u-he view on vcv

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:... I wish the tuning of the modules (oscillators, step sequencers) was displayed somewhere on the GUI. Tuning by ear sucks.
NYSTHI's Hot Tuna module is your friend.

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:... I wish the tuning of the modules (oscillators, step sequencers) was displayed somewhere on the GUI. Tuning by ear sucks.
NYSTHI's Hot Tuna module is your friend.

Best,

dp
Oh, hell yeah, just find a whole slew [no pun intended] of new modules. Thanks!

chk071 wrote:To be honest, i can understand Urs' point of view. There's a lot of "everything has to be free" attitude these days, in regards to software. And, stuff like VCVR definitely devalues other software.
VCVR has obviously devalued Softube Modular... What a pity! :roll:

TBH, now that i read what i wrote again, i'd argue that VCVR doesn't devaule anything. After all, it is more of an island solution, because it doesn't support VST anyway. AND, even when it did, i don't really think it devalues quality stuff like Reaktor and Softube Modular anyway. Just like Linux doesn't devalue Windows, or Mac OS.

i do not think the free plugins devaluete payed plugins. it is for people who do not have lot of money, or almost none, great that there is reaper (ok not free, but cheap, although it can be al lot of money for some people), and quite a lot of great free plugins. and for people with money it is also great...

but as you see at this forum or other fora, you will see that the taste of what you want, differs from person to person.

i prefer FM8 above Dexed, while Dexed is very good. but FM8 tickles me...

i have vcv rack and softube modular (and all it's specific modular add-ons, and the saturation knob and the tsar-r1). i can do more with softube, why? i do not know, things are always personal (a very flawed plugin is a very flawed plugin, but at a certain level, workflow, character, etc. what you want... etc. are more important).
i love the vcv rack, and i will buy some modules to support the rack.

i love the korg synths of full bucket! they are free and great!

but i also own the korg special bundle, and arturia, and NI 11 ultimate, and..

Not sure if i get all what was posted here but i also don´t think VCV devalues anything really like the Model D app for 5 dollar which sounds as good or better as any Minimoog plug-in does not devalue the hardware or the much more expensive plug-ins.
If U-he would make even a small Berlin modular with the great GUI´s and workflow they offer right now i would trough all my money on it.
Personally i find some less expensive synths more interesting but that doesn´t devalue all my U-he synths as well.
As usual value is in the eye of the beholder.
Make a better sounding and more interesting tool, that´s it.
Maybe it´s time for more and cheaper competition that the more famous developers try something new or finally release some of the "promised" (dramatized) stuff.
I also could say that independent developers which output even more amazing DSP suffers from the payed famous brands because the fly under the radar.
Whatever. I have no clue of course, i´m just a stupid customer which buys whatever makes me happy and of course i´m happy too if i get something cheap or for free to start with.
What i like about VCV rack and other similar offers (like the Voltage Modular now) is that it give me a kind of big roadmap and i can imagine to dive really deep into it.
I LOVE U-he synths really but these days i don´t know where it goes with them, if there is a kind of roadmap, if all these superb alpha and/or experiments like the drum modular and fantasy Berlin Modular thingie will ever be reality.
I wish them all a bright future but these days it needs a lot more to attract new buyers and/or impress old fellows.
There are also things happening like open source codes which gives other developers the option to create their own synths and FX and have a start into the world of apps and plug-ins.
Some of them might create something really outstanding someday which has never happened maybe otherwise.

^^^ :clap:

Cinebient wrote: Maybe it´s time for more and cheaper competition that the more famous developers try something new or finally release some of the "promised" (dramatized) stuff.
Continually reduced prices will destroy a good thing...

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote: Maybe it´s time for more and cheaper competition that the more famous developers try something new or finally release some of the "promised" (dramatized) stuff.
Maybe but famous developers which overcome „better“ independent developers are not better.
It might getting harder to output something really new these days of course. The market is so saturated and even most major DAW‘s comes with great content without a need of third party tools.
So creating kind of a long term thingie and/or platform (like a modular with new interesting modules) is what i‘m interested in.
Sadly mostly independent developers loose the market and most (not all) of the more famous and bigger companies just don‘t deliver.
Of course just my opinion.
At least i‘m healed from G.A.S. and don‘t bought any synths or FX now since some time.
....oh...but there are all the nice Kontakt libraries, doh‘.

Cinebient wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Maybe but famous developers which overcome „better“ independent developers are not better.
It might getting harder to output something really new these days of course. The market is so saturated and even most major DAW‘s comes with great content without a need of third party tools.
So creating kind of a long term thingie and/or platform (like a modular with new interesting modules) is what i‘m interested in.
Sadly mostly independent developers loose the market and most (not all) of the more famous and bigger companies just don‘t deliver.
Of course just my opinion.
At least i‘m healed from G.A.S. and don‘t bought any synths or FX now since some time.
....oh...but there are all the nice Kontakt libraries, doh‘.
define better? Lots of less well known developers are fly by nighters... they do something then they are gone. Take your favorite... P900... cannot depend on the developer. It doesn't work in my DAW, likely never will and may be abandonware. That is not a complaint. I have no problem with developers coming and going and doing what they wish... however that does not mean I am giving my money.

You said "most of the more famous and bigger companies just don't deliver"

which ones are those? Please list the ones you think don't deliver.

Btw... I think VCV is cool. I'm sure I will try it at some point.Maybe when it is declared version 1.

People always want the lowest price (except the richer ones). That devaluates the pricier goods.

I have never found u-he to be arrogant AT ALL, far from it. I think OP is crazy.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Some developers make stuff out of love, and not profit, and will happily release stuff for free or reasonable prices if it gives something back to a positive community. But sometimes that community switches to a bunch of spoiled entitled brats who deserve what they get.
<List your stupid gear here>

I´m a little bit confused...

At one hand i like Urs and his thoughts on synths and what he did. At other hand the VC Rack is one best Modular Synths which i saw on screen (I hopefuly wait that the ,,next´´ Oscillot will be a good competitor.

So Urs, i respect your opinion but as user, VC Rack makes a lot right and in this case i wish
The best of both worl.... ähm...opinions for the users. Thanks!

Mat-tvank wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 am I´m a little bit confused...

At one hand i like Urs and his thoughts on synths and what he did. At other hand the VC Rack is one best Modular Synths which i saw on screen (I hopefuly wait that the ,,next´´ Oscillot will be a good competitor.

So Urs, i respect your opinion but as user, VC Rack makes a lot right and in this case i wish
The best of both worl.... ähm...opinions for the users. Thanks!
My opinion is my very private opinion. I can like VCV Rack as a software, but at the same time I can dislike its impact on the industry I am part of.

Due to VCV Rack I see no point in doing any further modular software, other than maybe for the fun of it. I won't be able to pay my employees' salaries from designing and selling modular synthesizer software. Whatever we put out, there'll be someone saying "... but VCV Rack". And yes, they're right. It's pointless. Most other, if not all, softsynths resembling modular synthesizers will simply decay into oblivion, regardless if they're better or not.

The only thing that makes sense is creating modules for VCV rack itself. But in my opinion that train has passed as well. With 1000+ modules available, we're too late. That game is over, unless we produce super cheap, i.e. repackage stuff we have for super low prices. But that might water down our reputation and thus sales of other products. Not sure if I want to take that risk.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”