Modulair or wait for VCV VST

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ModulAir

There must be at least one Modulair thread here. Some don‘t go to instruments and might have missed it...; - )
Those two compete on the freebee side of things...
Pro VCV its open source...
Pro Modulair its there...

Thanks, Tj! :)

BTW ModulAir is not meant to compete with VCV, and the concept is different, too. My recommendation is to pick both. :tu:

Cheers, Björn

Of course its not meant to compete...; - )
I found VCV extremely inspiring and it forces you into a different mindset because its not a VST (yet).
Modulair is a VST from the start and is polyphonic without hassle.
Though to turn any of those into a MPE capable beast is still a bit of a hassle. In VCV you have to duplicate all those voices, and with Modulair I have to incorporate some help of Bitwigs Instrument Layer (which would turn any monophonic synth into a MPE capable monster...)

May be quite a long wait....from the Dev

The VST version of Rack will support multiple instances, DAW automation with parameter labels, offline rendering, MIDI input, DAW transport, and multi-channel audio. Development may take about 1 year.

It will also cost around 99USD
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

Its not free but for $65 in current sale Softube Modular is very good value. Sound quality is very good and cpu usage seems better than VCV rack. It can work as both instrument and also VST effect.

orbita wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:08 pm Its not free but for $65 in current sale Softube Modular is very good value. Sound quality is very good and cpu usage seems better than VCV rack. It can work as both instrument and also VST effect.
I would not say that STM has better CPU than VCV rack. However, Rack really hammers the GPU too, which gets the fans spinning up.

orbita wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:08 pm Its not free but for $65 in current sale Softube Modular is very good value. Sound quality is very good and cpu usage seems better than VCV rack. It can work as both instrument and also VST effect.
There are not too many fans of Softube Modular. Interesting to meet one of them...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=517213

Wow, amazing job.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm Pro VCV its open source...
Just wondering, but... why is that a pro in your book, as a end consumer?

Pro as opposed to contra... Its latin based and has no meaning regarding professional vs. consumer which is a stupid diversification anyway. Mostly marketing aimed at consumers to make them accept a high price...
Read it as „Pro VCV: its open source“ which is an argument not only regarding price, its more likely to survive if the original creators would stop supporting it...
Anyway VCV is a proffessionally crafted software as well as Modulair.
The reason I posted here was that I thought Modulair should be discussed in this forum as well. Its covered fine in Instruments...
If I need a modular mind set within a DAW I‘d grab Modulair. I found VCV inspireing, and I am covered well with my MAX/MSP for unlimited flexibility...
The forthcoming Bitwig 3 might scramble that scenario though...
Btw. most KVR members are at least prosumers not many consumers here which only listen to music...
But maybe I misunderstood, and you think open source is only interesting for programmers? I exlained above already the advantage, and yes I do (low level) programming from time to time as well, but would not bother to dive into VCV...

.. and that pro is nicely demonstrated right here:
sth wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:09 pm Have you seen: https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack
@Tj Shredder: Why on earth not test VeeSeeVSTRack? It's basically VCV but fully functioning as a VST plugin. No need to wait at all. Massive awesome modular inside your DAW.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 pm .. and that pro is nicely demonstrated right here:
sth wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:09 pm Have you seen: https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack
@Tj Shredder: Why on earth not test VeeSeeVSTRack? It's basically VCV but fully functioning as a VST plugin. No need to wait at all. Massive awesome modular inside your DAW.
+1
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:30 pm
There are not too many fans of Softube Modular. Interesting to meet one of them...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=517213
I own STM for close to 2 years. It is worthless. Nothing is good about it.
I also do own a real Big Modular and VCV amd Reaktor, they are used daily.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”