First osc module?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, just starting out brand new. I've got my power supply, I've got my midi input module. Now, I'm looking for a osc that will work well as a lead. So doesn't have to be polyphonic. I've looked at braids, however it is digital (I'm not like an analog purest but at the same time I've listened to the demos it's not really the sound I'm going for and honestly if I'm gonna spend all this money on this stuff I'd rather have something I like the sound of more than this (also epic run on sentence)).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There are so many options I could write about them all day. Probably your best bet is to just keep listening to demos.

I happen to mostly like digital VCOs and then a combination of analog and digital processing. But as far as analog goes, I've been really happy with the Pittsburgh Lifeforms Double Helix. It's almost a complete synth voice in itself, just add envelopes. Two saw-core VCOs, LFO, noise generator, wavefolder, lowpass gate, a flexible modulation bus that has a routable VCA. The VCOs don't have sync inputs though, and there is some weird crosstalk all over the place (but that's kind of part of its charm).

If I were starting out now and looking specifically for analog, I'd look seriously at Instruo CsL or TsL, Pittsburgh Lifeforms Primary Oscillator, or Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. Mannequins Mangrove is nice too, just not great for FM.

For digital, SynthTech E352 or Erica Graphic VCO, the Noise Engineering stuff, Hertz Donut, or Tides maybe. I do like Plaits (the successor to Braids) but consider it as a flexible secondary oscillator more than anything -- it works nicely alongside Rings.

cloud generator is pretty nice, has options for fm as well as a layered saw thing going on.

Waldorf NW1 can be picked up for a song, thats good for leads amongst other funkay stuff
£169
Amazon: why not use an alternative

supriseitsathrowaway wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 am Hello, just starting out brand new. I've got my power supply, I've got my midi input module...
I'm going to start my foray into modular next year, so I'm just here to see what everyone reccomends :)

kattstrike wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:49 pm
supriseitsathrowaway wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 am Hello, just starting out brand new. I've got my power supply, I've got my midi input module...
I'm going to start my foray into modular next year, so I'm just here to see what everyone reccomends :)
the best advice i received was "make a plan, but be ready for that plan to change"

you will have a basic idea of the synth you want to build when you begin, you will find as you add more and spend more time with your synth, its capabilities along the way will give you different ideas of where to take it.

if you haven't already, maybe take a look at something like vcv rack, and get an idea of what modules interest you :)

Behringer Neutron then add modules as required
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 pm Behringer Neutron then add modules as required
that's a great idea for a few reasons, price of course. then its also a complete synth, so you can make sounds you enjoy out of the box. and finally, it gives you an idea whether or not you are going to enjoy patching cables.

i think the complete synth factor is the most important, for a beginner especially. when i got my bugs system, as it was being built piece by piece, for a while all i had was an oscillator and an output :cry: gets a bit boring :hihi:
i knew that was the case going in though and was fully prepared for the fact id be spending money on stuff i couldn't really use for much for a while.

vurt wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 pm Behringer Neutron then add modules as required
that's a great idea for a few reasons, price of course. then its also a complete synth, so you can make sounds you enjoy out of the box. and finally, it gives you an idea whether or not you are going to enjoy patching cables.

i think the complete synth factor is the most important, for a beginner especially. when i got my bugs system, as it was being built piece by piece, for a while all i had was an oscillator and an output :cry: gets a bit boring :hihi:
i knew that was the case going in though and was fully prepared for the fact id be spending money on stuff i couldn't really use for much for a while.
Ditto.

https://youtu.be/19AuybXHk_4
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Modular Synthesis”