started Bitwig. I didn't even see the play button. So I'm not sure what to say.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:18 pm I just opened Newscool both standalone and in KK and actually the behavior and look was exactly the same. It played automatically in sync when I started Bitwig. I didn't even see the play button. So I'm not sure what to say.
That is strange. Yet, as you can see in the images I posted, on my system (macOS 10.14.4) the ► is present in standalone mode but not within KK/BWS. I've posted some tweets to @ni_news and @komplete so I'll see if anyone responds on Monday. I'll keep you posted.

One question, though, when you say "It played automatically in sync when I started Bitwig", are you supplying any MIDI notes from Bitwig, or is the Newscool playing in a self-contained capacity?

There is no play button in Reaktor as a plugin. I'm not sure what problem that you're trying to express, but, you play Reaktor sequencers inside a plugin by starting the host. There are some exceptions to this when the sequencer implements its own clock and internal transport control, but in any case, this isn't unique to bitwig.

yeah the play button starts the reaktor engine in standalone.

in plug in mode the host initiates it.

Thanks for the replies, folks! I did what I normally do when faced with these puzzles; I had a break and a bite to eat, and then came back to it refreshed. Spookily it worked this time. As you all correctly said, the host just needs to be playing and it will drive the plug-in. I'm *sure* I tried that before, but no doubt I was doing something daft ☺️ Thanks, everyone!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”