Suggestion to a newbie to start his Modular soft synth Journey

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

Really appreciate to you guys to suggest me a Modular synth (soft). I just narrowed down 2 softube Modular and Cherry's VM or even Tasman. Softube seems to me has lesser module then VM but based on my research both of them sounds pretty good to my ear. In terms of learning curve, visibility (graphic and connecting cables etc) and future expansion + costing. BTW, I am not a mad scientist and just make dance tunes like Trance/Electro stuff). Which one you guys suggest?

PS Please don't suggest VCV rack, thanks. I am looking for paid version.

Thanks!
Cowby

I know you don't want VCV suggested but have you actually tried it... and it can be paid for.
By that I mean there are paid for modules... The framework (ie the rack) is free as are many modules by independent devs.
I have about $100 invested in paid modules already with more being added to my collection.
Last edited by toonertik on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Tonnertik for your suggestion on VCV. However, very embarrassing ... I don't even know what to download. I d/l Rack 0.6.2c and it turns out was a 32 and 64bit bridge ?

Aha.. VCV is not YET a VST...
It is a standalone application (There will be a VST version later)
The 32 and 64 bit bridge are VSTs that load into a regular DAW and allow some comunication between the DAW and VCV_Rack.
As it is not a VST, it might not be what you want, however I do suggest you at least take it for a spin (try it) it is really quite addictive and extremly powerful with a really freindly and very helpful user group on FB with detailed Youtube tutorials.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack/

Thanks will try to taste the power of VCV a little bit later.

As it is not a VST so I will continue to research on those 3 I mentioned.

:tu:

ACE from U-he is semi modular and a great synth to start with if you want to learn the concept of modular. It's also the cheapest of the U-he bunch. Arturia Modular V3 is the largest modular synth I have. It's fully modular. The experience I gained from ACE made modular V3 easier to grasp.

I know Softube is probably more like VCV in the way how it's built up. I never went for Softube modular myself so I can't say how good it is. Price is reasonable. If you are on Mac then I would absolutely check out P900. I only heard demos on Youtube but it sounds like a beast. I would buy P900 right now if it was available for Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ATampDCwY
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am If you are on Mac then I would absolutely check out P900. I only heard demos on Youtube but it sounds like a beast. I would buy P900 right now if it was available for Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ATampDCwY
:tu:
Me too if it ever goes win (not holding my breath for that ).

TAL-Mod
seriously
semi-modular
sensible price
always sounds good

Dave

re: VCV Rack
cowby wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:22 am As it is not a VST so I will continue to research on those 3 I mentioned.
An unofficial VST plugin version is available:

https://github.com/bsp2/VeeSeeVSTRack

Downloads linked there for 32/64-bit Windows and 64-bit Linux.

Thread about it on KVR:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=507216

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it is a simple way to get into modular with a VST.

Best,

dp

dave dove wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:38 am TAL-Mod
seriously
semi-modular
sensible price
always sounds good

Dave
+1

Also, you might investigate Alpha Forever. (I don't have it, but the demos sound good, and it's inexpensive.) Reaktor is always a strong choice, and now with blocks it is closer to the hardware modular paradigm. However, I would probably avoid Tassman, as it is essentially abandonware at this point.
A well-behaved signature.

At this point for a payed virtual Eurorack thing I would go for Softube modular with Heartbeat (gives you the Heartbeat drum modules along with Heartbeat) or Reaktor and use Reaktor Blocks. There is a huge selection of Blocks modules in the Reaktor user library for free. Also there a a few modular synth contributions to the user library that are not in the Blocks format. The plus side of going with Reaktor is that you get the commercial library of ensembles plus the giant user library.

Cherry’s VM seems to be still getting off the ground even if it is for sale. There was a review in the recent Computer Music magazine.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

ATN69 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am ACE from U-he is semi modular and a great synth to start with if you want to learn the concept of modular. It's also the cheapest of the U-he bunch. Arturia Modular V3 is the largest modular synth I have. It's fully modular. The experience I gained from ACE made modular V3 easier to grasp.
I think that ACE is a great recommendation. It sounds excellent, has presets by Howard Scarr (and YouTube tutorials by him, too), and you can make some very complex and interesting patches with it. It looks deceptively simple. Sometimes with modular synthesis, less is more in terms of getting your creativity going.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:18 am
ATN69 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am ACE from U-he is semi modular and a great synth to start with if you want to learn the concept of modular...
I think that ACE is a great recommendation.
Adding my voice to the ACE praise chorus.

Although I'm a dedicated VCV Racketeer I also use and love the u-he modulars, especially ACE and Bazille. I actually got into Rack in order to learn more about how the u-he synths do their magic (I hadn't worked with modulars, real or virtual, so I had/have a lot to learn).

Good luck, have fun !

dp

That make my trip ticket decision more complex :dog: VM is on sale and I will try the demo and see if it fits me.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”