What are your favorite software modulars for audio rate modulations?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've yet to really play with it, but MuTools' MUX has audio to modulation conversion (at audio rate) and then those modulators can modulate pretty much anything.

Still P900 (sadly).

Cinebient wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm Still P900 (sadly).
I wish I could use it... quite like the sound quality of it. Alas no Mac VST version and I doubt there ever will be.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:39 pm
Cinebient wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm Still P900 (sadly).
I wish I could use it... quite like the sound quality of it. Alas no Mac VST version and I doubt there ever will be.
For me it is not only the sound (which i find still much better than most other synths which emulates similar things) but also the GUI. There is no modular which works as smooth as this and has perfect way (for me) to navigate, zoom in/out without it feels slow in any way. But yes, it is abandoned. So my next choice might be Drumbo from Beepstreet (mainly a drum modular thingie but it seems to evolve in a kind of little Reaktor with better workflow, iOS only).
There is nothing really i could run on windows i´m impressed about or even a VST as you speak where i could say i like the sound and workflow.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pmSo my next choice might be Drumbo from Beepstreet (mainly a drum modular thingie but it seems to evolve in a kind of little Reaktor with better workflow, iOS only).
There is nothing really i could run on windows i´m impressed about or even a VST as you speak where i could say i like the sound and workflow.
My iPad Pro is purposed for writing and drawing/graphics and it will stay that way. So no iOS music apps for me.

Bitwig's modular environment may end being what works for me. The Grid in the upcoming version 3 is a start of where it will develop. It has some compelling qualities. The workflow is impressive.

For example if you have a sine module with various settings already setup, and want to try a triangle module instead, just drop it on the sine and all the wiring stays as well as the common settings. Drop a module in between 2 modules and it auto wires. Same with deleting it. So you can have a midi clip playing and be editing the Grid and adding and removing modules and the sound never stops playing. Very nice!

Another thing... every connection is in stereo. Having the entire thing in stereo is sweet. Also, anything can be connected to anything.

Of course it is polyphonic and MPE capable and I will assume the system wide voice stacking works with it too. Plus there are advantages that it is an integrated part of the DAW and not a VST. You can setup Macros and Modulation just like any other Bitwig device. Sound quality remains an unknown.

At the moment there are 120+ modules and it enters beta in maybe 3 weeks. For the moment, I'm not buying any other modular environment.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:21 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pmSo my next choice might be Drumbo from Beepstreet (mainly a drum modular thingie but it seems to evolve in a kind of little Reaktor with better workflow, iOS only).
My iPad Pro is purposed for writing and drawing/graphics and it will stay that way. So no iOS music apps for me.

Bitwig's modular environment may end being what works for me. The Grid in the upcoming version 3 is a start of where it will develop. It has some compelling qualities. The workflow is impressive.

For example if you have a sine module with various settings already setup, and want to try a triangle module instead, just drop it on the sine and all the wiring stays as well as the common settings. Drop a module in between 2 modules and it auto wires. Same with deleting it. So you can have a midi clip playing and be editing the Grid and adding and removing modules and the sound never stops playing. Very nice!

Another thing... every connection is in stereo. Having the entire thing in stereo is sweet. Also, anything can be connected to anything.

Of course it is polyphonic and MPE capable and I will assume the system wide voice stacking works with it too. Plus there are advantages that it is an integrated part of the DAW and not a VST. You can setup Macros and Modulation just like any other Bitwig device. Sound quality remains an unknown.

At the moment there are 120+ modules and it enters beta in maybe 3 weeks. For the moment, I'm not buying any other modular environment.
Sounds good. If the cpu usage is not too high (like Reaktor) i might even consider finally the full Bitwig just for the modular fun (i have just Bitwig 8-track so far but i hate the workflow and GUI compared to Logic). I like modulars but most of them using extreme high cpu and/or sounding just not really good (compared to something like P900).
I also like something for live usage where the GUI is fluid and there are new ways to connect modules which works better in live performances etc.
I just wish Drumbo would be VST/AU as well. For me maybe the drum synth/modular thing U-he never will create :)
I hope Bitwig 3 might have similar things as well like parameter locks and stuff.
It is not always about the number of modules if workflow (or sound) sucks at the end.
A shame you will not use your iPad for music because i think a lot tools are outstanding there. Also very easy to connect to a mac at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5IWa5Qmjo

There are a few synths I like to use for audio rate modulation.

ACE is nice because it's such a "simple" and "limited" synth on the surface, but it's actually quite flexible once you really get into it. Limited enough to be inspiring, as I always say :D
I especially like how the crosstalk can totally freak out, especially in combination with audio rate mod.
Just one instance of ACE with quite a bit of audio rate mod and a little bit of Übermod at the very end (This is sound is still of of my favorite sounds I ever made and I really have to stop using it all over the place :hihi:):
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/what-remains-of-us

Bazille is obviously great for audio rate modulation too. It's especially good at creating multiple elements that interact with each other and drift in and out of audio rate mod.
Just one held note from Bazille:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/u-he-b ... icial-life

While maybe not as obvious, Surge can do some pretty cool stuff with very fast modulation too. The feedback, flexible routing, multiple ring modulators, etc add to a nice feature set that's great for sounds that are on the verge of breaking apart. I love this kind of stuff.
One instance of Surge:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/surge-broken-beauty

Of course there is also good ol' Pure Data, blurring the line between sound generation and sound sequencing:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/rec2-ns

Cinebient wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:31 pm
Sounds good. If the cpu usage is not too high (like Reaktor) i might even consider finally the full Bitwig just for the modular fun (i have just Bitwig 8-track so far but i hate the workflow and GUI compared to Logic). I like modulars but most of them using extreme high cpu and/or sounding just not really good (compared to something like P900).
I also like something for live usage where the GUI is fluid and there are new ways to connect modules which works better in live performances etc.
I just wish Drumbo would be VST/AU as well. For me maybe the drum synth/modular thing U-he never will create :)
I hope Bitwig 3 might have similar things as well like parameter locks and stuff.
It is not always about the number of modules if workflow (or sound) sucks at the end.
A shame you will not use your iPad for music because i think a lot tools are outstanding there. Also very easy to connect to a mac at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5IWa5Qmjo
CPU usage is not like Reaktor... of course with any modular, you can put in enough modules to crush your CPU and by its nature it cannot be as CPU efficient as a hardwired set of the same modules.

What do you mean by GUI is fluid for live usage?

So far, Bitwig looks to have the best workflow I have seen on any software modular.

Delta Sign wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 pm ACE is nice because it's such a "simple" and "limited" synth on the surface, but it's actually quite flexible once you really get into it. Limited enough to be inspiring, as I always say :D
I especially like how the crosstalk can totally freak out, especially in combination with audio rate mod.
Just one instance of ACE with quite a bit of audio rate mod and a little bit of Übermod at the very end (This is sound is still of of my favorite sounds I ever made and I really have to stop using it all over the place :hihi:):
Nice patch :)

I would so like an ACE XL that has some lag generators, quantizers, and few other modules... and maybe an extra filter model.

Both ACE and Bazille make some amazing sounds!

Have you explored Cypher 2 much?

I like voltage modular as it makes a naturally great host for my eurorack modular. I expect Bitwig will as well, but the imitated workflow works well for me and eliminates the need for a DAW. I only have 8 modules currently, vm extends that well and helps me to plan what HW modules I want to buy. Oddly, Bitwig doesn’t work overly well with it imho.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 pmI would so like an ACE XL that has some lag generators, quantizers, and few other modules... and maybe an extra filter model.
I would like that too, very much. Maybe next year.

pekbro wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 pm I like voltage modular as it makes a naturally great host for my eurorack modular. I expect Bitwig will as well, but the imitated workflow works well for me and eliminates the need for a DAW. I only have 8 modules currently, vm extends that well and helps me to plan what HW modules I want to buy. Oddly, Bitwig doesn’t work overly well with it imho.
Interesting... generally people have been saying Bitwig works well with hardware.

In the new modular Grid in v3, any signal can be routed straight out (in the Grid itself) to one of the outs of an expert sleeper device. Likewise incoming too.

Urs wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:19 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 pmI would so like an ACE XL that has some lag generators, quantizers, and few other modules... and maybe an extra filter model.
I would like that too, very much. Maybe next year.
:tu:

we need Urs unison... hehehe

Well my modular doesn’t even have midi io currently. Bitwig is simply more steps and less benefit at this point. Certainly, I am also excited to see how well the grid works out, since I plan to work out some interfacing right off.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 pm ACE is nice because it's such a "simple" and "limited" synth on the surface, but it's actually quite flexible once you really get into it. Limited enough to be inspiring, as I always say :D
Nice patch :)

I would so like an ACE XL that has some lag generators, quantizers, and few other modules... and maybe an extra filter model.

Both ACE and Bazille make some amazing sounds!

Have you explored Cypher 2 much?
Thanks!

Yes, ACE XL would still be awesome, even though the "limited" feature set is kind of what makes it so inspiring to me.

I did check out Cypher. It's one of those synths that looks great on paper, but doesn't really inspire me in reality. It sounds great (as far as I could tell from my short demo time) and it has great features, but I somehow didn't really get along with it. That's not Cyper's fault, but more of a subjective thing. I think it's definitely a great synth. My CPU also can't really handle it, which is also not Cypher's fault (Like, I can't even play a single monophonic voice in many cases).

Return to “Modular Synthesis”