Synthedit - keyboard pitch CV as "quantized" knob?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there!
I'm trying Synthedit but I'm struggling with an apparently simple but confusing question.

I'd like to use the pitch output of a "keyboard" module (or "MIDI to CV" module) to doing math and stuff with it, but it seems to behave differently compared to a knob or everything else.

While the knob, a textbox converted to CV or everything else output a stable value, the keyboard seems to continually output the lowest "C" overlapped to the last key you pressed. Or something like that.

That's immediately evident if you connect the keyboard to the "pitch" plug of an oscillator without managing the gate with a ADSR+VCA: you can hear the note you press and the lowest C.
If you use a knob instead, you can hear just the pure tone corresponding to its voltage value.

Why? What am I missing? Is there a way to get just the pitch CV of the last pressed key, until another key is pressed, as it was the continuous output of a knob?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I came across this bug a while ago. If I remember correctly it was something to do with the MIDI2CV using more voices than you think. ie:- if you set it to 3 voice poly it still uses a few more in reserve to cover voice stealing. So if you connect it to an oscillator without some form of VCA and only play one note, the other hidden voices don't yet have a pitch, so just drone along in the background.
You will have to ask Jeff McClintock for more info.

I had an issue with MIDI2CV when releasing the connected keyboard keys. I think the note off event does not play at pitch. To get round this I gate latched S and H with pitch. The bend no longer works, or works better, ...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”