Let's talk reaktor 6.4

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reaktor Reaktor Player

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am I'm still surprised by how good Carbon 2 and photone sound.
It's even better when you swap the old core filters with the new zdf ones :tu:

mike daliot indeed , a true reaktor legend
Do you have ensemble with replaced filters somewhere? :)

bmanic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm Maybe Reaktor is such "old hat" that this is common knowledge, but how do the Blocks actually sound? Are there great sounding filters, oscs, effects, etc.? Does it do audio-rate modulation well? Are there polyphonic modules (or even better: a quick and easy way to make mono patches polyphonic like I was using a U-he synth and just flipped the setting)?

I checked out Voltage Modular but didn't like the sound of the base package or its graphics, so passed. Righ now, I'm just waiting for VCV Rack to officially go VST (using VeeSeeVST ATM), but maybe I should be looking at Reaktor. So does it sound great? I love Monark, so if we're in that ballpark, that's a great place to be. How's the workflow?
In terms of sound output, in my opinion it sounds way better than Voltage Modular (never liked VM's sound at all.. it's strangely weak and tinny in my opinion). It's also super easy to oversample but will absolutely kill most machines with larger patches.. still it sounds wicked good.
Yeah, I was hearing the same thing with VM. Particularly the stock modules. Good to know Reaktor sounds better. Will definitely check it out.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm Maybe Reaktor is such "old hat" that this is common knowledge, but how do the Blocks actually sound? Are there great sounding filters, oscs, effects, etc.? Does it do audio-rate modulation well? Are there polyphonic modules (or even better: a quick and easy way to make mono patches polyphonic like I was using a U-he synth and just flipped the setting)?

I checked out Voltage Modular but didn't like the sound of the base package or its graphics, so passed. Righ now, I'm just waiting for VCV Rack to officially go VST (using VeeSeeVST ATM), but maybe I should be looking at Reaktor. So does it sound great? I love Monark, so if we're in that ballpark, that's a great place to be. How's the workflow?
In terms of sound output, in my opinion it sounds way better than Voltage Modular (never liked VM's sound at all.. it's strangely weak and tinny in my opinion). It's also super easy to oversample but will absolutely kill most machines with larger patches.. still it sounds wicked good.
Yeah, I was hearing the same thing with VM. Particularly the stock modules. Good to know Reaktor sounds better. Will definitely check it out.
VM doesn't sound worse. It is sound different, more digital, but you can make great sounds from that and workflow is second to none.

I have Audulus, and while that sounds digital, it's very configurable and you can build at a pretty low level like Reaktor. There are some issues with the AU version, but those are being addressed for the coming version 4.0
Sweet child in time...

Reaktor is much more low level then audulus
Most don't realise , but reaktor core only has 38 modules, from which all the (core ) macro's are made .
All primary modules ( the black boxes that are hardcoded ) have been re-build with core , except for the gui modules and the amazing sine/modal bank
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Stan Navi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:03 pm VM doesn't sound worse. It is sound different, more digital, but you can make great sounds from that and workflow is second to none.
Lets just agree to disagree. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Stan Navi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:03 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 pm

VM doesn't sound worse. It is sound different, more digital, but you can make great sounds from that and workflow is second to none.
VM hasn't that powerfull sound. i like VM, the sound quality of softube modular is excellent, but i must agree, VM can deliver great sounds, it sounds different, and still you can reach the level of softube, with some effects or, filters, or etc. almost.
the sound difference makes me want to use both, and reaktor, that can be at the level of SM, i use VM a lot, and i use it differently, but i have also made modular patches, i use it mainly for the plugin host. the possibilty of making vst plugins modular...

Since this update Native Access won't work on my Win10 laptop. I'm am one of many with this problem by the looks of the forum.
Support ask me to update the drivers for my Intel UHD620, but they are already updated to the latest available for my system.
Why would I need new non-existent drivers to run an INSTALLER PROGRAM to update a program that works fine with the current drivers? It's been a while since I've heard anything more.
I only use Reaktor on this laptop! Why can't I just download it from my web account?

EDIT - for anyone in the same boat I used this approach to install the latest driver not validated by my system which got Native Access working. Then it refused to install R6.3 until I used the NI regedit tool to remove the earlier version. And may God have mercy on my soul!

Only thing i miss is indeed a switch to poly mode but anyway it would overload my cpu with 4 voices. So just using one instance per voice might be better to spread the load.
In my opinion i also think from all (really open) modulars Reaktor still sounds really the best (still i like the sound of P900 much more but it is limited to certain modules).
The workflow is still one of the worst sadly and it is not really fun to use.
Now it is a bit better (for me at least) but yes, like with Kontakt the code is so old that we might never see a really innovative GUI and workflow for these.
Other modulars are so much faster and easy to work with.
I would hope that Reaktor 7 would be a complete new thing...but i doubt it.
However, so far a nice free update as usual.
It might be not easy to bring these old things to a really new level but one day it will bite and others will bring much more interesting to the table.
Of course just my personal opinion.

The workflow with Racks is really fast, I don't know what you're talking about. Nothing bad there. Drop a module, drag wires, play. Not much different than any other modular. Super fun to use.

Cinebient wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:54 am The workflow is still one of the worst sadly and it is not really fun to use.
Now it is a bit better (for me at least) but yes, like with Kontakt the code is so old that we might never see a really innovative GUI and workflow for these.
It might be not easy to bring these old things to a really new level but one day it will bite and others will bring much more interesting to the table.
Others come and go, but Reaktor stays (that's why it is old). The bad thing about old things (like software) is that they somehow loose flexibility and fastness with the age. The good thing is that they gain stability and trustfulness. I learned the hard way that sometimes flexibility and fastness are not that good when we can't trust them to last.
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:01 am The workflow with Racks is really fast, I don't know what you're talking about. Nothing bad there. Drop a module, drag wires, play. Not much different than any other modular. Super fun to use.
In general it is not as smooth and responsive as my favorite choice. I like smooth zooming in and out and there are a few other things about GUI/workflow i miss in Reaktor. But i agree that NOW it is much better but still far away from "smaller" companies. Also like i said this is just my experience on my machine. So it could be that others really like it how it works.
Otherwise Realtor is an amazing tool and the sound is really great. For me just the GUI part and workflow is not on par yet with the sound engine(s).

fmr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am
Cinebient wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:54 am The workflow is still one of the worst sadly and it is not really fun to use.
Others come and go, but Reaktor stays (that's why it is old). The bad thing about old things (like software) is that they somehow loose flexibility and fastness with the age. The good thing is that they gain stability and trustfulness. I learned the hard way that sometimes flexibility and fastness are not that good when we can't trust them to last.
Sure, that is a good point of course but once the sound is there i find the workflow part as much (if nit even more) important these days.
At some point Reaktor for me feels like work and not fun :)

Pure data is still here
So is max
Synth edit

Personally I think vector graphics are the way to go , just have a look at loomers architect/max msp
Loomer's architect is aone men's job, five year in the making and it's fantastic .
And also max/msp ..both use the juce framework , which I don't think N.I. will ever use .
Eyeball exchanging

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:01 am Not much different than any other modular.
Gui wise , reaktor blocks is a few steps beyond .
VCV rack let's you zoom in on every module for fine tuning etc..
More and more developers and choosing vector graphics for a reason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Modular Synthesis”