[announce] VeeSeeVST Rack VST2 plugin

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VCV Rack

melodyz wrote:HI what is that vst host you are using in your videos? Is there something special about it?
that's one of my pet projects. One of the main reasons I built it was to get around some of the (current) Reason limitations (it can be used as a VST plugin in Reason, and it supports multi channel MIDI / MPE, gives you very precise control over multi-processing, and has a couple of other neat tricks up its sleeve. It's still work-in-progress, no idea if it will ever be released.).

Changelog:

Code: Select all

** September 10th, 2018
- add module bsp.Legato
  • The Legato module can be used for legato pitch slides (i.e. only slide when previous note key is still held down). See here for more info. https://vimeo.com/289179348
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-10Sep2018.7z
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win32_bin-10Sep2018.7z
Last edited by bsp804 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsp804 wrote:
  • The Legato module can be used for legato pitch slides (i.e. only slide when previous note key is still held down). See here for more info.
Thank you. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Thank you for your hard work.
I hope you will release one day your Mpe host.
If you need some tester, a lot of people here should enjoy helping you.
Best
YY

thanks!
i report here a little thing that probably get lost in the thread flow...
lalo wrote: I was doing it with the new VeeSeeVST (sept. 6th) but i was doing on a song built with a previous VeeSeeVST version. I did it now on a new song loading to fresh instances and now it is working.
I noticed a strange thing BTW.
If i assign some Reaper envelopes to the parameters ad then i do MIDI learn on the Reaper envelopes to write my automation wuth an external controller, different parameters behave in different ways.
I.e automating the time knobs of the DelayPlus Stereo FX by AS i have the full range with in the range of 0-10 of my midi controller. I should have the full range in the 0-127 midi controller range. Can you reproduce it? BTW im' on Reaper 5.95rc1 on Win7 64x.

Installed latest version... UI is very unresponsive, takes seconds to load module browser. Can't do anything.

Ableton 10, Windows 10, no cpu usage in task manager...
Last edited by mispoes on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

hi so am I the only one getting unresponsive modules in 2 daws? from 2 updates ago? i havent updated to the most recent so I do not know if this has been looked into.

Whywhy wrote:Thank you for your hard work.
I hope you will release one day your Mpe host.
If you need some tester, a lot of people here should enjoy helping you.
As a VST2 plugin that uses OpenGL, hosts other plugins that also might use OpenGL (e.g. Softube, Waves), running in a DAW that also might use OpenGL, on systems with a huge variety of GPUs and GL driver revisions, this is a support nightmare.

There are just too many variables and too many things that can and _will_ go wrong, and most likely too many people that will post too many bizarre bug reports (I simply don't have time for that!).

On a side note: I've done other OpenGL projects for my day time job in the past and have seen some weird things happening, especially when multithreading / multiple render contexts are involved. You know, things that _should_ work but simply didn't (or sometimes didn't) b/c of some undocumented GL driver issues.

Last but not least, the whole VST2 situation is very confusing to me. In case you have not heard, Steinberg tries to kill the VST2 format and I am not sure what this all really means from a legal point of view (I downloaded my copy of the SDK more than a decade ago!). This VSVR plugin is most likely going to be my last (public) VST2.

lalo wrote:If i assign some Reaper envelopes to the parameters ad then i do MIDI learn on the Reaper envelopes to write my automation wuth an external controller, different parameters behave in different ways.
I.e automating the time knobs of the DelayPlus Stereo FX by AS i have the full range with in the range of 0-10 of my midi controller. I should have the full range in the 0-127 midi controller range. Can you reproduce it? BTW im' on Reaper 5.95rc1 on Win7 64x.
I just downloaded Reaper v5.95 (Sep 10th build) and yes, there seems to be an issue with Reaper. For example, after MIDI learning CC#1 for param 11, Reaper modulated param 1 instead. Guess you'll have to wait for a new Reaper release. The same thing works fine in other DAWs (tested in my own host and in Reason 10).
mispoes wrote:Installed latest version... UI is very unresponsive, takes seconds to load module browser. Can't do anything.

I can only guess that this might be a GL driver issue. Which one are you using (GPU type and driver revision) ? Maybe a driver update will fix it.

melodyz wrote:hi so am I the only one getting unresponsive modules in 2 daws? from 2 updates ago? i havent updated to the most recent so I do not know if this has been looked into.
The modules you mentioned (Macro Oscillator and Quantum) work fine here (I'm using the Macro Osc a lot !)
The only way for me to reproduce this is to let the plugin become idle but you said that this happens even with the idle detection turned off (..are you really a 100% sure you turned it off ?).

bsp804 wrote:
mispoes wrote:Installed latest version... UI is very unresponsive, takes seconds to load module browser. Can't do anything.

I can only guess that this might be a GL driver issue. Which one are you using (GPU type and driver revision) ? Maybe a driver update will fix it.

Thx! Updated Intel HD driver and now everything working ok... Thank you for your work and patience!
Greetings from Belgium :)

its working fine. I turned idle mode to always active and it works. whew!

mispoes wrote:Thx! Updated Intel HD driver and now everything working ok...[..]
cool, glad to hear that. thanks for the feedback!
melodyz wrote:its working fine. I turned idle mode to always active and it works. whew!
another mystery solved ;)
you don't necessarily have to turn off the idle detection feature, i.e. try setting it to "wake on MIDI note on" and make sure that the patch produces sound while you're using the waveform selector (in the macro osc), or the note-selection buttons in the Quantum module.
In other words: just play some notes (via MIDI) while you're editing your patch.
I know this is not perfect but there's no way to fix this without changing the UI code in those modules, and there are many other modules which have the same issue.

I've just published a video showing my first steps with VeeSeeVST Rack in Ableton Live.

It's here: VeeSee VST Rack - First Impressions

Tried in Bitwig, Bitwig failed to see the vst. I get this error:

EDIT: Run Bitwig as adminstrator, all ok! :p

In my latest video screencast I create 45 minutes of drone madness using only one basic oscillator and two tuned delay lines (TDLY) modulated by what must be the slowest LFO in existence for an unpredictable breakout of pure chaos.

VeeSee VST Rack drone improvisation session

bsp804 wrote:I just downloaded Reaper v5.95 (Sep 10th build) and yes, there seems to be an issue with Reaper. For example, after MIDI learning CC#1 for param 11, Reaper modulated param 1 instead. Guess you'll have to wait for a new Reaper release. The same thing works fine in other DAWs (tested in my own host and in Reason 10).
I see no other plugin having this sort of issue (assigning MIDI learn to a particular parameter but another one gets modulated instead), so I don't think it's necessarily Reaper's fault. I went through at least 20 different plugins and it's all fine.

mispoes wrote:Tried in Bitwig, Bitwig failed to see the vst [..] Run Bitwig as adminstrator, all ok! :p
all I can tell you is that the plugin definitely does not require admin rights (unless you somehow changed the file permissions so only an administrator account can access them).

EvilDragon wrote:
bsp804 wrote:I just downloaded Reaper v5.95 (Sep 10th build) and yes, there seems to be an issue with Reaper. For example, after MIDI learning CC#1 for param 11, Reaper modulated param 1 instead. Guess you'll have to wait for a new Reaper release. The same thing works fine in other DAWs (tested in my own host and in Reason 10).
I see no other plugin having this sort of issue (assigning MIDI learn to a particular parameter but another one gets modulated instead), so I don't think it's necessarily Reaper's fault. I went through at least 20 different plugins and it's all fine.
The MIDI learn feature is something that's happening entirely outside the plugin.
The actual parameter automation is working fine (e.g. via envelopes), it's just Reaper's MIDI to parameter mapping that is not working correctly.
I just found out that you can make Reaper send the correct automation by _bypassing_ the envelope which you have assigned a MIDI controller (when the env is enabled, the automated knob either just flickers briefly or does not move at all when it is controlled via MIDI) (the envelope must not be empty for bypass to work).

However, with a modwheel CC mapped to a param in Reaper, it still automates _two_ parameters, "1" and the actual param.
When a different CC is used (e.g. CC#002), this does not happen.

One last observation: After creating a new Reaper project (the test project was created with a slightly older version of Reaper), the issue disappeared (but it was still necessary to bypass the envelope for proper MIDI control).

Return to “Modular Synthesis”