u-he view on vcv

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some interesting if philosophical posts....

VCV rack- just too good to be free?

Is it threatening to people who make a living making VSTs? Innovation and open source communities meet the commercial world.

It’s a pretty easy platform to make your first ‘hello world’ simple module....that’s good right?

Innovation and charity modules like Mutable Instruments preview for marbles and plaits, that’s good right?

Too many free modules a bad thing? No worse than too many paid VSTs....each artist must learn to limit their pallet, that shouldn’t be limited by how much money they have.

VCV is Amazing, I have already spent over 60 bucks on paid modules and will not hesitate to spend more....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It would just be nice to have a 'PAYED' u-he filter or bazille osc in vcv rack , that's all .
Pretty sure some people would applaud that / willing to pay for it ..even if vcv is free .
There hasn't been a community like this since the old 'buzz' tracker days .
I own reaktor , a nord modular , but have the most fun with vcv :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Why on earth is https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html not linked from their front page? Why is it only accessible through Google search? (Using Safari...)

Anyhow. I spoke to some of the team today and they think we should give it a try if it's as simple as it looks, and if the shop works in a way we can live with.

Urs wrote:Why on earth is https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html not linked from their front page? Why is it only accessible through Google search? (Using Safari...)
It is if you're logged in, possibly to stop casual users downloading the plugins thinking they're just VSTs then wondering why nothing works !

Urs wrote:Why on earth is https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html not linked from their front page? Why is it only accessible through Google search? (Using Safari...)

Anyhow. I spoke to some of the team today and they think we should give it a try if it's as simple as it looks, and if the shop works in a way we can live with.

Now thats what I call a result, you have a sale here once its up, I hope it works out for you....just think of it as an open source Reason rack :clap:

Now, about teaming up with BitWig on their 'suite' version with U-HE instruments :love:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Urs wrote:... I spoke to some of the team today and they think we should give it a try if it's as simple as it looks, and if the shop works in a way we can live with.
OMG. I do love me some u-he, some Rack, and a lot of Linux. If u-he products show up on the Rack then I will most definitely become a hog in the fat-house.

Incidentally, I got into Rack not least because of the beautiful sounds of the u-he plugins. I wanted to know how basic modular synthesis works, hoping that programming in VCV Rack would help me program my own sounds in Bazille or Diva. I think I've learned some cool stuff, now I just have to leave the Rack occasionally and start using my DAWs again. :) Not for nothing do some of us refer to it as "VCV Crack".

Best,

dp

We do that so users don't get overwhelmed before even downloading Rack and registering an account. It's visible once logged in. But good call, I've added it back since there's no other public link to that page.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

I'm new to VCV and was playing around over the weekend. My quick take on VCV Rack was (in order):

1. Open platform modular Eurorack-style synth? Hell yes!!! Why the hell didn't Softube just open theirs up? Love this.

2. No VST plugin? There's a bridge thing? Oh no! That means I'll never end up using it.

3. Still, pretty damn cool in standalone.

4. Actually, this is turning into a LOT of fun.

5. But damn do I wish the tuning of the modules (oscillators, step sequencers) was displayed somewhere on the GUI. Tuning by ear sucks.

6. Polyphony would be nice. Not authentic, but Softube figured it out and made it work.

7. Ok, let me Google "VCV Rack VST" and see if the developer commented on the topic. Maybe I missed an FAQ on the website.

8. Oh crap! A KVR user made a VST plugin? Why am I not seeing the Modular Synthesis forum by default? Fixing my KVR profile.

9. Sweet baby Jebus, after dealing with some confusion about how to install it, the VST plugin actually works insanely well! Except for no automation/MIDI learn.

10. This totally needs a U-he filter module. I'd easily pay for one. Needs a good step sequencer too.

And here I am.

Urs wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:Peace.
Yes please.

I have more insights on the topic. One is, my company owns more Eurorack modules than you'd ever hope to stuff into a single instance of VCVR. Yet, I build very small racks to make music, 20-30 modules max. I very much come from a less-is-more mindset. Therefore, software - or synthesizers in general - which are boundless do not do much for me. I think they promote a lazier angle to production than challenging systems.

Example given ("Butter bei die Fische" as a German saying goes), here's a rack I performed which has only two oscillators, two filters and Rings as sound sources, plus drums from Peaks (and a spring reverb). There are only 2 sequencers with 4 steps each (!) for sequencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFXq3QzxmA

The actual layout is https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/487823 plus the Vermona Retroverb.

I'm convinced that this style of modular synthesis is difficult to cultivate if the next module is just a click away. And - yep, I'll say it - I love the tactile experience with this kind of hardware.

How the hell do you even work with that? Damn thats a mess. I detest cables with all my might. If someone brought that into my studio, i would ask them to leave :hihi:

Exactly why I started this thread , hoping you would give it a try / a change of heart ?
I knew you were a swell guy :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

I think it's somewhat funny that 30 modules can be considered a very small rack. That seems completely huge to me. Then again, Urs has forgotten more about synthesis than I'll ever know, so it's all relative.

One of the nice things about VCV is it makes Eurorack less scary (at least for me). After playing with VCV this weekend, the thought crossed my mind that I could start building up a Eurorack setup. I ultimately decided that would be a stupid time/money suck for my particular skills or needs, but the thought never crossed my mind before. If I really started to connect wiht the software, I know me, I'd spend the next few years buying hardware modules.

AnX wrote:
Urs wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:Peace.
Yes please.

I have more insights on the topic. One is, my company owns more Eurorack modules than you'd ever hope to stuff into a single instance of VCVR. Yet, I build very small racks to make music, 20-30 modules max. I very much come from a less-is-more mindset. Therefore, software - or synthesizers in general - which are boundless do not do much for me. I think they promote a lazier angle to production than challenging systems.

Example given ("Butter bei die Fische" as a German saying goes), here's a rack I performed which has only two oscillators, two filters and Rings as sound sources, plus drums from Peaks (and a spring reverb). There are only 2 sequencers with 4 steps each (!) for sequencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFXq3QzxmA

The actual layout is https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/487823 plus the Vermona Retroverb.

I'm convinced that this style of modular synthesis is difficult to cultivate if the next module is just a click away. And - yep, I'll say it - I love the tactile experience with this kind of hardware.

How the hell do you even work with that? Damn thats a mess. I detest cables with all my might. If someone brought that into my studio, i would ask them to leave :hihi:
Moreover, having to contort one's neck, and make tweezer-fingers to manipulate the controls is not my idea of a tactile experience.

Please tell me that the software racks give the option to hide cables, once patched :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Please tell me that the software racks give the option to hide cables, once patched :tu:
VCV let's you change the opacity of the cables so you could just make them completely invisible.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Please tell me that the software racks give the option to hide cables, once patched :tu:
VCV let's you change the opacity of the cables so you could just make them completely invisible.
Even better :clap: :clap:

Thanks!

an when the cables are 100´% transparent , they light up when hovering over an in/output.
The gui is fantastic .
So great to see u-he on board .
NOw cytomic and Synapse audio :D
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Modular Synthesis”